What is the correct wood grain color?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
ejeffrjr

What is the correct wood grain color?

Post by ejeffrjr »

My '87 Grand Wagoneer is being painted the original color, which is(for lack of a better name) a burgandy/purple metallic. I'd like to have the correct original wood grain. I see that BJ's Off Road offers four choices. Which is the correct original?

Marine Teak
Cherry Oak
Wagonmaster Marine Teak
Wagonmaster Cherry Oak

Also, any recommendations for sources for the complete package and trim borders?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SJTD

Re: What is the correct wood grain color?

Post by SJTD »

I'm guessing you posted this here by mistake. Try up in one of the Tech Forums.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Any grain you want , I had mine hydro diped in walnut gunstock by a guy in Reno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

ejeffrjr wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:58 am My '87 Grand Wagoneer is being painted the original color, which is(for lack of a better name) a burgandy/purple metallic. I'd like to have the correct original wood grain. I see that BJ's Off Road offers four choices. Which is the correct original?
I moved your post to General FSJ, as it looks like you accidentally posted it in the wrong area.

As for color, its your waggy, do which ever one you think will look the best. I do not think anybody has an exact 100% copy of what Jeep used at the factory though. The ones that are available are approximations.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Stuka wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:22 am
As for color, its your waggy, do which ever one you think will look the best. I do not think anybody has an exact 100% copy of what Jeep used at the factory though. The ones that are available are approximations.
This^

Wagonmaster is the closest to original, but it is a reproduction, and when held up to the original woodgrain is still different.

I believe marine teak with the closed end trim is what your probably came with.
The closed end trim (smaller panel style woodgrain that is separated by vertical breaks at the doors) came along mid 86.

Typically, the cherry would have been ended around the same time, however, I've seen instances where the main panel colors have been different than what was expected.

BJ's off road will have what you want. Scalloped trim with the wagonmaster (or other repop) option of your choice.

There is no database for originality as far as value is concerned.
If it is clean and in good shape, it will fetch good $$$ if you're concerned about resale.
Ironically, the LS swaps sell for the most and sell the fastest.

I did mine with a non-factory color woodgrain and it is LS swapped now. Both were my choices and what I wanted for me.
It also doesn't have perfect paint and gets driven a lot.

Still gets just as much attention everywhere. Nobody cares what motor it has or that the woodgrain color is different (most wouldn't know anyway).
Just yesterday, I was at a local parts store having the alternator checked.
Two guys come running over out of breath and tripping over themselves: "WOW! IS THAT ORIGINAL!?"
Me: "It's LS swapped."
Them, looking into the engine bay: "Holy $#!+!. WOW!"

So, if you're keeping it, make it yours! :-bd
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

3M still makes dinoc for architectural purposes - same thing now as it was then - it's wood grained vinyl meant to stand up to the elements. The specific grains are not available anymore, though.

Have a friend send me some swatches of new dinoc and holymoly. It looks better than factory IMO - actually has woodgrain texture. Will be going that route when it's time. Won't be original but it will be something that I like.

I got swatches from all the usual suspects for repro and they all were not great. Some were too green, some too yello, some looked out of focus. You're not going to get it to match right because they are being printed on a wide-format inkjet and reproduced with dots using six colors. The originals were made with spot colors.

Check it out: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/c/films-s ... s/surface/
1984 GW

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

https://www.spartancohydrographics.com/

Take a look at this place under film patterns

Topic author
ejeffrjr

Post by ejeffrjr »

Hi;
Thanks for the information. I didn't see these until I posted an new inquiry today, 12/26. Sorry for the duplication... Was applying it easily done by a fairly handy do it yourselfer?

melford72

Post by melford72 »

weeegoneeer wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:51 pm 3M still makes dinoc for architectural purposes - same thing now as it was then - it's wood grained vinyl meant to stand up to the elements. The specific grains are not available anymore, though.

Have a friend send me some swatches of new dinoc and holymoly. It looks better than factory IMO - actually has woodgrain texture. Will be going that route when it's time. Won't be original but it will be something that I like.

I got swatches from all the usual suspects for repro and they all were not great. Some were too green, some too yello, some looked out of focus. You're not going to get it to match right because they are being printed on a wide-format inkjet and reproduced with dots using six colors. The originals were made with spot colors.

Check it out: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/c/films-s ... s/surface/
@Weeegoneeer Thanks for the tip. I'm getting ready to put woodgrain on my project and this looks like a good option. Real woodgrain texture will be a nice touch. Interestingly, I called ICON this afternoon to ask them what they used on that blue 65 Wagoneer they did a few years ago. They used DI-NOC too. If it's good enough for one of their crazy expensive builds, I think it's good for mine.
70 1414x
5.3 LMG/4L60e/Dana 20
Dana 44s front and rear with 3.73s and discs

Previously, 72 Wagoneer
Carbed, Cammed, and Lifted

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

ejeffrjr wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:15 am Hi;
Thanks for the information. I didn't see these until I posted an new inquiry today, 12/26. Sorry for the duplication... Was applying it easily done by a fairly handy do it yourselfer?
The 3M dinoc I purchased in a roll form from metro restyling had adhesive backing. No water required for application. I've seen some that require water.

A heat gun (cheapie from hazard fraught) is a must.

Buy a small can of 3M #94 adhesive promoter. You'll need it as well.

denatured alcohol (I used isopropyl wound care stuff with no ill effects) for wiping down the body where you're gonna stick the stuff.

A felt edged squeegie for smoothing the vinyl.

Prep by:
Making sure the paint has had time to cure (gas off). Usually about a month in the summer, longer in winter months.

Wash vehicle and dry with new microfiber.

Lay a piece of painter's tape front to rear of vehicle at the top edge of where the woodgrain will be. This tape needs to be right above where the woodgrain will actually stick. Make sure the tape is visually straight according to body lines (the quarter panels do dip downward, so the woodgrain will follow that).

Cut woodgrain to size (I used posterboard and made templates to cut by). Keep in mind where the woodgrain wraps around body panels such as doors and allow extra length for that.

Work one panel at a time. Clean with alcohol. Using a small brush (think watercolor paint brush) apply 3M #94 adhesive stuff to any areas where the woodgrain wraps around (doors, etc) as well as any body lines/ridges. Stick painter's tap to top edge of woodgrain and apply so that tape sticks to the tape on the vehicle putting the woodgrain top edge right below the tape strip on vehicle.

Peel backing paper about 1" down all the way across top of woodgrain. Use squeegie to smooth. Slowly peel and squeegie, working from top to bottom/ middle to edges, using heat gun on low as needed.

This is the video I used to prep my mind for the job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrJXyfHscFk

Once imgur lets me log in (over capacity), I'll post up some pics from when I did mine.

edit, I grew impatient with imgur's BS and figured out a workaround via my phone and email.

Here is the tape line I was speaking of
https://imgur.com/0D5Hy3m
The first couple of images in this set visually explain the process a bit.
https://imgur.com/a/KQAzgdO
Here is the final product. Took about 3 hours to apply the main body sections.
https://imgur.com/15LRELA
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD