My first older Jeep,looking for input.

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
CascadeHillbilly

My first older Jeep,looking for input.

Post by CascadeHillbilly »

Hello all, NEW to the site, but glad to be here. From what ive read so far, lots of knowledgable folks here hoopefully I can get a few REAL answers.
So heres my situation. Yesterday I purchased an 1971 Wagoneer for 500$. Supposed to run/drive, but needs LOTS of work including floorboards and the like. I towed to rig home, and soon found the drivers door was drozen shut. With some minimal "ASSISTANCE" lol, I got the door open. I grabbed the serial numbers etc. to start looking for parts and any information I could find on the rig. So early this morning im surfing, and learning, and finding(and not finding) parts that I will be needing to get my new toy up and running. So im reading this article about several different models produced, including something called a 1414X. I immediately think to myself thats odd, I could swear thats what my serial number stated with", So i bring up my pics on my phone, and ...... sure enough 1414X-- ------. So now im trying to find any informatiom on my truck to determin what it was originally equipped with , as well as ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING I can learn about it. Something that stands out to me immediately is that from what I have read THUS FAR, the 1414X was typically a console auto on the floor. However, mine is a Manual Trans. The seals in it appear to be original in the front, but are power seats. The rear window is NOT powered, it does have the woodgrain strip down the sides, as well as what appears to be a quite extensive chrome or stainless Trim package. 350 V8. Controls for A/C in the dash, but no A/C components under the hood. There is lot of oddities for me to explore here, and im just trying to determine what exactly I have here, not only to see how rare it may be, but to determine the best coarse of action to bring it back to somthing close to its original form.

So with this all said, does anyone have any sugestions as to where I can find out the entire serial number breakdown, or have any extensive knowledge about if this thing has just been frankenstiened together, or if it just came with different options than a large number of the other 1414X vehicles. MANY THANKS ahead of time, and look forward to hearing from anyone who can help me get on my path to enlightenment with the Dino Wagon.

tgreese

Re: My first older Jeep,looking for input.

Post by tgreese »

There is some serial number info on the mothership (IFSJA). http://www.ifsja.org/tech/figures/index.html

Browse through there and see if it answers some questions. If you search using Google or Bing for "1414X" at IFSJA or here you should find some additional info on these "X" Jeeps. Note that Kaiser-Jeep did not put much info in the VIN numbers, specifically the VIN does not specify the year. They also did not much conform to the yearly model revisions of the Big Three, so changes were made when they came along in many cases.

https://www.bing.com/search?form=MOZTSB ... .org+1414X

Jeep cooperated with owners that wanted special mixes of features and options, generally. Just because a drivetrain combo did not exist in the sales literature does not mean it was never special ordered. Dealers put together special combos too.

There is a dealer parts book online here - https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html (62-73 J-series). If you can find them the original factory service manuals can be very helpful. Not sure what other literature is available - check BJ's and Faxon.

You could read Jim Allen's thread here - https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... =7&t=15159 Jim is well-known in the Jeep world.

First post! Welcome from sunny Massachusetts.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

Welcome to the asylum... do a search and you should find some local junkyards... the joke was that FSJ do not rust in the NW, they mold...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Lol yea ive seen some realllly moldy interiors on these.. but they rust and mold unfortunatly in the east coast
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

The 350 should be the Buick, not Chevy or anything else, Jeep called them Dauntless. Unless it has been swapped out,
which seems to happen a lot. A manual trans makes me think it was. V8Buick is a good site for info on these motors.
http://www.v8buick.com/index.php
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

mud89

Post by mud89 »

Congrats for this rare bird, i can help too, i contributed to Jim' article on 1414Xs and 1414Ds in "Dispatcher"
According to your serial number she was built either in the 1970 last months or in january 71
I guess that the yellow and black sticker on the driver door jamb is no more there, otherwise you should have the production date from the sticker ?
I guess that the little plate on the firewall passenger side with paint and trim codes is lost too ?
I have a price list sheet for january 71 with some infos which probably matches your rig according to your serial number (i can share the sheet by PM)
According to this sheet your rig had the following items originally :
- 350 Buick V8
- Automatic transmission (TH400)
- console with armrest
-front bucket seats (could be different from the early ones)
- AM radio
- power brakes
- power steering
- power window (tailgate)
- tinted glass
- Golden Lime paint
- custom wagoneer and woodgrain packages (stainless exterior mouldings, chrome control knobs, wheel covers, luggage rack, outside passenger mirror, woodgrain stripes on the body sides ...)
- air deflector
AC was optional
J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle