MTS Plastic Fuel Tank

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
JWestfall

MTS Plastic Fuel Tank

Post by JWestfall »

I recently installed the MTS plastic fuel tank in my 72 Wagoneer. It is advertised as 21 gallons like the stock tank, but mine only holds about 18 and the fuel gauge only shows a little 3/4 full. I have filled it to the point where I can see standing gas in the filler tube. Has anyone else experience this? Thanks

Moosehead

Re: MTS Plastic Fuel Tank

Post by Moosehead »

Yes, you describe my experience exactly. I had to place a few foam pucks around the tank to keep it from moving around.
‘78 Wagoneer
401 with street cam, heads, headers, Holley Sniper EFI, rear discs, Alcan springs, Trucklite LED headlights

tgreese

Re: MTS Plastic Fuel Tank

Post by tgreese »

Fuel gauge reads the level in the tank, not its capacity. The tank would have to be 3/4 as tall as the original to measure 3/4 of a tank at full, assuming it correctly reads empty. You have both the tanks and could measure.

Did you use a new sender? Quality control on such parts is not great. I would adjust the sender arm so that it reads empty to full over the full depth of the tank.

One option would be to have your tank cleaned and coated by a shop, usually a radiator shop. Or find a used tank that you can use. Otherwise, MTS is pretty much the only option.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.