Fixing tension on Cargo Cover roller.

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
TimGee

Fixing tension on Cargo Cover roller.

Post by TimGee »

Hello all,

I was hoping for some advice on how to increase the tension in the cargo cover roller. It fails to retract. Looking at it, the sides don't seem to have an easy way to disassemble it and from experience I've learned that parts containing springs under tension can lead to unpleasant surprises!

Thanks!

TIm
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. 360ci V8. Holly Fuel Injection

candymancan

Re: Fixing tension on Cargo Cover roller.

Post by candymancan »

You have to take a corner apart and retention the slring inside. Here is a guide on how to do it. I did this and its been working fine now for 5 years

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=31490
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
TimGee

Re: Fixing tension on Cargo Cover roller.

Post by TimGee »

candymancan wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:09 pm You have to take a corner apart and retention the slring inside. Here is a guide on how to do it. I did this and its been working fine now for 5 years

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=31490
You rock CandyMan. Thank you. I fixed it yesterday. Just one clarification for anyone else doing this fix. The pin that needs to be removed - if you are having trouble getting it to poke up high enough to grab with pliers, take a small flat head screw driver and ease the pin up in the housing. This will bring it above the plastic housing slightly so you can get a better grip on it. I also used a small pair of locking pliers - pulling it out with a gentle twisting/rotating motion as you pull the pin out.

Thank you again.

Tim
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. 360ci V8. Holly Fuel Injection