Quadratrac cones, am I wrecking them?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Triumph215

Quadratrac cones, am I wrecking them?

Post by Triumph215 »

My Waggy came with a replacement quadratrac in it and the original in a box. The original has the 2x4 conversion but the chain is shot. The replacement puts a LOT of tension on the front end when turning, possibly because the PO put bug sticky tires on it. I don't have the funds to throw these brand new tires away because I'm spending them elsewhere on the truck where they are more urgently needed. I unlocked one hub to take the stress off the front end but read that I will destroy the cones in the TC by driving it this way. My apologies but my plan is to drive it this way until the 2x4 TC rises to the top of the repairs list which will likely be 6 months or so.
Am I wrecking anything driving it this way? What will happen?
I'm contemplating a 1500 mile road trip and some of it is through lonely parts of southern Oregon where a tow truck will be hard to find and far away.
1964 Triumph TR4 with 1964 Olds 215 heart transplant
1977 Wagoneer
2009 BMW GS1200

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Quadratrac cones, am I wrecking them?

Post by Stuka »

If you unlock one front hub, and it drives normally, it most likely means the transfer case is in emergency drive. In this mode, the center differential is locked like a traditional 4wd. And from the comment you made on how it normally drives, this is most likely the case.

In the normal AWD mode, if you unlocked a front hub (assuming a stock open front differential), it would feel like the transmission was slipping really bad. Its very obvious, and it would destroy the clutch cones in short order.

So, first thing to check is inside the glove box is an e-drive selector, verify it is not in e-drive. If its not, it may mean the vacuum lines are backwards. Meaning if you then changed the mode to e-drive, it may actually be in normal mode.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Triumph215

Post by Triumph215 »

My switch was plumbed backwards but yes I went to E drive and it slipped a lot so I put it back. Now it's plumbed correctly and is in E drive with one hub locked. I'm all good in this setup? I read about clutches/cones getting eaten up prematurely and I'm trying to understand if I'm in this position or if all is ok until I can get my other TC repaired. Hopefully no longer than 6 months from now.
1977 Wagoneer
2009 BMW GS1200

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

With e-drive you can safely drive in 2wd, you are just relying on the vacuum to not fail since thats not the default mode.

So if you put it into non e-drive mode, and lock the hub, how does it drive? If it still drives funny, then maybe it doesn't have an open differential up front. Did the previous owner putting in a locker or anything?
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Triumph215

Post by Triumph215 »

It drives like it's all bound up in both Regular and E drive with both hubs locked. I've only had it a few months and it seems like a remarkably unmolested stock truck, I can't see it having a locker in it but how would I check? I jacked both front wheels off the ground one at a time and spun them. On one side I can lock the hub and spin the driveshaft and when unlocked, just the wheel spins. On the driver's side the hub won't disengage, spin the wheel and the driveshaft turns in both positions. Since I needed one to stay locked I haven't messed with it. It does seem wrong, I just thought it was the tires.
1977 Wagoneer
2009 BMW GS1200

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Stuka wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:09 pm With e-drive you can safely drive in 2wd, you are just relying on the vacuum to not fail since thats not the default mode.
Default mode or not, the spring and ball bearing holds the shifter in place. This prevents the shift fork from moving if vacuum is leaking.

See the two indents in the shifter shaft? The bearing seats there.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Triumph215

Post by Triumph215 »

I did some reading last night and it seems the wrong fluid will cause this kind of problem. Is that correct? The PO installed a replacement QC just before I bought it and I've learned over the past two months that he's not a capable mechanic. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he put the wrong fluid in it. We have a 4x4 store in Scott's Valley who supposedly carries Crown oil, I'm hoping they will have it on hand and I can just go and buy it.
I'm happy to learn about the detent thank you, those vacuum lines are brittle but I haven't replaced them yet I like the red line/white line printed on the hoses, is there anywhere to get vacuum lines like that?
1977 Wagoneer
2009 BMW GS1200

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

fulsizjeep wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:17 am See the two indents in the shifter shaft? The bearing seats there.
Oh, cool.
Triumph215 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:04 am I did some reading last night and it seems the wrong fluid will cause this kind of problem. Is that correct? The PO installed a replacement QC just before I bought it and I've learned over the past two months that he's not a capable mechanic. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he put the wrong fluid in it. We have a 4x4 store in Scott's Valley who supposedly carries Crown oil, I'm hoping they will have it on hand and I can just go and buy it.
I'm happy to learn about the detent thank you, those vacuum lines are brittle but I haven't replaced them yet I like the red line/white line printed on the hoses, is there anywhere to get vacuum lines like that?
Wrong fluid can cause it to chatter. Much like if a limited slip doesn’t have friction modifier in it.

If you can get QT Fluid, it would be worth changing it. There is also a way to make your own, which Flints site may have the ingredients for.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Triumph215

Post by Triumph215 »

Already searching the area for the Crown oil, I'm super hopeful about this.
1977 Wagoneer
2009 BMW GS1200