Just found the best oil for our Jeeps

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Just found the best oil for our Jeeps

Post by candymancan »

Since the Jeep 4.0 4.2 and 360s and so forth all use flat tappet cams. Modern oil is inadequate for them. I think most oils on the shelvs today have around 800ppm of zinc. Some may have around 1000 like rotella diesel oil but thats still seems kinda low.

Ive tried every brand out there... high mileage. Synthetic blends. European oils. Wal mart oil. Everything. And in the end i always had to end up putting a bittle of rislone zddp in the oil and even then it still only partially helped the tapping of lifters. Rislones own documents state 1 bottle with standard oil brings zinc ul to 1400 or so ppm.

On my 4.0 engine which has 334k miles. The lifters have always been noisy but as its aging its getting louder.

My 360 in my GW has a bad lifter tick as well and i couldnt get it to stop. Using seafoam in the oil did help a little but it came back. I tried 0-40. 5-40 or 10-30. And everything in between. Even tried that thick stp stuff and lucas additives.

However i finally found a oil made specifically for classic cars. Its from Lucas, Called Lucas hot rod and classic. Its expensive. But it has 2200ppm zinc in it. And lots of molybdenum and phosphorus. Double that of any diesel oil.

I just got my 3 jugs in the mail 2 days ago and changed my oil. And within 1 day my engine went quiet. I have a video i made doing a walk around of my Jeep and in the part where i turn on the Engine and walk around you can hear it tap tap tapping.

Now its 95% gone, im absolutetly amazed lol. Has anyone else used this oil ?

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10679- ... 1170835178
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Just found the best oil for our Jeeps

Post by Stuka »

I have not used it, but have heard people swear by this and the Amsoil zrod oil for any flat tappet engine.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

I saw that it was not to be used with a catalytic converter. So my 89 can’t use it.
2020 Cherokee Limited v6. Wife’s Jeep
2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo Daughters Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee “the Ghost”
1989 Grand Wagoneer my Covid mental health medicine

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I have a cat a im planning to use it. F the cat. Would rather replace a cat than an engine. Its really did quiet up my engine. The noise is gone.

Fast foward to like 2:23 min on this video and listen. You hear that tapping ? Ill make a new video tomorrow to show you guys. But that noise is 90% + gone. I know my issues is pattially due to damage in the valve train and the sludge issue i had 6 years ago when i got it. But that sludge is gone has been gone. And this oil quieted it up for the first time in the 6 years ive owned it

https://youtu.be/iPKVcv6Boag

sansabarJ

Post by sansabarJ »

Nicks garage in Canada, the Mopar guru uses this Lucas in all his builds and flat tapped cams . 440s 340s 426 Hemi engines and so on. Says no issues with cam fails at all . Lucus 10w30. Classic car oil . Remember on this convertor business on the jeeps , there wasn't NON ZDDP oil back then and I never heard of any convertor issues . I know for a fact since I have been a auto repair shop owner mechanic tech for 40 years. Never heard of anything or had any issues with cats . So can't see how it's suddenly a problem. Mobile 1 makes a classic car high zinc oil , BUT
it's a 15w50 which is not needed in this particular weight . I'd go for the Lucas myself .

SansabarJ

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I was thinking that as welll.. because didnt oil 30-50 years ago have high zinc ? I never read of any cat failures.

I just wish i found this oil years ago. No telling the on going damage ive had using inferior oils for so long.

Im going to change the oil in the 4.0 soon too and see if it helps that engine as well.. That engine always had a tapping noise.. most 4.0s do.. but latetly its veen much much louder its getting closer to 400k miles lol. So im curious if the lucas will do snything to do. Ill make a before and after video

. How much zinc though is in the mobile 1? Lucas actually states the amount of zinc being at 2200 ppm and mention how nuch molybdenum and phosphorus is in it too.

Ill ppst back tomorrow with a video on how my engine sounds now with this oil. Youll see the difference in that video from the one i made a week ago that i linked.

I was shocked today when driving around how quiet it was. Even my girlfriend who isnt a car person could hear the tapping/knocking my 360 nade.. and noticed it was virtually gone today when we drove around.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Why would high zinc quiet the lifters? Zinc is there as a lubricant for sliding or rubbing contact. I don't see why it would help with noisy lifters which would indicate low oil pressure within the lifter itself that could be caused by wear in a number of places.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Zinc creates a sacrificial barrier between the metal parts. Between the lifters and camshaft for example. I would imagine without proper lubrication from the zinc needed on flat tappet cans. It will cause a metal to metal noise

I dont have low oil pressure overall. Im at 25 psi hot idle and 60 driving. Not sure individually though.

But im telling you it stopped my lifter ticking. Rislone zddp zinc suppliment helps too but not nearly as nuch as this did. All i know is for 32k miles and 6 years i had this god awfull tapping noise. Im not denying there is damage in the valve train. Most likely from idiots not changing the oil in this jeep (hense the sludge i had 6 years ago) .ive used every brand. Make. Weight and type of oil i could find. Even engine flushes like motor medic, diesel, marvel mystery oil and seafoan.... all kinds of suppliments and so forth and nothing helped except the rislone additive.

Then this oil i found and the noise is virtually gone. And this oil has near 800ppm more zinc and molybdenum ect than regular oil and rislone combined.

Im not a chemist. Im just telling you it quieted my engine up. Even the rislone zddp bottle which is just zinc says it helps quiet noisy lifters in old vehicles.. and that stuff isnt a thickner

PossumJr

Post by PossumJr »

I'm just going to throw this out there, but I've seen plenty of grumbling about Lucas in other forums because when sent out for testing/analysis, their base stock seems to be pretty low quality compared to most other brands. That being said maybe it isn't any worse than most oils that were on the shelf 30 years ago or more, but seems with Lucas you're just paying for name more than the oil. They also seem to overdo it with the ZDDP on everything, you shouldn't need more than 1400 ppm to provide adequate protection on a flat tappet cam and excessive amounts can cause issues of its own, I think they are riding that line with this particular oil. Maybe it's perfectly fine, maybe it's not I'm not a tribologist, but personally I'd stick to other brands and lines of oil.
1979 J10, 360/QT

letank

Post by letank »

As said above, too much zinc can be detrimental... and happy to see a resolution to your engine noise.
I have been adding the ZDDP as needed with new oil change... on my listed FSJ... and the others parked in the strategic reserve.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

J20Hunter1

Post by J20Hunter1 »

You can buy Lucas zinc additive in small bottles . We used it in race engines .
Dennis Ridgeway 1977 Wagoneer 360/auto , 1969 J3000 Gladiator , 1983 J20 360 /auto <1978 Cj 5 Golden Eagle

Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

Any thoughts on Amsiol z rod oil? The Lucas site said not for catalytic in the description, the z rod made no mention. I’m due to change oil( 200 miles since I got it) and want to do what I can. No loud noise now, but would like to do a restorative oil change if there is such a thing!
2020 Cherokee Limited v6. Wife’s Jeep
2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo Daughters Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee “the Ghost”
1989 Grand Wagoneer my Covid mental health medicine

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Johnzi10 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:15 pm Any thoughts on Amsiol z rod oil? The Lucas site said not for catalytic in the description, the z rod made no mention. I’m due to change oil( 200 miles since I got it) and want to do what I can. No loud noise now, but would like to do a restorative oil change if there is such a thing!
I mentioned zRod up above. Amsoil is one of the best oils you can get from everything I have seen/read. And while they are a primary sponsor of Engine Masters (The show), Steve Brul used their oil before the show or anything. And when somebody has run a dyno shop for 30 years says "This is really good oil", I take their word for it. Amsoil is however more expensive than some other oils for sure.

And of course, the discussing on "the best oil" can go on forever.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

oregonphil

Post by oregonphil »

Recently had my 401 rebuilt, this is what the builder recommended: Valvoline VR1 Racing SAE 10W-30 Motor Oil
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJ ... X0DER&th=1 says he uses it in all his builds.
77sj 401 warmed over
72 Commando basically stock
07 Siena should last forever
76 FLH just for fun

MReese Wagoneer

Post by MReese Wagoneer »

Amsoil is a bit more expensive, I have break in oil still in my 401 but the Z-Rod is sitting there ready to go in
I have used Amsoil for 12 years now , started using it in my 4.7 Grand Chero which had started to sludge up when i bought it at 80K, it lasted to 320K the sludge cleared up, all combined more than a million miles on all my cars, only 1 engine failure in my Cruze 1.4, but wife was driving it 80 mph in 3rd gear, the bearings didnt like that, she would get on the highway and forget there are 6 gears
i was looking for what level Zinc Amsoil puts in but they are pretty tight on their mixture

PS in my sig is a link to AMSOIL store if you want to look around

Edit, I just found that Z-Rod is about 1500-1600 ppm Zinc
:fsj:
New 83 Wagoneer Brougham
old 99 Grand Cherokee Limited
http://www.mandgoilandlube.com

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

This is really hard to search through, but has SO MUCH INFO.

I don't know if the information is accurate, but it sure is comprehensive! https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Here are two oils being talked about here. High PSI = better wear protection.

219. 10W30 Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Hi-Performance Oil, conventional = 62,538 psi
zinc = 2116 ppm
phos = 1855 ppm
moly = 871 ppm

6. 10W30 Amsoil Z-Rod Oil synthetic = 95,360 psi
zinc = 1431 ppm
phos = 1441 ppm
ZDDP = 1400 ppm
1984 GW

letank

Post by letank »

if you want to burn your brain cells... check this guy's site

https://www.widman.biz/English/Bulletins/flat.html
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Tnsser

Post by Tnsser »

candymancan wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:33 pm Since the Jeep 4.0 4.2 and 360s and so forth all use flat tappet cams. Modern oil is inadequate for them. I think most oils on the shelvs today have around 800ppm of zinc. Some may have around 1000 like rotella diesel oil but thats still seems kinda low.

Ive tried every brand out there... high mileage. Synthetic blends. European oils. Wal mart oil. Everything. And in the end i always had to end up putting a bittle of rislone zddp in the oil and even then it still only partially helped the tapping of lifters. Rislones own documents state 1 bottle with standard oil brings zinc ul to 1400 or so ppm.

On my 4.0 engine which has 334k miles. The lifters have always been noisy but as its aging its getting louder.

My 360 in my GW has a bad lifter tick as well and i couldnt get it to stop. Using seafoam in the oil did help a little but it came back. I tried 0-40. 5-40 or 10-30. And everything in between. Even tried that thick stp stuff and lucas additives.

However i finally found a oil made specifically for classic cars. Its from Lucas, Called Lucas hot rod and classic. Its expensive. But it has 2200ppm zinc in it. And lots of molybdenum and phosphorus. Double that of any diesel oil.

I just got my 3 jugs in the mail 2 days ago and changed my oil. And within 1 day my engine went quiet. I have a video i made doing a walk around of my Jeep and in the part where i turn on the Engine and walk around you can hear it tap tap tapping.

Now its 95% gone, im absolutetly amazed lol. Has anyone else used this oil ?

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10679- ... 1170835178
I want to verify this. I just recently bought this 84 j10 and it had the lifter tick. So I did my usual T6 oil change and MMO. After about 200 miles it wasn't getting better. Usually this works if I have an engine with a clogged lifter but not this time. So after researching and deciding I just needed to replace the lifters I read this thread. I'm so busy right now I just don't have the time to change the lifters out so I deciding to try the Amsoil just to keep me happy until I changed out the lifters. Yes the oil was expensive but they carry it at the local Rural King so I went ahead and spent the 80 bucks. Replaced the oil and the filter(Wix). Well after a about 50 miles of driving the tick is very quite. Plus the oil pressure is slightly better. I went from 15w40 to 10w40. I'm sure the MMO was thinning the oil out too. Anyway it worked for me too.
1984 Jeep J10 258 AMC 4 speed (New project)
1991 Chevrolet S10 283 swapped and slammed
1991 Mazda Miata Turbo. Total rebuild with 230 hp
1979 Honda CB750 Cafe
2006 Ducati Monster S2R
1964 International Scout 80. All original
1984 Chevrolet C10 built 350 slammed
Knoxville Tennessee

AccrateDelivery

Post by AccrateDelivery »

I haven't been able to find an oil that fixes bad lifters. That's mostly marketing ploys to separate you from your money. If you have 'bad' lifters ... remove the set and replace them. Look at your pushrods for ball end wear and straightness (roll on flat plate glass) while you are in there. Check the rocker trunions (notorious for hidden cracks), rocker arm push rod socket wear, etc., while in there. Then you know what you got.
Check the lift on each cam lobe with a dial indicator if you want to know what your cam is doing.

Tnsser

Post by Tnsser »

AccrateDelivery wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:41 am I haven't been able to find an oil that fixes bad lifters. That's mostly marketing ploys to separate you from your money. If you have 'bad' lifters ... remove the set and replace them. Look at your pushrods for ball end wear and straightness (roll on flat plate glass) while you are in there. Check the rocker trunions (notorious for hidden cracks), rocker arm push rod socket wear, etc., while in there. Then you know what you got.
Check the lift on each cam lobe with a dial indicator if you want to know what your cam is doing.
Hydraulic lifters get dirty and don't pump all the way up all the time. A dirty lifter and a bad lifter are 2 different things. I've can't tell you how many times I've fixed a lifter with a good synthetic and MMO or transmission fluid. Not all lifters are as easy to replace as the ones on these engines. The first step is alway to try and get them clean. If a cleaning doesn't fix it than you dig deeper.
1984 Jeep J10 258 AMC 4 speed (New project)
1991 Chevrolet S10 283 swapped and slammed
1991 Mazda Miata Turbo. Total rebuild with 230 hp
1979 Honda CB750 Cafe
2006 Ducati Monster S2R
1964 International Scout 80. All original
1984 Chevrolet C10 built 350 slammed
Knoxville Tennessee