new FSJ owner. want to build a decent tow rig

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
vwjuice

new FSJ owner. want to build a decent tow rig

Post by vwjuice »

Hello everyone, I just bought my first jeep ever a 1990 Grand Wagoneer. it has a rebuilt engine with less than 300 miles on it. Overall the jeep is in pretty good condition and I can't wait to get started on some things and drive it.

I want to modify the jeep a little bit to make it a decent trail rig (not anything crazy just some rutted forest service roads) and use it for towing.

So far my plan is a 4" lift to run 31" tires and add better bumpers for a winch and a roof rack for the spare tire. Airbags in the rear with an on board compressor.

I need help/ideas for towing though. I am not sure what gears my jeep has, but I plan on going with the 3.55's that were optional if it does not already have those. I am also going to install a shift kit into the trans setup for towing. also add a deeper trans pan and an external oil cooler to ensure the trans always has sufficient fluid and lower temps. Converting to an electric fan instead of the belt driven fan.

For the engine i am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on upgrades to improve low-mid range torque. I was thinking headers and exhaust, convert to a 4barrel carb and intake from edelbrock. Not sure what cam or heads people use for torque though.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Justin

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: new FSJ owner. want to build a decent tow rig

Post by Stuka »

Welcome to the forum!

Your Jeep will have either 2.73 gears (standard) or 3.31 (towing). 3.54's were never offered in Grand Wagoneers (they were available in 70's Jeeps).

How much weight are you expecting to tow? Wagoneers aren't really known for their towing ability. Not that they can't tow at all, but they are a narrow, short wheelbase vehicle. The most they were ever rated for was 5K pounds. J-Trucks were the only FSJ with higher tow ratings (They are longer and wider).

4" lift and 31's should be fine, though I would go with an 8" wide wheel over the stock 7" wide wheels for a better footprint.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
vwjuice

Post by vwjuice »

Stuka wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:44 pm Welcome to the forum!

Your Jeep will have either 2.73 gears (standard) or 3.31 (towing). 3.54's were never offered in Grand Wagoneers (they were available in 70's Jeeps).

How much weight are you expecting to tow? Wagoneers aren't really known for their towing ability. Not that they can't tow at all, but they are a narrow, short wheelbase vehicle. The most they were ever rated for was 5K pounds. J-Trucks were the only FSJ with higher tow ratings (They are longer and wider).

4" lift and 31's should be fine, though I would go with an 8" wide wheel over the stock 7" wide wheels for a better footprint.
Thank you.

My mistake. I was thinking they were 3.55 gears not 3.31's. I'll switch to the 3.31's if mine doesn't have those.

I really want to keep the stock wheels so i was thinking of going 31x9.50r15 tires. or I could look for aftermarket wheels that are close to the stock in appearance.

I have two trailers, a 29ft 5800lb travel trailer that I primarily use, but I am getting a 3600lb 19ft travel trailer in few months for camping in more remote areas doing more overlander type stuff.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Just FYI - the towing question has been covered a lot if you search old posts, here and at IFSJA. Plenty of information.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Afs ... a+wagoneer

First post - Welcome from Boston!
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
vwjuice

Post by vwjuice »

Thank you. I tried searching for towing, but it didn’t pull up much info.