Thinking of selling the Chief and buying a new Gladiator

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
seventynine

Thinking of selling the Chief and buying a new Gladiator

Post by seventynine »

Hey all…as it says l…I’m staring down the barrel at a Gladiator Rubicon :D. I want something new that I can tow with and still wheel a bit. Any of you folks have one? Never bought a new Jeep before.

I’m thinking of selling the 77’ Chief. It’s pretty nice… all original and only has 35k original miles on it. I bought it from the original owner over on IFSJA some years back.

I sold my J-10 last year. Im just trying to simplify my stable. I’ve got a couple of CJ’s I’m keeping. I’ll get back in the FSJ game…just taking a break.

Anyway…let me know if any of you have any interest. I can get you some details.
Dean

'79 J10
'77 Cherokee Chief
'79 CJ-7
'79 CJ-5
'46 CJ-2A
'93 ZJ Limted
'79 Cherokee Chief (traded for the J10)
'79 Wagoneer (RIP)
'13 FLSTN Softail Deluxe

will e

Re: Thinking of selling the Chief and buying a new Gladiator

Post by will e »

The new gladiators are nice. When I was looking to replace my Colorado LT with a more off road capable rig I looked at the Tacoma, Gladiator, Ranger and the Colorado zr2. I had waited for the release of the Gladiator and Ranger before deciding.

The Tacoma was crossed off the list due to head room. All of the models that had any kind of package included a sunroof. That reduced the headroom just enough to make it a non-option.

I liked the Ranger okay but the prices were pretty high because they had just come out.

The Gladiator suffered the same pricing problem. It was also just a bit longer than the Colorado. The length meant it would be a bit more difficult to park in the garage since space is tight. Also, I didn't like the large overhang behind the back wheel. And frankly I think they are not very attractive. S

The ZR2 Colorado package came stock with an upgraded suspension, off road tires, sliders, different bumpers to improve approach and departure angles and a front and rear selectable locker. And I was able to get the Chevy dealerships to 'fight' over the price.

Keep in mind I was keeping my regular off road rig. The zr2 was going to be used for easier trails when the wife and dog were going to tag along and double as my daily driver. It's been a fine rig for me and I am not unhappy with the choice I made.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

iharding

Post by iharding »

I am on the bubble with the new gladiator. My plan is to buy a base model then get the top of the line wheels and suspension from Craigslist for next to nothing.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I like the Gladiators. The rear overhang is only marginally more than the other trucks. Though its wheelbase is the longest of the mid size trucks. Though this also means it has the best rear leg room. I can actually sit behind myself in one (I am 6ft 3in). Its also available with a Manual for all trim packages if you like shifting yourself.

If I was in the market to replace my JKU, I would certainly consider a Gladiator. The Ranger Tremor and ZR2 are both good trucks too. I cannot sit in a Tacoma comfortably, so it would never end up on my list.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

dturnersr

Post by dturnersr »

I am interested in the Chief.
U.S. Army Retired, Former LEO
1974 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 401, Edlebrock, Holly 650, GM HEI, TH400, QTRAC w/Low range.

Topic author
seventynine

Post by seventynine »

iharding wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:04 pm I am on the bubble with the new gladiator. My plan is to buy a base model then get the top of the line wheels and suspension from Craigslist for next to nothing.
The wheels and tires and suspension are the least of my worries. I want the axles gearing lockers and 4:1 transfer case. I’ve built rigs and put all that stuff in there over time. Hell to buy it like that…priceless. Well actually it isn’t priceless;-) I’m just tired of work on them
Dean

'79 J10
'77 Cherokee Chief
'79 CJ-7
'79 CJ-5
'46 CJ-2A
'93 ZJ Limted
'79 Wagoneer (RIP)
'13 FLSTN Softail Deluxe

Topic author
seventynine

Post by seventynine »

Stuka wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:44 pm I like the Gladiators. The rear overhang is only marginally more than the other trucks. Though its wheelbase is the longest of the mid size trucks. Though this also means it has the best rear leg room. I can actually sit behind myself in one (I am 6ft 3in). Its also available with a Manual for all trim packages if you like shifting yourself.

If I was in the market to replace my JKU, I would certainly consider a Gladiator. The Ranger Tremor and ZR2 are both good trucks too. I cannot sit in a Tacoma comfortably, so it would never end up on my list.
I wouldn’t mind a manual trans in the Gladiator except it drops the tow rating from 7000 to 4500. I want to tow my Airstream with it. And there is just nothing more capable off the showroom floor than a Rubicon. Hands down.
Dean

'79 J10
'77 Cherokee Chief
'79 CJ-7
'79 CJ-5
'46 CJ-2A
'93 ZJ Limted
'79 Wagoneer (RIP)
'13 FLSTN Softail Deluxe

Topic author
seventynine

Post by seventynine »

dturnersr wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:19 pm I am interested in the Chief.
C979C612-7DD6-4355-B00C-B386C5D33B9A.jpeg
Pm me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dean

'79 J10
'77 Cherokee Chief
'79 CJ-7
'79 CJ-5
'46 CJ-2A
'93 ZJ Limted
'79 Wagoneer (RIP)
'13 FLSTN Softail Deluxe

dturnersr

Post by dturnersr »

Can't pm. Email me.
1974 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 401, Edlebrock, Holly 650, GM HEI, TH400, QTRAC w/Low range.

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

If the Gladiator has the 3.6 liter, I would say towing 7k with it won’t be any fun. My 2dr JK is not a powerhouse.
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
seventynine

Post by seventynine »

akguy09 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:55 pm If the Gladiator has the 3.6 liter, I would say towing 7k with it won’t be any fun. My 2dr JK is not a powerhouse.
Understand. I’d be towing closer to 5,800lbs. I’ve watched a few videos of towing tests that make me satisfied enough with the trade off between towing and off road capability. It’s really what they bridged here with the Gladiator…purposely.

I have a 7.3 PSD Excursion and a 2500 Suburban with a 496 in it. I’ve towed plenty with both of them. I’m ready to let them both go. Hell I’ve towed a bunch with my FSJ’s…which were barely adequate for it. I’m guessing the 3.6l has way more power and torque than our old 70’s 360’s…but I love those old motors. I can work on them with my eyes closed.
Dean

'79 J10
'77 Cherokee Chief
'79 CJ-7
'79 CJ-5
'46 CJ-2A
'93 ZJ Limted
'79 Wagoneer (RIP)
'13 FLSTN Softail Deluxe

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

TFL Truck has done a lot of tow testing (really the best place on the net for tow testing), and while the Gladiator doesn't shine when towing 7K pounds, it was adequate. And that was at high altitude. At lower altitudes and flatter areas, its fine. 30's years ago 1/2 ton trucks were rated to tow more than that with similar power and worse brakes.

Just be sure to get the Mopar trailer brake controller.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

dturnersr wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:28 pm Can't pm. Email me.
I removed your email from your post. Its really not a good idea to put your email in public facing posts.

You just need to make a few more posts and then you can private message. There is also built in email on the forum, so people can email you just by going to your profile.
2017 JKU Rubicon

letank

Post by letank »

really, towing with a gasser... go diesel, I mean turbo diesel.

and as usual... always avoid the first year of any model... there are always kinks that the smart designers have forgotten!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

letank wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:06 am really, towing with a gasser... go diesel, I mean turbo diesel.

and as usual... always avoid the first year of any model... there are always kinks that the smart designers have forgotten!
The Gladiator is available with the EcoDiesel, but its a lot more expensive. Not just to purchase, but to maintain as well. $200 oil changes suck.

The Gladiator is now starting its 3rd model year, and the JL platform is now starting its 5th year.

But gas engines are fine for towing. If I was to buy a new 3/4 ton for instance, it would be an F250 with the 7.3L gasser hands down. Plenty of power, WAY cheaper to buy, and WAY cheaper to maintain.
2017 JKU Rubicon

letank

Post by letank »

Stuka wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:48 am
letank wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:06 am really, towing with a gasser... go diesel, I mean turbo diesel.

The Gladiator is available with the EcoDiesel, but its a lot more expensive. Not just to purchase, but to maintain as well. $200 oil changes suck.

The Gladiator is now starting its 3rd model year, and the JL platform is now starting its 5th year.

But gas engines are fine for towing. If I was to buy a new 3/4 ton for instance, it would be an F250 with the 7.3L gasser hands down. Plenty of power, WAY cheaper to buy, and WAY cheaper to maintain.
$200 is a bargain... get a porsche macan, it is $900

as for diesel, you need to drive a lot of miles to recoup the costs
Michel

letank

Post by letank »

seventynine wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:35 pm I can work on them with my eyes closed.
Probably why is still love the FSJ... its simplicity yells "keep me"
Michel

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

letank wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:46 pm
$200 is a bargain... get a porsche macan, it is $900

as for diesel, you need to drive a lot of miles to recoup the costs
It’s about $400 for a Macan at a dealer for an oil and filter change. Half of that is labor. But there are other service items that could increase the cost for sure.

My point was that the EcoDiesel maintenance is a lot more than the 3.6L gas engine.
2017 JKU Rubicon

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Just an fyi on gladiators.. when i went to the dealership to get some limited slip additive for my wagoneer. I looked at the 15... yes 15 gladiators they had on the lot.

Everyone of them had the same issue. The welds on the frame were rusting. Im not being a jeep hater by saying thie or exaggerating but im serious. Everyone of them had rusted welds on the front up front. Both sides.

I dunno.. if a frame is rusting on the welds from factory.. thats pretty bad... it wasnt prepped. Or painted properly. Welds inherently rust badly if you dont paint them right. And if these are rusting... imagine 5 or 7 or 10 years from now ?

Jeep latetly for many years has had rust issues on frames. There was a video once with chryer bragging about their new (frame) i forgot which vehicle it was i do beli3ve it was a dodge or Jeep. And the dang thing had rust on it.. it was just a frame with the guy walkjng around talking about it.

Im not hitting on this new gladiator. I just would be cautious on it.. and make sure you get a good warranty that covers this. And id be crawling under it and insoecting the welds before you buy it
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

dturnersr

Post by dturnersr »

Stuka wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:39 am
dturnersr wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:28 pm Can't pm. Email me.
I removed your email from your post. Its really not a good idea to put your email in public facing posts.

You just need to make a few more posts and then you can private message. There is also built in email on the forum, so people can email you just by going to your profile.
Thanks