Redhead steering Gear box

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
alex t

Redhead steering Gear box

Post by alex t »

Hey guys, just want to take a minute and thank the fsj network. The members and advise are priceless. Ok, now on to my self created issue. I have 1987 grand waggy that needed a steering box replacement. We determined this after replacing all the tie rods and having it aligned. The one we removed had 4 mounting holes and the one I received from redhead steering had 3 mounting holes. It bolted in with no issues and we also replaced both power steering lines as well. My issue is that redhead steering does have a steering box for my waggy with 4 mount holes. Should I change mine out or is the 3 mount unit ok. I use my waggy as my daily driver, occasionaly tow a 22" cuddy cabin boat and use is on the sand to surf cast. Just included that in case it makes a difference. Thanks in advance as I have an 8am alignment appointment Monday and I'm wondering if I should cancel.
1987 Grand Wagoneer daily driver with 134,000 mi running strong
on the sidelines is a 401 with an Edelbrock aluminum high rise
intake manifold and four barrel carb on standby.

dodgerammit

Re: Redhead steering Gear box

Post by dodgerammit »

I ordered mine from BJ's off road. They can get the 4 holes. I'd think the 4 hole design may be for strength or frame integrity over 3 hole design.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Yes, 4 tabs is (4/3 - 1) * 100% = 33% stronger than 3 tabs. Jeep used the 4-tab gears because they felt their vehicles needed the stronger mounting. The 3-tab 4x4 S-10/Blazer steering gear is an improved variable ratio design that many people like. Seems to work fine, from all reports. Most of these Jeeps never see hard enough service that they might break the mount.

i would mention that I did break the 4-bolt mount on my '73 CJ-5 (the bracket, not the gear), but that was under much harder service than what you describe your GW will ever see. I mostly think the gear will never break, but the extra tab allows for a stronger mount bracket on the chassis.

The 4-tab cores are more scarce, and the rebuilders often substitute a 3-tab gear for a Jeep application. Not a proper sub, IMO.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
alex t

Post by alex t »

I'm going to try and return the 3 mounting hole unit which was just installed in my rig for a 4 mounting hole unit with redhead steering. after a few miles and cornering the steering wheel seems to get stuck 11:00 and 2:00 and not want to easily get back to center. I know I did not have that issue before the replacement. thank you for the valuable input.
1987 Grand Wagoneer daily driver with 134,000 mi running strong
on the sidelines is a 401 with an Edelbrock aluminum high rise
intake manifold and four barrel carb on standby.