Carpet

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
1988SCWaggy

Carpet

Post by 1988SCWaggy »

1988 Grand Wagoneer. I will by buying the carpet from ACC. I bought some kilmat to lay down first. Any input on benefit of the backing, whether the Kilmat helps under the carpet? Any tips or tricks to installing the carpet are appreciated.

Chubbinius

Re: Carpet

Post by Chubbinius »

From my limited personal experience, I went with the mass backing for replacement set in my 1970 Wagoneer. I found that laying the carpet set out flat in the hot sun, backing side up, allowing it to heat and soften definitely helped it lay smoother over the floor contours and transmission tunnel. You can also use a heat gun to warm and form any tough spots.

Good luck!
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
1988SCWaggy

Post by 1988SCWaggy »

Chubbinius wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:19 am From my limited personal experience, I went with the mass backing for replacement set in my 1970 Wagoneer. I found that laying the carpet set out flat in the hot sun, backing side up, allowing it to heat and soften definitely helped it lay smoother over the floor contours and transmission tunnel. You can also use a heat gun to warm and form any tough spots.

Good luck!
Thanks. My wagoneer is bare metal on the floors. Did you have to remake the board that lays on the cargo area? I have found the boards for the tailgate and wheels wells but not the floor.

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Yup, but it's not too hard- trace it out in paper or cardboard. Then some very thin plywood and firing strips/trim for the "valleys" and either staple gun or wood glue to the sheet.

I did POR-15 the floors and wheel wells. Also used 80 mil kilmat across the floors, under the mass-backed essex style carpet set
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

kjandb

Post by kjandb »

1988SCWaggy wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:31 pm 1988 Grand Wagoneer. I will by buying the carpet from ACC. I bought some kilmat to lay down first. Any input on benefit of the backing, whether the Kilmat helps under the carpet? Any tips or tricks to installing the carpet are appreciated.
I can't find the thread right now, but most folks suggested not buying the mass backing if you're doing Kilmat. I know one of the reasons was the non-mass backing is easier to lay/mold and looks better.

I'll be doing my carpet (with kilmat and reg acc carpet) in a few weeks so I can report back then. Good luck.
'71 Wagoneer - 4" BJ's Leaf Lift - early 360 - Avocado Mist ???
S Idaho

Topic author
1988SCWaggy

Post by 1988SCWaggy »

kjandb wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:06 pm
1988SCWaggy wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:31 pm 1988 Grand Wagoneer. I will by buying the carpet from ACC. I bought some kilmat to lay down first. Any input on benefit of the backing, whether the Kilmat helps under the carpet? Any tips or tricks to installing the carpet are appreciated.
I can't find the thread right now, but most folks suggested not buying the mass backing if you're doing Kilmat. I know one of the reasons was the non-mass backing is easier to lay/mold and looks better.

I'll be doing my carpet (with kilmat and reg acc carpet) in a few weeks so I can report back then. Good luck.
Thanks. I am laying the kilmat now and have decided against the mass backing. I am ordering new panels for back panels and cargo floor. Mine came with damaged side panels, but no floor piece for the cargo area. Do you know how the floor piece is attached in the cargo area?

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Some earlier years had a mad that fit down into the grooves but was flat on top. Wish I could find one. Mine had strips of "cardboard".
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

AccrateDelivery

Post by AccrateDelivery »

1988SCWaggy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:13 pm
kjandb wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:06 pm

Thanks. I am laying the kilmat now and have decided against the mass backing. I am ordering new panels for back panels and cargo floor. Mine came with damaged side panels, but no floor piece for the cargo area. Do you know how the floor piece is attached in the cargo area?
The rear carpeted cargo section is held in place by chrome 'sliders' that are screwed through the carpet and into the floor. They are both functional and decorative, as they allow you to pull cargo/suitcases/whatever in and out of that area, with less friction from the carpeting. I think there are 5 or 6 of them? They run front to back and are approximately 15" long each.

Topic author
1988SCWaggy

Post by 1988SCWaggy »

Thanks. I have the strips. I thought they were just screwed through carpet into panel, not through to the floor. Thanks.