2014 Cherokee...

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

81Cherokee Laredo

Re: 2014 Cherokee...

Post by 81Cherokee Laredo »

I saw afew the other day at the delership, one was a trail hawk. I like them better in person than the pics on the net. still not sure on the front lights though, will probably grow on me. Sales person said they havent had any issues selling them. While I'm not into the suv/crossover thing, thats what the market wants. Good fuel economy and a nice ride are expected. The fact are 85% of them will never see any off payment use, Jeep knows this, thats why the xj,GC and all those ugly little car jeeps were sold in 2wd models. The majority of the offroad crowd will want the wrangler or older jeep for offroading.
81 Cherokee Laredo 360/727/219 - SOA/SF Inwk - 4.56 D44/AMC20 35 Cooper's - J20 Steering Box
83 Cherokee W/T - Katy - Long term project
89 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229 - 31 X 10.50

UKJeeper

Post by UKJeeper »

Listening to the XJ Talk show podcast this evening, while walking the dogs, i LOL'ed at the way they ragged on the 2014 Cherokee for being (allegedly) designed by Fiat. I guess the Renault driving fools are forgetting something... :P
Last edited by UKJeeper on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
'79 Cherokee 2 door (RIP)
'79 Cherokee 4 door (RIP)
'79 Cherokee 2 door (RIP
'82 Cherokee Chief

'91 YJ

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

EXACTLY!!!!! ^^^^^^^

Sent from my Motorola Moto X
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

RipVanArkie

Post by RipVanArkie »

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/fcinsrc/ ... t=3&page=1

Steve in AR
63 Willys Waggy, 4dr, 4x4, PS, PB, 2v, elec wipers, IFS.
1414c 12276

UKJeeper

Post by UKJeeper »

'79 Cherokee 2 door (RIP)
'79 Cherokee 4 door (RIP)
'79 Cherokee 2 door (RIP
'82 Cherokee Chief

'91 YJ

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Oh sure, show a modified SJ and XJ next to the stock KL :P Also that SJ looks like a Waggy, not a Cherokee (going by tail lights)?

It actually would be a neat test to take a 100% stock WT SJ Cherokee, XJ Cherokee, KJ Liberty, and KL Cherokee, and take each of them through the Rubicon. See which one makes it through the easiest.

The KL is the only one with a locker, but it has no suspension travel. It also has the most power, although that would not matter much. I think the XJ may win, just because of its smaller size but with solid axles. Although those axles do very little flexing with the sway bars hooked up. So the SJ would win there as there is no rear sway bar, and maybe a front depending on year.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Stuka wrote: It actually would be a neat test to take a 100% stock WT SJ Cherokee, XJ Cherokee, KJ Liberty, and KL Cherokee, and take each of them through the Rubicon. See which one makes it through the easiest.
Challenge accepted. Currently seeking volunteers :P
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

Even though the KL has a rear locker you still can't fully lock in the center diff so it's pretty useless to even have it.

77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

nc wagoneer wrote:Even though the KL has a rear locker you still can't fully lock in the center diff so it's pretty useless to even have it.

Yes you can. Not on the lower end models. But the trail hawk has several terrain modes as well as low range.
2017 JKU Rubicon

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

Okay, I'd seen the review of the regular models in some off road magazines and online and they complained about it. Hadn't seen a trail hawk review though.

77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
Also:

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:
Stuka wrote: It actually would be a neat test to take a 100% stock WT SJ Cherokee, XJ Cherokee, KJ Liberty, and KL Cherokee, and take each of them through the Rubicon. See which one makes it through the easiest.
There HAS to be somebody in the Jeep community who could put this together...that'd be awesome. Could even allow the best "trim level" of each class to be used.

Which makes me wonder: Out of all SJ Cherokees, what year/trim would be the most trail capable in stock form?
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

TUDrewser wrote:
Grand_Wag_85 wrote:
There HAS to be somebody in the Jeep community who could put this together...that'd be awesome. Could even allow the best "trim level" of each class to be used.

Which makes me wonder: Out of all SJ Cherokees, what year/trim would be the most trail capable in stock form?
'78 WT with a T18a/D20 would be my choice. '79 had a front sway bar, which would limit articulation.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

True a stock XJ or SJ doesnt have the lockers or fancy technology that the new one does, howeer there is a lot more room to modify the SJ and XJ from its stock form. I dont see it being near as easy to do axle swaps, motor swaps, lifts, or almost anything on the KL.
In the market for a new FSJ

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

I'd say if the trash-lock is still somewhat working it would be sj hands down!!!

77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
Also:

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Shagoneer wrote:True a stock XJ or SJ doesnt have the lockers or fancy technology that the new one does, howeer there is a lot more room to modify the SJ and XJ from its stock form. I dont see it being near as easy to do axle swaps, motor swaps, lifts, or almost anything on the KL.
Very true. With the exception of a very few vehicles, mods are harder and harder to do without major work. The Wrangler is one of the last easy to mod vehicles, but looks like that will change next generation due to fuel economy standards.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

For the test to be 'fair' wouldn't they all have to be 4DR's? Only a problem for the XJ and SJ.

I agree that the T18/D20 would be the right drivetrain to have but I'm sure some could argue the granny gear to be an unfair advantage. Then again with Jeep guys no matter how fair you try and make it we're gonna pick it apart. :roll:
nc wagoneer wrote:I'd say if the trash-lock is still somewhat working it would be sj hands down!!!
My experience with the Tack-Lok diff is that you need to have some decent throttle going for it to work. Great if you're stuck in the snow but not so much if rock crawling.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:For the test to be 'fair' wouldn't they all have to be 4DR's? Only a problem for the XJ and SJ.

I agree that the T18/D20 would be the right drivetrain to have but I'm sure some could argue the granny gear to be an unfair advantage. Then again with Jeep guys no matter how fair you try and make it we're gonna pick it apart. :roll:
nc wagoneer wrote:I'd say if the trash-lock is still somewhat working it would be sj hands down!!!
My experience with the Tack-Lok diff is that you need to have some decent throttle going for it to work. Great if you're stuck in the snow but not so much if rock crawling.
I do not think the T18a would be unfair as its crawl ratio is still worse. The first gear is low (6.32:1), but the D20's low range sucks (2.03:1). So a 70's Cherokee with a T18a/D20 and stock 3.54 gears has a crawl ratio of 45.42:1. The only FSJ with a better crawl is an 80's J20 with a T18a/NP208 (61.53:1)

A new 2014 Cherokee Trail hawk has a crawl ratio of 56:1 thanks to a lower low range, 9 speed transmission, and deeper axle gears.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

This is very similar to the discussion about the newest Range Rover (Evoque? Evo-something). It has a big computer in it that controls the diffs rather than older tech solid axles and lockers. It is very aero-friendly for good (but not great) MPG on the road, especially compared to the old Discovery. Saw the Top Gear guys test one and it actually did fairly well. But it is not a 'traditional' 4x4 so it doesn't carry a lot of respect from the Range Rover crowd. The new Cherokee seems to be following a similar path. Technology makes up for lack of solid axles, etc, that had to fall away to make this a modern vehicle. Saw a 'Limited' model parked in front of the lunch place today. It was OK, the lights are very wierd in person, more so than in the pictures. It looked nice inside though with fancy seats and cupholders and whatnot.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

Saw one in person for the first time the other day. Had to hold down my vomit when I saw the front end but the rest seems okay.

77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
Also:

plasticboob

Post by plasticboob »

Sorry to bring the party down, but I also got a chance to see one at a dealer (no test drive, yet). Man, what a terrible car. And no, I don't mean the underlying drivetrain, which is semi-impressive. The design, proportions, and angles are all terrible! The quality is simply not there and the interior, with its roller-coaster lines, made me dizzy and nauseated. In many ways it reminded me of the WJs.

Living in the L.A. area, and being a car guy, I kind of take mental notes on how many vehicles of a certain model I see. After a new BMW is released, they pop up all over. Same with the CR-V, Rav4, Tahoe, and even Range Rover. After the Nissan Juke went on sale, I started seeing them popping up here and there in healthy numbers. The new Cherokee has been on sale for how long now? I just saw my first one a few weeks ago and none since then. I don't know where they're selling, but they certainly aren't to be found around here.

I give Fiat one or two years before they either change the name, the looks, or both.

I actually like the Evoque for what it is. Much better body and interior quality, nice design (especially the two-door!!!!), and I have seen a few of them driving around. That's how you do it. I'd never consider one, but I think it adds to the Land Rover brand and helps build it up, rather than this new Cherokee which is just sullying the Jeep name. Can you imagine if they named the Evoque "Defender" instead?!? Of course Jeep goes the other way. :banghead: Oh well, at least they got the WK2 Grand Cherokee right.
Rather than looking to previous models for inspiration, Gilles says that the Cherokee has been designed to be more contemporary, with Mark Allen, head of Jeep design, adding that a main goal was to make sure the design still looks modern five years from now.
ROFL!!! Wow - Toyota, take note! Is this how all cars and crossovers are going to look soon?! I hope not!

Any bets on how amazingly good and fresh the Cherokee design will look in 5 years? In my opinion, the new Cherokee is more Aztek than VehiCross (which debuted to much criticism in 1999 but aged well and looks really good today, again imho). Aztek? Still looks just as bad as when it rolled out of the junkyard...oops, I mean, factory!

Quirky can be done, but it's very difficult and requires all the planets to align juuuust right.
Rob
1974 Cherokee S, fuel-injected 401,Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
Click here for video