Lifts

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Chatterbox

Lifts

Post by Chatterbox »

I put these tires on knowing I was going to do a lift but I needed tires that would hold air. After I got them on it wasnt as bad as I had thought. Now in the two years of this being at deer camp I haven't flexed it but tire rubbing has never been a problem on these 33s. I think the spring are original. After researching everything says I need 6 inch left. I want to be able to flex without tires rubbing but also don't want any more lift than needed. Do I really need a six in lift to flex this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

backroadin'

Re: Lifts

Post by backroadin' »

Doubt it - leaf springs are probably too stiff to fully flex without a wheel coming off the ground. Maybe some rubbing at full steering lock and flexed. Those flares allow more wheelwell room than narrow track fsj's - but even 6" on a narrow track isn't neccesary for regular wheeling. It depends on what you want to do with it.
My wag has 6" total of lift (4 spring/2 body) and I have 33's. My shocks only travel about a few inches either way from neutral when flexing, even though they're 27 to 29" long extended and have like 13" of travel. It's just too stiff to flex more than that. I think you'll be fine unless you want to wheel it way more extreme, and then you'll probably want to remove some leafs or get lighter packs.
My vote is go with it untill you rub, unless you want to lift it for looks, then 4" will be plenty and cheaper than 6". Too tall and you've gotta lengthen diveshafts, etc..

BTW, nice lookin truck - I LOVE those wheels!!!! :-bd
'73 Wagoneer 4.0 stroker/t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

You need 6" of lift for a Wagoneer (without cutting). But not for a J-Truck. J-Trucks can run 33's without any lift in most cases. If you want a bit more clearance, a 2.5" or 4" lift can be used.

I am actually surprised you are able to run 33x12.50's with those wheels. Normally they rub the rear springs and e-brake cable. Though maybe those are 33x10.50's?

But either way, you can drive it that way without issues. They may rub a little at full stuff, but a stock height long bed truck isn't exactly a rock crawler.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Chatterbox

Post by Chatterbox »

They are 10.5. The biggest tire I could find to fit them. Discount tire wouldn't install then, where I bought them, because they said they wouldnt fit the wheel even though they have no fsj in thier computers and the tire manufacturer said they would.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ahh, if they are 10.50's, then I doubt you will ever rub. Maybe if you fully stuff the front, and turn the tire all the way, it might. But you should be fine if thats all you are concerned about.

It would be worth checking the condition of your stock springs and bushings though. They are probably due to be replaced anyway. So you could always go stock height, or perhaps a 2.5" for a bit more clearance.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ