Cranky Pants...

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
66stepside

Cranky Pants...

Post by 66stepside »

Err, I meant Crank parts! “Honest”.

What’s the difference, or big deal about early AMC 360 Cranks?

Exhibit A: older 70ish ‘cranky pant’:

Exhibit B: 72 and newer ‘cranky pant’:

Why do people avoid the older style cranks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by 66stepside on Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

FLeetFox

Re: Cranky Pants...

Post by FLeetFox »

I think the main thing is you need to use a flywheel from the same era. The flywheels are not interchangeable between Gen II and Gen III AMC v8s. And the flywheels vary by displacement. And must be externally balanced. Others may have more to add.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

FLeetFox wrote:I think the main thing is you need to use a flywheel from the same era. The flywheels are not interchangeable between Gen II and Gen III AMC v8s. And the flywheels vary by displacement. And must be externally balanced. Others may have more to add.

Fleet Fox
That makes sense. Thanks.

I have a spare 360 block and everyone is asking what the back of the crank looks like. I’ve never had anyone ask before, but this block is out of a 72, so maybe that’s the reason people are now asking about the rear of the crank.

PossumJr

Post by PossumJr »

From my understanding, AMC changed from the flat flange which was common to the Gen II cranks, to the stepped flange in 1972 coinciding with them changing over from Borg-Warner transmissions. Flexplates and flywheels are not interchangeable between the two (on top of the external balance issue for different displacements) which I would assume limits your transmission choices to the B-W units for direct swaps, but I think there's options for machining, adapters, and special (expensive) conversion flywheels/flexplates so you can use a Torqueflite or Hydramatic with a flat flange crank.

Not super familiar with all this so hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.
1979 J10, 360/QT

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

There were AMC 360s in the Wagoneer and J-trucks in 1971. I presume these have the flat flange. Jeep used the GM TH400 in all such equipped models and carried through until 1979, starting in 1965 with the AMC 327 and AMC 232. Jeep used the Borg-Warner transmission with the 230 OHC six, but never thereafter in civilian Jeeps, AFAIK (postals got the Borg-Warner, then the Torqueflite. I think the Chevy 153 postals got a Powerglide, but I'm not certain).

This AMC change from Borg-Warners to Torqueflite transmissions was in the passenger cars, and did not affect Jeep other than the crank shape changing the mechanics of attaching their choice of transmission to their engines.

Jeep used an adapter between the TH400 and their engines until 1974. It appears that there is a unique adapter for the 1971 304-360, while all 232s and the 1971 258 use the same adapter. However, all 304-360 that are adapted this way use the same flexplate, while the 6s are all the same 1971 or older. There is also a spacer that is unique to the '71 V8s, while the 6s don't change for '71. This is laid out in the parts book available at the Tom Collins site.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

A 72 model Jeep could easily be a left over 71 with a less desirable equipment package... Tim, the borg-warner explanation makes the most sense. SC/397 on the Mother Ship would have a more detailed answer.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Thanks for the responses. Having more access to modern transmissions makes sense as to the reasoning as one potential engine buyer did mention he “would have to buy a new crank” if it were the older style.