New Guy, First Post - What's The Width of the Chassis?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Warlordsix

New Guy, First Post - What's The Width of the Chassis?

Post by Warlordsix »

Hi, Guys.

Brand new to the forum. Have owned 9 Jeeps, but never a full-size. I'm getting ready fix that, though. Got eyes on an '88 Grand Wagoneer. Body is completely shot, but frame is solid. So, I have a re-body project in mind, but first I need to know the width of the frame (which I don't have in front of me right now)...from outside of passenger side frame rail to outside of driver side frame rail. Very much appreciate any answer.

BTW I will rebuild the motor, stick a TH700R4 behind it (lower first gear and and overdrive), but I'm not sure what transfer case I'll run (I don't mind the stock NP229, but the viscous coupling can be hard to source). Maybe I'll just run an NP231 instead. Anyway, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Many thanks.

Ernie

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: New Guy, First Post - What's The Width of the Chassis?

Post by Stuka »

Welcome to the forum.

The frame is not just one width. The it flares out as it goes back.

The VC is only in use when the 229 is in AWD mode. You can drive around in 2wd even with a burnt up one. A common swap if people ditch it is to go with a Jeep NP208.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Warlordsix

Re: New Guy, First Post - What's The Width of the Chassis?

Post by Warlordsix »

Stuka wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:53 pm Welcome to the forum.

The frame is not just one width. The it flares out as it goes back.

The VC is only in use when the 229 is in AWD mode. You can drive around in 2wd even with a burnt up one. A common swap if people ditch it is to go with a Jeep NP208.
Thanks, Stuka. Yeah, I'm aware the frame flares out towards the rear, but I just need a ballpark measurement somewhere under the front seat area. Appreciate the suggestion of the NP208, too.

Ernie