You've got a 98 TJ and $1200 bucks. What do you do first?

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Nikkormat

You've got a 98 TJ and $1200 bucks. What do you do first?

Post by Nikkormat »

Let's say your a 17 year old kid, your getting ready for your first summer with your Jeep, and you've got $1200 bucks saved up to get it ready.

You drive a 98 TJ with a 4.0 and an automatic transmission. Its bone stock and rides on 30x9.50 BFG KO's. You want to do some wheeling right up to the ragged edge of what a stock TJ can handle. And sometimes you might be doing it alone or with someone who is completely incapable of helping. Say for example your friend came along for the ride, and parked his outback a few miles into the trail when the going got too rough.

And sometime you might be wheeling with your other two idiot friends, one in a 90's Chevy pickup on bald old Michelin's. And one in a surprisingly heavy old Jeep that has a habit of getting himself burried to the frame before he finally stops.

Or maybe your friend in his stock 4 runner on street tires tried to follow you up to a remote camp site and halfway there he's high centered himself on the only rock in the trail.

Anyway, my point is that having capable recovery gear would be my priority right off the bat. Wheeling alone or with your idiot friends you are going to use it.

What I would do:

Quadratec winch plate: $100

Smittybilt x20 10k winch: $400

Winch accessory kit: $100

AGM Battery and new terminals: $180

Mirror relocation brackets: $20

Full length Bimini top: $60

Cab cover: $100

Windshield Channel: $30

Rocker panel gaurds: 1/8" thick for $115 or 1/4" for $230

What else would you add? Is there an area the factory skidplates don't adequately protect?

What would you do instead of recovery gear?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

az chip

Re: You've got a 98 TJ and $1200 bucks. What do you do first?

Post by az chip »

Recovery and driveability first. Then tops and mirrors.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Locker and a yank strap. Save the rest for a tow truck or gas. :-bd
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I told him I'd get a set of cheap mud tires.
Last edited by Nikkormat on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Just jet a plain lead acid battery and skip the AGM. People have been wheeling with regular batteries for decades without issue.

Recovery points before winch.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

will e

Post by will e »

If you wheel alone you want a winch. It doesn't have to be a fancy high speed winch, it just has to work. Also recovery gear and three snatch blocks so you can pull yourself backwards.

The winch will help with your friends as well. A snatch strap is nice but if they are really stuck you will beat the heck out of your rig trying to get them out. With a winch you just block the wheels, hook them up and pull them out. Again the three snatch blocks will really help if they are really stuck.

Recover points are a must.

If you do go out a lot by yourself a spare battery in good condition isn't a bad idea. You don't need a fancy dual battery setup, just a spare you keep trickle charged and toss in (and secure) when you head out.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

EastBeast

Post by EastBeast »

What all these guys said. Skip fancy and go reliable. Recovery points. Recovery points. Securely mounted. And give the jeep a tune up

Post by 243 »

CB and cell phone, the rest for gas.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

To update this, found a Tabor 9k winch for $150 with a mounting plate locally. $150 in parts later he has a rebuilt warn which with wireless remote and practicaly new cable.

Found a set of rocker guards for $220

Used BFG AT's mounted for $80

Now he needs a highlift, mounts, recovery points, a couple of straps and a snatch block.

His first real wheeling trip is tomorrow!

BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

$35 for a HAM radio and taking the classes would be my #1 priority if I were in his shoes! Seems like wheeling is going there anyways and such a small investment would go a really long way if there was ever an emergency.

I would avoid lockers in the stock axles forever! You will never get the return on that money. If you really wanted lockers, I would call around to the 4x4 lift shops and see if someone upgraded to some real axles and forfeited their stock axles that they put lockers into. Same would go with searching CL or even posting a wanted ad. You should be able to pick them up REALLY CHEAP and avoid a ton of parts and labor costs at the same time. This would be a project "on this side" that you could be ready to pounce on if/when it pops up. Colorado4x4.org would also be a potential source if you look up the build threads.

Recovery points would be #2 as you will need them whether you are with friends or not (if you have a winch). They are also necessary if you are going to snatch block your winch. A 9K winch is plenty for a little TJ. I bet they weigh less than 4K when they are fully loaded. I have read that 2X rig weight is a good place to have your winch capacity for max line pull. Doesn't the stock bumper on a TJ have a winch plate incorporated? IOW do you even need a winch plate? I have never dealt with one but I have never heard of anyone having to buy one either.

I think the winch accessory kit would be the next necessity after the winch. I have seen them on CL a few times for a small discount over new with very little usage. My problem is that the snatch blocks that come with the kitted sets are not rated for my max line pull so I am sourcing the snatch blocks individually and buying a tree saver strap. I already carry gloves and d-rings in my toolkit and figure I am starting out halfway to a kit anyways since I don't want/need the bag!

I would avoid the hi lift. I have never used mine on the trail and would be hesitant to do so if the need came up. I use mine around the house (lifting trailers and pulling fence posts) more than anything. I be you could take a poll and my guess would be 20% or lower of Jeepers use their high-lift on the trail. Especially with small tires... the stock jack that came from the factory should be plenty to do a tire change on the trail. Worst case, I would invest in a 20ton bottle jack from HF if he goes with intermediate sized tires.

It is a little late to be compiling this stuff if his wheeling trip is tomorrow.
'74 J30 with some upgrades

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Michael's hi lift got me out when his 9k winch could not. That really impressed me. We lifted the Jeep and shifted it sideways off of the stump I had found under the snow. I think I'm going to find a way to mount mine In the Jeep. Better than the stock POS.

I'm trying to get my buddy's into radio but they haven't learned the whole "uh oh my phone's dead/no service and all of my contacts are utterly incapable of providing aid" thing yet.

Nothing to serious on the schedule for tomorrow. Two vehicles and a few good tow rope should be plenty.

I don't know how serious he's going to get with this whole offroad business. For now he's at least added some body armor set he won't trash it the first time he finds a rock.

As far as lockers go, I think he'd be well served by a lunch box based on his driving so far. And that's not much of an investment especially used. I don't think he's even going to lift this Jeep, can he really kill a 35 with 31's?

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

How'd it go?
Oh, also sell the TJ and buy a FSJ. Heck might as well be broke from day 1 right? ;)
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

It went well. His exhaust manifold cracked, which may or may not have been incidental. Only real oops of the day occurred when he drove the front axle up onto a boulder instead of putting his tire on it. We were able to push him off without damage.

Here he is parked where I was stuck up to the doors in snow 3 days earlier.Image

I've got a few videos too I can post up tomorrow.

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

First and foremost get a steering box skid plate. The steering box on the TJ sits dangerously low in the water.

Secondly get tow hooks for the front and rear.

Seeing as how you're from Colorado I'd assume the Jeep has no rust. The TJ's rot at the attach points for the trans/transfer case skid.

I have a 98 TJ and one thing we kept breaking A LOT were the factory swaybar links.

ALSO with the auto trans the breather is inside the bellhousing so be careful with your water crossings. AMHIK.

HiLift jack is another must. On a TJ you can use it on the stock bumpers if need be.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

HiLifts work with stock 3 piece waggy bumpers too. Can't vouch for the aluminum ones.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Here's there first obstical: https://youtu.be/JclaxfQTnUI

Don on the same spot 3 days earlier: https://youtu.be/gA2mD4dstEI

There second obstical: https://youtu.be/bxR5mEDE0zk

There first real challenge: https://youtu.be/verZvioI6gg

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Just for fun, here's wyatt on the fun line of that first obstical: https://youtu.be/qhV2p9EV0kw