Just got this 1984 gem in Texas

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Yeller

Re: Just got this 1984 gem in Texas

Post by Yeller »

Looks like excellent survivor condition. Lack of rust is huge.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

AMC 20 rear axle, remanned Motorcraft 2150 carb. Looks like someone swapped out the front seats for something a bit more modern.

The lack of carpet inside saved those floor pans for sure. Go ahead and clean out those kick panel vents now before putting new carpet in. I used a flapper disc and wire wheel to clean up the floor pans in Radio Flyer before priming and painting with Rustoleum.

You're gonna need a fan shroud come summertime. I have one that is in okay shape from my Jeep. It has some minor damage close to where the steering box is, but doesn't affect how it worked. I'm running electric fans now with the LS, so I no longer need it.

Also, since yours is an 84, looks like it had the almond interior. I swapped all my stuff out for the later honey interior, so I also have the door panels stashed in a spare room. The driver's door is rough at the bottom, the other 3 are in good shape. You can always salvage the upholstery from the driver panel and use a new backing board, putting a strip of carpet at the bottom for a 'new' door panel. I did that with the honey colored set I put in mine.

I'm needing to clear out room. Both the fan shroud and door panels are yours if you pay shipping. :-bd

I can send pics if you wish.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

dodgerammit wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:58 pm AMC 20 rear axle, remanned Motorcraft 2150 carb. Looks like someone swapped out the front seats for something a bit more modern.

The lack of carpet inside saved those floor pans for sure. Go ahead and clean out those kick panel vents now before putting new carpet in. I used a flapper disc and wire wheel to clean up the floor pans in Radio Flyer before priming and painting with Rustoleum.

You're gonna need a fan shroud come summertime. I have one that is in okay shape from my Jeep. It has some minor damage close to where the steering box is, but doesn't affect how it worked. I'm running electric fans now with the LS, so I no longer need it.

Also, since yours is an 84, looks like it had the almond interior. I swapped all my stuff out for the later honey interior, so I also have the door panels stashed in a spare room. The driver's door is rough at the bottom, the other 3 are in good shape. You can always salvage the upholstery from the driver panel and use a new backing board, putting a strip of carpet at the bottom for a 'new' door panel. I did that with the honey colored set I put in mine.

I'm needing to clear out room. Both the fan shroud and door panels are yours if you pay shipping. :-bd

I’m definitely interested. Please let me know how much and how to send it to you. My zip code is 75561 in Hooks, Tx. Thank you!!

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Texxxan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:42 pm
dodgerammit wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:58 pm AMC 20 rear axle, remanned Motorcraft 2150 carb. Looks like someone swapped out the front seats for something a bit more modern.

I’m definitely interested. Please let me know how much and how to send it to you. My zip code is 75561 in Hooks, Tx. Thank you!!
I'll get you some pictures of the items tomorrow. If you don't see anything by Saturday, message me to remind me. I'm wrapping up the stuff on my Jeep and can become a bit preoccupied.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

dodgerammit wrote:

I'll get you some pictures of the items tomorrow. If you don't see anything by Saturday, message me to remind me. I'm wrapping up the stuff on my Jeep and can become a bit preoccupied.
I completely understand. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Texxxan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:10 pm
dodgerammit wrote:

You have a PM with pictures.

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

dodgerammit wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:02 pm
dodgerammit wrote:

Thank you!! I sent you a PM as well.

letank

Post by letank »

Welcome to the asylum.... good looking rig.

The fuel filter is usually fitted with a return line, but if your set up works, do not worry. An older rig such as my 74 does not have a return line. AND because of the hot location above the valve cover and the exhaust manifold, install the metal version to avoid gasoline leak!

The oil filler cap is fitted with a filter inside to avoid sucking up dirt, check the inside of the cap for some sore looking mesh looking media... People seems to be able to clean them, I cut one of those thick paper filter that comes with our vacuum cleaner filter pack, because I have the original set up, but in your case a small breather filter that are on motorcycle gear box vent could be used
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

letank wrote:Welcome to the asylum.... good looking rig.

The fuel filter is usually fitted with a return line, but if your set up works, do not worry. An older rig such as my 74 does not have a return line. AND because of the hot location above the valve cover and the exhaust manifold, install the metal version to avoid gasoline leak!

The oil filler cap is fitted with a filter inside to avoid sucking up dirt, check the inside of the cap for some sore looking mesh looking media... People seems to be able to clean them, I cut one of those thick paper filter that comes with our vacuum cleaner filter pack, because I have the original set up, but in your case a small breather filter that are on motorcycle gear box vent could be used
Thank you. I will get me a metal fuel filter tomorrow. Great advice.

letank

Post by letank »

Texxxan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:30 pm

I was thinking about the plastic fuel filter and had a second thought... monitor the state of that fuel filter, it might be heat resistant and a better insulator... the bad side of the metal fuel filter is that it conduct heat really well and could cause vapor locking.

The usual rule applies: if it ain't broken, don't fix it!

On my 74 I am still running the plastic fuel filter, BUT it is mounted on the inner fender well, away from the exhaust manifold and valve cover

Michel

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

letank wrote:
Texxxan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:30 pm

I was thinking about the plastic fuel filter and had a second thought... monitor the state of that fuel filter, it might be heat resistant and a better insulator... the bad side of the metal fuel filter is that it conduct heat really well and could cause vapor locking.

The usual rule applies: if it ain't broken, don't fix it!

On my 74 I am still running the plastic fuel filter, BUT it is mounted on the inner fender well, away from the exhaust manifold and valve cover

I have been wanting to set up a return line back to the tank. I’m going to look under the Jeep this week to see what all I need to do to make it happen and try and figure out why there isn’t one now.

letank

Post by letank »

Texxxan wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:02 am
I have been wanting to set up a return line back to the tank. I’m going to look under the Jeep this week to see what all I need to do to make it happen and try and figure out why there isn’t one now.
The return line (metal) should be found around the steering box, it is usually running next to the fuel supply line by the frame rail, the return is 1/4" ID while the supply is 5/16"

The early FSJ did not have a return line.

Some have done testing when encountering vapor locking and one success story was to disconnect the return line.
Michel

Topic author
Texxxan

Just got this 1984 gem in Texas

Post by Texxxan »

dodgerammit wrote:
dodgerammit wrote:

I just received everything. Thank you so much!!! I will definitely be able to use it all.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Texxxan wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:12 pm
dodgerammit wrote:

I just received everything. Thank you so much!!! I will definitely be able to use it all.

:-bd Good news! I know those door panels will improve the interior a bit.

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

I bought the complete TFI ignition upgrade, new aluminum radiator, new radiator hoses, and new water pump. I should start this sometime tomorrow. Dodgerammit gave me some door panels, fuel pump and sending unit, and fan shroud. I’m going to get them installed tomorrow and Tuesday. Any advice on installing these things will be greatly appreciated.

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

I also bought me these bucket seats and center console that I will figure out how to make work in my 84.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

The door panels install with those clips on the back. Finding those things will be the challenge, but might luck up in the help section of the auto parts store. The bottom of the panels install with short screws at the bottom edge of the door. If you redo the panels with a plastic or pvc board, I highly recommend xmas tree fasteners. You can find them at auto stores and your local big box stores like lowes.

The fuel pump is just attached on the bottom of that sending unit. If you use a new one or yours, you'll need to straighten out the pickup tube and cut it to match the length. The red wire is the positive feed, supplied when key is on. Black is ground. Access is under your rear seat. You'll see it. If riveted, drill out the rivets and reattach with short sheet metal screws. The locknut on the tank can be a bear. Vacuum any crap from around it before removal so that stuff doesn't fall into the tank. I used large slip joint pliers to remove mine.

Fan shroud uses the radiator mounting bolts if I'm remembering correctly.

TFI how to is on grimmjeeper, but is pretty straight forward.

Draw out the shape of your water pump on some cardboard when replacing it. Use the cardboard to hold the bolts in their proper location as you remove them. They are differing lengths.

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

dodgerammit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:38 am The door panels install with those clips on the back. Finding those things will be the challenge, but might luck up in the help section of the auto parts store. The bottom of the panels install with short screws at the bottom edge of the door. If you redo the panels with a plastic or pvc board, I highly recommend xmas tree fasteners. You can find them at auto stores and your local big box stores like lowes.

The fuel pump is just attached on the bottom of that sending unit. If you use a new one or yours, you'll need to straighten out the pickup tube and cut it to match the length. The red wire is the positive feed, supplied when key is on. Black is ground. Access is under your rear seat. You'll see it. If riveted, drill out the rivets and reattach with short sheet metal screws. The locknut on the tank can be a bear. Vacuum any crap from around it before removal so that stuff doesn't fall into the tank. I used large slip joint pliers to remove mine.

Fan shroud uses the radiator mounting bolts if I'm remembering correctly.

TFI how to is on grimmjeeper, but is pretty straight forward.

Draw out the shape of your water pump on some cardboard when replacing it. Use the cardboard to hold the bolts in their proper location as you remove them. They are differing lengths.
Thank you for the great advice. I’m looking forward to getting it all done soon.

iharding

Post by iharding »

My first jeep had 27 year old tires that looked great. Replacing them changed everything from ride to steering effort.
tgreese wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:46 am
dodgerammit wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:57 am
BaldBeardedBastard wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:20 am Nice find and welcome!

I would give the tire date code a check, as it can be a shocker at how old the tires are. When I bought mine the tires looked good with a quick glance but they were 11 years old!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Agreed! I forgot about tires. Usually any vehicle I get gets fresh tires as well. Tires on mine came immediately after the radiator and tune up. I can recommend Kumho AT51s in the 235/75/15 flavor for stock height. They work great on mine and are snow rated.
Old tires touted as "excellent" from the PO. This happened while sitting in the driveway.

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

While I was under my Wagoneer, I noticed some oil leaks from the rear main seal, transmission, and transfer case. I dropped the oil pan to replace the gasket and seal. Internals look ok. Rear main seal was hard as a rock. I’m also replacing the oil pump while I’m at it. I’ll drop the transmission in the morning and replace all seals and transfer case gaskets. Of course new transmission oil and filter will be done.