Anything Besides Dakota Digital??

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
CoconutFiasco

Anything Besides Dakota Digital??

Post by CoconutFiasco »

Hello all,

I am building a 1986 Wagoneer with a 6 liter LS and I want to get some nice newer gauges but it seems like the only game in town is Dakota digital which is pushing $800 and it generally not very exciting to look at. Does anyone know of other modern gauge options?

tgreese

Re: Anything Besides Dakota Digital??

Post by tgreese »

If you can make the actual panel, you can use whatever aftermarket gauges you want. There is an excellent selection at both Summit and Jegs. At roughly $100/gauge, I don't see you saving much over the Dakota package ... maybe.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/dep ... peedometer

Custom cars sometimes get a dash swap. Find a car with a dash you like and swap-in the whole dash. May not be practical depending on time/skills, and seems unlikely it will be cheaper. Maybe, in the right circumstances.

What's the appeal of the Dakota dash, other than appearance? Is there something about the original instruments that is incompatible with the LS swap? There was a dash revision sometime in the late 80s - don't know if the '86 is the new or old panel, but a change to the other style is an option.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

I used Autometer for a full 7 gauge setup and it wasn’t much less than the Dakota Digital setup. And at this point, I’d rather have the analog style Dakota Digital, but only the old LCD version was available when I did my gauges.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

itselliott

Post by itselliott »

I personally love Dakota Digital......
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AudgefCmPTt7hxfx3qHWdSWzc5bM
SOOO easy to install

letank

Post by letank »

As Tim said pick something you like... and make it fit...

My biggest complain is the redesign of the 86 made the glare on the lenses even worse, you can see the transmission shifter and the tilt reflection at any time. The older are marginally better for the glare...

I would go for a classic mercedes 450SL of the 70's, mechanical oil pressure... trip meter, mechanical speedo (up to a certain year, then electrical), tach and clock... some came with econometer... so you have your vacuum reading, no voltmeter

of course bad example that shows glare, the lenses are angled at 45degrees so it is almost glare proof
Last edited by letank on Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

There is not need to swap gauges unless you just want to. There are a few mechanical speedo options, Speed Hut makes a VSS to mechanical drive or you can use a Tcase adapter with the rear speed sensor and a tcase with a mechanical drive, if using a 2wd 4L80E you can do the same but don't need the special tcase adapter. But if you want new gauges there are options other than dakota but they really aren't much if any less expensive. One advantage to Dakota is you can get an adapter that connects to the OBDII port and covers all of the gauges except oil pressure and fuel level, just make sure they know its for a 3rd gen if that is what you are using. by default they are programmed for 4th or 5th gen and will not let the motor run properly.

I'm crawling down an LS swap myself and if dakota offered an analog option for a 70' I'd be going that route but since they do not, going to refurb the original, the guages all work but can't seem to keep the dash lights functional.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

letank

Post by letank »

Yeller wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:45 pm but can't seem to keep the dash lights functional.
check your headlight switch, there is a thermal fuse, and when it starts to fail, the increase resistance will dim your instruments lights... or a ground short in one of the parking light housing
Michel

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

letank wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:43 pm I would go for a classic mercedes 450SL of the 70's, mechanical oil pressure... trip meter, mechanical speedo (up to a certain year, then electrical), tach and clock... some came with econometer... so you have your vacuum reading, no voltmeter
The OP is doing an LS swap though, so the gauges need some of the gauges should have digital inputs from the ECU.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

[/quote]

The OP is doing an LS swap though, so the gauges need to have digital inputs from the ECU.
[/quote]
Not necessarily only required digital input is for a tack. Everything else can be done with basic gauges. I have an early bronco with an LS (yeah I’m really popular in those circles lol) and run all of the factory Ford gauges, and do not run a tach. I did convert to a volt gauge from amp meter.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

letank

Post by letank »

for the clarity of the infos, here is mine , bought in 2011... can you spell procrastination

and the back, for the non mechanical speedo, suspect it was a 380SL

Michel

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeller wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:55 pm Not necessarily only required digital input is for a tack. Everything else can be done with basic gauges. I have an early bronco with an LS (yeah I’m really popular in those circles lol) and run all of the factory Ford gauges, and do not run a tach. I did convert to a volt gauge from amp meter.
True, not all need to come from the ECU, so I should not have used the word 'need'. I have modified my post accordingly.

As for the LS in a Bronco, to each their own, its your vehicle. But I am partial to the Coyote ;)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

hahaha yeah I salvaged from a scrap pile ready to pull onto the scales at the scrap yard so lots of things are just that, salvaged and pieced together. It came together as an outstanding performing package that there have been a lot of copies of some of the design and theories, just with Ford power LOL. I've found by just being modest and helpful the bronco community has made peace with it and we just don't talk about it. Some of that tech is going to make its way into my J truck. If it rides and drives as well with some creature comforts I'll be delighted.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Dakota gauges are boring looking, especially the early FSJ ones which I currently have, however they function and function very well with my OBD2 engine swap. So weigh the good with the bad. Yes they're pricy, but easy to program and in my opinion worth the money. Had them a few years now without issue.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

I have speedhut gauges in my cherokee and really like them.
79 Cherokee Cheif. MPFI 401, T18/D20, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
93 YJ. 4.0, 5 Speed, SYE, hydroboost, WJ knuckles/brakes, 8.8 rear, OME 2.5in lift, warn M10000 winch. 31x10.50's
99 WJ limited. 4.0, auto, 2wd, stock.

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Digital gauges in an older vehicle just look bad and out of place. They don't look much better in a newer vehicle.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

I had them base the design of the faces off a picture of the factory gauges. They did a pretty good job.
79 Cherokee Cheif. MPFI 401, T18/D20, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
93 YJ. 4.0, 5 Speed, SYE, hydroboost, WJ knuckles/brakes, 8.8 rear, OME 2.5in lift, warn M10000 winch. 31x10.50's
99 WJ limited. 4.0, auto, 2wd, stock.

teking

Post by teking »

I used Vintage Auto Guages. I liked them because they looked like the originals but all new tech. They have many newer style models.Image

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

89_Wagon

Post by 89_Wagon »

I run the Digital gauge.. their VHX series. Nice quality and I trust the readings. I also have an LS/4l80 combo I'm aiming to swap in later this year and the OBD2 function will simplify that side of things. Currently though, I'm running the stock engine and T-case with the speed sensor and also a GM fuel tank and pump/fuel level sensor. I was able to select which fuel level sensor I am running and the fuel gauge runs from there. That was a really nice feature. People are surprised when I tell them it's an aftermarket gauge. It really looks like a stock setup, unless you are familiar with FSJs. I went with white lighting and black background. I thought that looked the most OEM.

It also stores the best 0-60 which I find is hilarious. I think mine is 25 seconds.
Last edited by 89_Wagon on Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Here are my Autometer gauges I did many many years ago. It was just about as expensive as the Dakota gauges available now. If I would do it again, I would do the stock looking Dakota VHX gauges that BJs sells.
guagesfin1_600.jpg
guagesfin3_600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power