85' FSGW, Upgrading to LED Headlights

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
gutieee

85' FSGW, Upgrading to LED Headlights

Post by gutieee »

How do go about upgrading my sealed beam headlights to LED? My assumption at this time is that it wouldn't require wiring upgrades because LED don't require high wattage to perform. I would think that it would be a lower power demand on the electrical system? All advice is welcome! Thanks!!

sirrus
Vendor

Re: 85' FSGW, Upgrading to LED Headlights

Post by sirrus »

LEDs are more efficient than halogens, so they should draw less current. How much exactly I don’t know, check the specs on units you’re going to buy. Factory wiring is 16ga wire for headlights. Headlight switch might limit current if it’s contacts are dirty/charred - they tend to do that after years of handling headlight current. I think you can start with just swapping sealed beams with LEDs and then see whether performance is good and check if headlight switch gets warm after running headlight for some time (it shouldn’t be warm).

Even though factory wiring might be adequate for LEDs, it’s a good idea to clean the connectors and ground points while you’re at it (screw to sheet metal under overflow tank). Wire brush contacts and put some dielectric grease before assembling.
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

So yes, LED's are much more efficient. However, headlight brightness is based on wattage, and not lumens. So many LED headlights draw close to the same power as Halogens, and as a result put out way more light.

The thing to be aware of is the LED housing can actually get hotter than a Halogens. The OEM LED's on my JK actually have fins on them to disperse the heat.

A quick search shows lots of cheap chinese headlights that will plug right in to a Grand Wagoneer. Just know that they are not DoT approved, so if you have inspections where you are they may hit you for them. And this often means that their have terrible focus, so they blind everybody (They are a floodlight instead of a beam light). A quality LED will have a cutoff line to help prevent blinding people.

But, I love LED's are really have a hard time going back to cars with Halogens.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Oh yes, please don’t get cheap light and don’t be one of those aholes that blind everybody.

On my Wag I went with Hella H4 lights and relays - they are halogens, not LEDs, but are light years better than what I had before. If you don’t have inspections in your area I’d recommend getting euro spec (or E code, as they’re sometimes called) instead of DOT version - they have much better light pattern and can be visually aimed very easily with a wall, some tape and a Phillips screwdriver.

Stuka, I meant that because LEDs are more efficient they should require less power (wattage) to produce the same brightness (lumens). That means lower current, but I don’t have exact numbers to prove that. Maybe I’m wrong, I’ll have to look it up.

Cooling might be a concern, but there is a lot of empty space around our headlights, and I think they get sufficient airflow when driving to keep the temperatures reasonable
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

For a given amount of light, LEDs will hands down use less power, you are spot on there. BUT, most LEDs consume the same power, and way more light. There might be some that put out less light in order to use less current, but the norm seems to be more light for same power.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
gutieee

Post by gutieee »

Everyone,
Thank you all for being so patient and helpful! I think I will go ahead and order the relay modules and wiring from Sirrus and follow through purchasing LEDs. I just need to do some research on what type/brand of LEDs will do a good job and not blind anyone! I've certainly had that done to me and it practically stops you in your tracks! It's actually quite dangerous to everyone else on the road.