Smogging the 360 in California...

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Smogging the 360 in California...

Post by CosmicRhino »

Can it be done? I've just moved to Northern California, and the DMV wants the 79 Cherokee to be smogged.

Any suggestions? Anyone got the parts I need? No idea where to even start. I have a rebuilt AMC 360 as of a couple years ago but it doesn't have any smog equipment.

Reading through this thread at the moment... viewtopic.php?t=4325

One comment from tgreese sticks out to me, he said "Also, if this is a Quadratrac Jeep, you need to be ready to deal with that."

Mine was formerly a Quadratrac, what does this comment mean? I got rid of it when switching over to an SM465 mated with an NP205.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Smogging the 360 in California...

Post by Stuka »

Which county are you in? Many of them only will do an idle test. Some will do an idle, and then a 2500 "cruising" RPM test. But no dyno test, which is where you run into issues with the QT because its AWD. Also, many counties only do smog when you buy/sell. Only higher population areas do testing every 2 years.

If you have NO smog equipment at all, it may be a good time to switch to fuel injection.

Otherwise, you need a factory carb (or approved replacement, which means a 2v motorcraft 2150). Aftermarket intake is fine as long as you have an EGR that functions. You will need a factory air cleaner assembly. You need the smog pump with the air injection rails on the manifolds. And then there is a handful of CTO's and vacuum lines.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

AWD is a good thing. It gets you out of the dyno test. At least that's what my son found with his STI. Still need all the other stuff.

But his was prolly new enough that it wouldn't have been dyno'd anyway. My daughter's '12 golf wasn't even sniffed. Might be OBD2's that don't have to do it.

Anyway, maybe if they aren't sharp enough to notice the conversion you might still get out of it.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

letank

Post by letank »

CosmicRhino wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:33 pm One comment from tgreese sticks out to me, he said "Also, if this is a Quadratrac Jeep, you need to be ready to deal with that."

Mine was formerly a Quadratrac, what does this comment mean? I got rid of it when switching over to an SM465 mated with an NP205.
Tim's comment was about the QT parts were unobtainum for a while the post referred to was 2013, Novak redid the cones, BJ's sell these.

As for parts... if you exhaust manifold is not buggered up... it might not be as bad... The biggest challenge will be the brackets for the AIR pump, the air pump can be bought at the local parts store... next are all the hoses for the air pump, I think that you can still get the air injector tubes and the air injector valves.... here

https://www.bjsoffroad.com/AIR-Injectio ... p_743.html

injector tubes different for passenger and driver

https://www.bjsoffroad.com/AIR-Injectio ... p_742.html

I have drivers on both side , less challenging for the last air tube closest to the firewall, it passes smog

https://www.bjsoffroad.com/AIR-Injectio ... p_741.html

diverter valve, the 70's are not as finicky...

Where too in Norcal...?
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

If you decide to put air injection stuff back, I have most of the stuff (new reman pump, bot air manifolds, check valves, banjo bolts and diverter(haven’t tested it though)) laying around after I took it all of few weeks ago. I’m not planning on putting it back on and can sell it. Shipping shouldn’t be bad from Oregon to north California. PM if interested
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Eldog22

Post by Eldog22 »

I have 360 manifolds, air cleaner , couple other misc items. Where in nor cal?

78basewag

Post by 78basewag »

Here's a picture of the emissions control application table for 1979 Jeep engines.[https://photos.app.goo.gl/GbWFyuFmZxW9Xswv9]
1978 Wagoneer 360 2bbl Quadra-trac

babywag

Post by babywag »

EFI conversion (diy GM TBI) or Howell kit allows for removal of almost ALL of the emissions crap.
But, it isn't for everyone.
All air injection stuff, 95% vacuum lines, etc. Added bonus of increased city MPG. EGR & charcoal can has to stay.

The manual https://oljeep.com/gw/79_tsm/79_Jeep_TSM.pdf has diagrams of all the parts you'll need to reinstall to pass visual in CA.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

shortbus4x4

Post by shortbus4x4 »

Which county are you in? Is your Cherokee federal or CA emissions? Since you just moved to CA you will have to smog it no matter which county you're in. There are a few counties in CA which are change of ownership which means it only gets smogged when vehicle gets sold. It's been a few years since I've had my CA smog license but I can remember the horrors of trying to get late 70s and early 80s AMC motors smogged and get missing parts that were no longer available. The Howell fuel injection kit sounds pretty good, just make sure that whatever performance parts you get have a CARB EO number and you keep the paper work with you.

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

The DIY GM TBI is NOT smog legal in Calif. You can only use the Howell Kit. And it works great! Highly recommend it. I have to get smogged every 2 years. Show them the Howell paperwork and its all good.
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.
Xtrusion Overland rack system, Tepui tent, 1/2 decked system.

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

j10jim wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:15 pm The DIY GM TBI is NOT smog legal in Calif. You can only use the Howell Kit. And it works great! Highly recommend it. I have to get smogged every 2 years. Show them the Howell paperwork and its all good.
Slight correction. DIY GM TBI can be smog legal, but you have to go to a referee to have it certified. Once its certified, it will smog like normal.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

I have a GM TBI and nice painless harness looking for a home. Also a never used egr edelbrock manifold painted black.
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

I have a bunch of the intake related smog stuff - unsmogged an '84 & still pass the sniffer. The air pump was long gone before I got it, but let me know if I can help.
1984 GW

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

Stuka wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:26 pm Which county are you in? Many of them only will do an idle test. Some will do an idle, and then a 2500 "cruising" RPM test. But no dyno test, which is where you run into issues with the QT because its AWD. Also, many counties only do smog when you buy/sell. Only higher population areas do testing every 2 years.

If you have NO smog equipment at all, it may be a good time to switch to fuel injection.

Otherwise, you need a factory carb (or approved replacement, which means a 2v motorcraft 2150). Aftermarket intake is fine as long as you have an EGR that functions. You will need a factory air cleaner assembly. You need the smog pump with the air injection rails on the manifolds. And then there is a handful of CTO's and vacuum lines.
Hi Stuka,

I'm in Humboldt County. I have no smog equipment, sad because I bought a holly truck avenger just a year ago and have been so happy with it. I like the simplicity of carbs and I understand how to fix them, guess it's time to learn something new with fuel injection?
letank wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:35 pm
CosmicRhino wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:33 pm One comment from tgreese sticks out to me, he said "Also, if this is a Quadratrac Jeep, you need to be ready to deal with that."

Tim's comment was about the QT parts were unobtainum for a while the post referred to was 2013, Novak redid the cones, BJ's sell these.

Where too in Norcal...?
Thanks for the parts links and info about the QT stuff. I'm pretty happy to be done with all that, I remember the unobtainium era.

I'm in Eureka/Arcata area, humboldt county. Loving it here!!
babywag wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:26 am EFI conversion (diy GM TBI) or Howell kit allows for removal of almost ALL of the emissions crap.
But, it isn't for everyone.
All air injection stuff, 95% vacuum lines, etc. Added bonus of increased city MPG. EGR & charcoal can has to stay.

The manual https://oljeep.com/gw/79_tsm/79_Jeep_TSM.pdf has diagrams of all the parts you'll need to reinstall to pass visual in CA.
Thanks, I didn't realize the 79 actually came with smog stuff originally.. didn't bother checking the TSM. It's been a while since I've had to look at that thing.

Thank you everyone else for the links and advice or offers of parts, I will certainly send some PMs if I end up needing those parts but I think it sounds like the Howell TBI Kit is going to be the best option :/

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

I'm going to have to replace my intake manifold too aren't I? Because I got the "non-EGR" version when I built my Jeep.

The EGR version is out of stock. Sweet! https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-egr ... -3731.html

Is this the correct Howell kit? https://howellefi.com/product/ha360-amc ... rsion-kit/

I'm not sure if I'm looking at the wrong thing because the description says "In the state of California this kit can be installed on 1975 or earlier vehicles only"

For the "ignition system" option menu in the above Howell kit product page... not sure what to select. I have an HEI Davis Unified Ignition system, do I need to replace that with MSD as well?

Can I just pay the state of CA a big fine and not do any of the above and keep my carburetor? Sheesh. This is a lot of work and $$$ for an offroad vehicle that I drive around ~2k miles per year. There is no kind of special exemption for low mileage rarely driven classic vehicles??? I literally just go camping, and to the grocery store, that's it. I work remotely from home so no commute.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The instructions for the Howell conversion are online, and show you what you need. Most of the vacuum plumbing goes away, but I recall the EGR, PCV and vapor recovery stay. PCV is probably still present, but EGR and vapor recovery seem to offend owners pretty often, and may be gone.

Look at "Manuals" here - https://howellefi.com/product/k247jpv8w ... 401-clone/

Why are you looking at Edelbrock 4V manifolds? The throttle body is a 2V, like the factory manifold. Do you still have the original iron manifold? That will have the EGR. There is no advantage to the secondary barrels with fuel injection.

You want the kit with this: "California Smog Legal Version CARB E.O. #D-452-2" - CARB is California Air Resources Board, EO is Executive Order followed by the order number that makes the conversion legal. Read the manual for more info.

AFAIK you have no choice but to conform if you want to drive on the highways. You could sell your Jeep out of state and buy another that conforms or is '75 or earlier and exempt. 1976 is the cutoff, and that does not change. Any vehicle 1976 or newer has to pass emissions testing. The later the year is, the more stringent the standards. There are emissions standards for each year that the vehicle met when new, and must meet now.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

tgreese wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:29 pm The instructions for the Howell conversion are online, and show you what you need. Most of the vacuum plumbing goes away, but I recall the EGR, PCV and vapor recovery stay. PCV is probably still present, but EGR and vapor recovery seem to offend owners pretty often, and may be gone.

Look at "Manuals" here - https://howellefi.com/product/k247jpv8w ... 401-clone/

Why are you looking at Edelbrock 4V manifolds? The throttle body is a 2V, like the factory manifold. Do you still have the original iron manifold? That will have the EGR. There is no advantage to the secondary barrels with fuel injection.

You want the kit with this: "California Smog Legal Version CARB E.O. #D-452-2" - CARB is California Air Resources Board, EO is Executive Order followed by the order number that makes the conversion legal. Read the manual for more info.

AFAIK you have no choice but to conform if you want to drive on the highways. You could sell your Jeep out of state and buy another that conforms or is '75 or earlier and exempt. 1976 is the cutoff, and that does not change. Any vehicle 1976 or newer has to pass emissions testing. The later the year is, the more stringent the standards. There are emissions standards for each year that the vehicle met when new, and must meet now.
Thanks for the info... Will read the manuals. I thought my Jeep was 4v from the factory. It had a 4v manifold on it when I got it. I don't have the original intake.

So I need a 2v intake to replace my non-EGR 4v Edelbrock intake.

I'll see what the DMV says in terms of special exemptions for low mileage off road vehicles. I don't really see the logic in allowing a 1976 or older AMC 360 to run un-smogged for as many miles as desired opposed to a 1979 with the same engine that does only ~2k miles a year. One would think the quantity of driving is the most significant factor to volumes of emissions, not the year of manufacture. So why is 1976 and before exempt with the same motor? Not to mention the amount of emissions required to manufacture a new vehicle opposed to recycling and restoring an old one. Oof.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

'79 TSM says no 4V in 1979. Cheapest/easiest will be an OEM 360 2V manifold. There's no real advantage to secondaries with EFI.

When you say "off road" do you mean off-highway exclusively? California does register off-highway vehicles, though I expect that means what it says. No trips to the grocery store or such, and trailered to the trail head.

Why? It's California. That's the law. The fixed 1976 cutoff was put in place under Gov Ahnold, and there were stories around about Jay Leno arguing with Schwartznegger about this. It became law anyway. I understand your frustration, and expect that there are many thousands of owners of classic vehicles experiencing similar frustration.

Also - I would point out - the Howell kit exists because of this law. If there were loopholes to be exploited, they would be well-known and there would be no market for a special CARB-approved kit.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

it is not that bad to retrofit and add the bits and pieces... the EGR is available from rockauto, the air pump too,

the air valves for the exhaust manifold from bjs, and the exhaust bits

https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Exhaust-Mani ... c_114.html

in fact at every part is in the $100ish add the manifold $400, the big air hoses... the howell might be the easier for the same cost...

the best legal way is to get in touch with the smog referee... usually at your local community college, to see his/her point about the howell kit or any other TBI...

There is no waiver when bringing a vehicle in the state. The residents can get a 2 year waiver when we fail the smog test after we have spent $500. But at the next biennal smog check you have to pass.

As for the rules... there was an attempt to raise the year to 1983... but it failed, AB210

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/face ... 20200AB210
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

You can have a 4v intake as long as it has EGR. Smog test will not care about the intake being 2v or 4v. But if you run a carb, then it has to be 2v.
2017 JKU Rubicon