Need Wheel and Tire Advice

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

I’m needing to get new tires for my project 79 Cherokee widetrack. I know I want 33s because I love the look of them. Currently I’m at factory height which I’ve been told shouldn’t be a problem. I’m sure I’m the future I will lift it 2” or 4”.

My question is if I can keep my stock wheels or do I need to get something wider. Here are a few pics of Jeeps I love the look of. I know the orange one has 33s and I’m not sure about the black one. The one in the trailer is my Jeep.

I believe the stock rims are around 8.5 wide. Should I be looking for something that is 10.5? If so, where should I look for them? I want black rims. If I keep the stock ones I will powder coat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Need Wheel and Tire Advice

Post by Stuka »

There was a few widths available for various stock wheels. The wheels you have look to be 15x8s. Which will work fine for 33x12.50s.

Both of those Jeeps look like they have 33x12.50r15s. The grey one has the same wheels you have. The orange one has after market turbine wheels.

As for lift, 33's can fit on a wide trac with stock suspension provided it is not too saggy. If you work the suspension too much they can rub, but you should be fine for daily driving and the like. But a WT with a 4" lift and 33's looks really good.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

Stuka wrote:There was a few widths available for various stock wheels. The wheels you have look to be 15x8s. Which will work fine for 33x12.50s.

Both of those Jeeps look like they have 33x12.50r15s. The grey one has the same wheels you have. The orange one has after market turbine wheels.

As for lift, 33's can fit on a wide trac with stock suspension provided it is not too saggy. If you work the suspension too much they can rub, but you should be fine for daily driving and the like. But a WT with a 4" lift and 33's looks really good.
Thank you!!

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

Is this the best tire to get? It will be a Sunday driver and do light to light medium trails with my kiddos.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BFG- ... gKKSPD_BwE

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

Best tire will create a lot of recommendations. BFG all terrains have been in the top of the AT time category forever and are awesome. Lately I've been buying Falken Wildpeak AT3s and they are fantastic and in my experience much better in the snow that the BFGs.
1970 J4000 / Chevy Frankenstein in progress
Soon to be Lq4 6.0 and 4l80e on 35s

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

TurboJ4000 wrote:Best tire will create a lot of recommendations. BFG all terrains have been in the top of the AT time category forever and are awesome. Lately I've been buying Falken Wildpeak AT3s and they are fantastic and in my experience much better in the snow that the BFGs.
Before and after! 33x12.5 BF All Terrains with $8 of plasti dip on the rims.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Cool, looks good.

A note on the plasti-dip, it becomes a PITA to keep clean on wheels if you don't clear coat over it. Its like the stuff soaks in brake dust and refuses to let it go.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I am running 33x10.5x15 BF Goodrich KO2's on a 3" lift. The 10.5's work great with the 3" lift, no rubbing even at full stuff and I wheel mine a lot in the back country. 12.5's you will probably want that extra inch of lift to keep things happy.

SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack