Replacing GW Tailgate Lever?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
memsiej

Replacing GW Tailgate Lever?

Post by memsiej »

OK I got the glass to roll down thanks to much help from y'all. But even though I can get the glass down, I can't drop the tailgate. My lever is broken off- just a nub sticks out. Even pushing up on that with a big-a** wrench, the gate won't unlatch.

I got a new lever but cannot find any write ups on how to replace it, or even diagrams of the lever/latch system. Any resources y'all know of?
1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

sirrus
Vendor

Re: Replacing GW Tailgate Lever?

Post by sirrus »

Here’s a picture from TSM showing the rod and latches.

I’d try to raise the glass to get it out of the way, and try to reach the latch from inside with a screwdriver and push on that bib at the top of it.
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

letank

Post by letank »

time to spray whatever will derust and lube that latch spring... it is very hard to reach and see... you might be lucky to add a few "straws" to that pb blaster red straw to reach the offending spring... try from the outside as well.
As for the bad news, many years ago, I resorted to the big crow bar to bend the tailgate lip and unjam the bugger... on the 74... the latter years have a different spring system...
BTW did you fix the engine issues that you had last summer? the talk was rebuilt engine....
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Oh how I wish this little cover came off.

https://ibb.co/Sy55zkT

And yea we ended up just getting a whole new AMC 360 from S and J and having it installed. The list was piling up and not being in the same state as the Jeep it was hard to make progress. But now she's back with me for a little while!

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

The lever broke or the steel arm it mounts to?

If the steel piece broke maybe you can remove the screws, drop the lever mechanism down and yank on each side. Maybe it'll drop down even if it isn't broken.

Or maybe you can reach up in there and work the latch on each side by hand, one at a time.

Now you know why the lever broke.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Yea it's the steel mounting arm that's broken. FFS. I got the tailgate down, got the arms out, but cannot think of a way to attach a lever here, given where it's broken. Can't even find a new set up to replace it.

https://ibb.co/4mw9V83
https://ibb.co/F0CpxzK

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Should be able to weld a new lever mount to it. Maybe there's room to make it a little thicker and step it so it overlaps what's left. Mines been all back together for a while so I don't really remember the small details.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

memsiej wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:32 pm Yea it's the steel mounting arm that's broken. FFS. I got the tailgate down, got the arms out, but cannot think of a way to attach a lever here, given where it's broken. Can't even find a new set up to replace it.

https://ibb.co/4mw9V83
https://ibb.co/F0CpxzK
You can't expect to be able to buy new and obscure parts like this for a 37 year old car with low production numbers from an oddball maker. Only a dealership would have had these, and they would be made obsolete maybe a decade after the car went out of production. Even in the day, they would not have been stocked, and the dealership would have ordered them from the factory warehouse and waited for delivery. Today you'll need to focus on used parts for anything other than regular service parts.

Where are you located? There are wrecking yards that specialize in these vehicles. I would not consider repairing it; instead I'd find a donor tailgate in good condition and take the working parts that I needed. You could try car-part.com to see if there is a Wagoneer tailgate near you that could be a donor. I came up with a list of about 100 tailgates for an '84 at ca $200 when I searched the USA. You could also try the WTB (want to buy) forums here and at IFSJA. Likely you will have to buy a complete unit and put together a working one from what you have.

And regarding welding, if you already are a skilled welder with the equipment to make the repair, maybe. A shop could do it for you, but I predict it won't save you much over a complete tailgate, and depending on the skill of the welder and your communications of what you need, it may not turn out like you want.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Found one on ebay- hopefully it works. When I said 'new', I certainly didn't mean new-new. Just new to me LOL.