Pinhead bumps in bare metal

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Jwillis

Pinhead bumps in bare metal

Post by Jwillis »

I’m working on getting my 79 Chief down to bare metal. There are some spots that have tiny pinhead bumps in it. It isn’t smooth when you run your hand over it like the other surfaces. Is this normal or is this a sign of the surface getting to hot when I’m stripping it? I’m using an angle grinder with Eastwood’s stripping and cleaning discs. They are intended for what I’m using them for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJTD

Re: Pinhead bumps in bare metal

Post by SJTD »

Sounds like bits of adhesive. Does a razor blade take them off?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

SJTD wrote:Sounds like bits of adhesive. Does a razor blade take them off?
Nah. They are for sure in the metal. Little Tiny dents that span 8-10 inches. I’m hoping body filler, sanding, followed by primer then sanding helps them. I mostly want to make sure it isn’t something I’m doing that is causing them.

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

SJTD wrote:Sounds like bits of adhesive. Does a razor blade take them off?
I have a neighbor that use to own an auto body shop and he came by today and looked at it. He said that I was taking off previous bondo work. I think my Jeep was either in a hail storm or one side was peppered by a shotgun. He recommended looking for a replacement door because it could be a lot of work.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Seems to me they're dents not bumps. Unless you're looking at them from the inside.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

SJTD wrote:Seems to me they're dents not bumps. Unless you're looking at them from the inside.
You’re correct. I used the wrong term.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Sadly, there is no such thing as a 'new' door.

You may be able to find a door off another Jeep, But it needs to be of a similar year to keep the same holes for the mirror, and the striker changed in '79 at some point. So you could have the older style striker used before 79, or the newer style used after 79.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ