LJ Thoughts

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Re: LJ Thoughts

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Would love to daily a scrambler! Just think that would be too much old school for dealing with traffic. Plus I am somewhat nostalgic and would want to baby the scrambler and not put many miles on it. But there is one close to me I may have to ask about because it just sits at an airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

1979bettywhite wrote:Would love to daily a scrambler! Just think that would be too much old school for dealing with traffic. Plus I am somewhat nostalgic and would want to baby the scrambler and not put many miles on it. But there is one close to me I may have to ask about because it just sits at an airport.

There's a fairly original Scrambler that lives in a gas station around here. The owner is obsessed with it which I can understand. Mine wasn't original when I got it (PO had a 360 swapped in) so I began modifying it to what I wanted while trying to retain its roots. The SOA actually rides pretty well and DDing it wouldn't be hard. I need to rebuild the carb as it's developed a leak but it runs better than our waggy. The guy that I stalled the motor and tuned the carb knew his stuff. I am guessing the ethanol didn't agree with the old motor craft carb gaskets/seals. Poor jeep has sat more than being used... I need to fix that.
If someone (ahem..Image) doesn’t buy it.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Lol. Yeah luckily I have a station close to me that has ethanol free gas. That's all the CJ and the chief get. Really helps on the maintenance. Nice scrambler though!

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
1979bettywhite wrote:Would love to daily a scrambler! Just think that would be too much old school for dealing with traffic. Plus I am somewhat nostalgic and would want to baby the scrambler and not put many miles on it. But there is one close to me I may have to ask about because it just sits at an airport.

There's a fairly original Scrambler that lives in a gas station around here. The owner is obsessed with it which I can understand. Mine wasn't original when I got it (PO had a 360 swapped in) so I began modifying it to what I wanted while trying to retain its roots. The SOA actually rides pretty well and DDing it wouldn't be hard. I need to rebuild the carb as it's developed a leak but it runs better than our waggy. The guy that I stalled the motor and tuned the carb knew his stuff. I am guessing the ethanol didn't agree with the old motor craft carb gaskets/seals. Poor jeep has sat more than being used... I need to fix that.
I see the Cobb tag, you in GA?

tedlovesjeeps71

1979bettywhite wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:

I see the Cobb tag, you in GA?

Not anymore. Grew up in Ga but have lived all over thanks to the army. Now I’m in Colorado. The rest of my family still lives in Ga, mostly Roswell and Augusta.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Well I am sure that when you come back you are ready to go right back to CO, lol. Getting anywhere in this city is crazy. Still a great city, but not a great city for maneuverability.

derf

Post by derf »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:There's a fairly original Scrambler that lives in a gas station around here. The owner is obsessed with it which I can understand. Mine wasn't original when I got it (PO had a 360 swapped in) so I began modifying it to what I wanted while trying to retain its roots. The SOA actually rides pretty well and DDing it wouldn't be hard. I need to rebuild the carb as it's developed a leak but it runs better than our waggy. The guy that I stalled the motor and tuned the carb knew his stuff. I am guessing the ethanol didn't agree with the old motor craft carb gaskets/seals. Poor jeep has sat more than being used... I need to fix that.
It has a lot of potential, that's for sure. I'd need to slim down my fleet first. Once I fix a few things on the XJ I think I'll be ready to put it on the auction block.

tedlovesjeeps71

derf wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:There's a fairly original Scrambler that lives in a gas station around here. The owner is obsessed with it which I can understand. Mine wasn't original when I got it (PO had a 360 swapped in) so I began modifying it to what I wanted while trying to retain its roots. The SOA actually rides pretty well and DDing it wouldn't be hard. I need to rebuild the carb as it's developed a leak but it runs better than our waggy. The guy that I stalled the motor and tuned the carb knew his stuff. I am guessing the ethanol didn't agree with the old motor craft carb gaskets/seals. Poor jeep has sat more than being used... I need to fix that.
It has a lot of potential, that's for sure. I'd need to slim down my fleet first. Once I fix a few things on the XJ I think I'll be ready to put it on the auction block.
I hear ya. At this point I’m probably going to look into going to school again. That would negate the need to sell the Jeep which I really don’t want to do. Problem is that everyday in the apartment is getting harder to live with. Too bad I can’t get a loan on the Jeep. Haha.

tedlovesjeeps71

Passed 2 LJs today, one going to and one come home from work. Then I ran into this guy... Image

CJs always turn my head.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

LJ Thoughts

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Nice. Got to test drive one last Sunday. Standard unlimited with a 3.5 coil lift and roughly 34s". Ride was OK but it was originally a NJ jeep brought south. From inspection there was really no big rust issues. Everything just surface rust. But I am sure almost every bolt would be a bear to put a wrench to going forward. Still on my search. An unmolested Rubicon popped up as well. 85k miles, manual, even had the optional GPS and sirius from the factory. Asking $21k for it. More than I want to pay but they may get close to it. Too rare for me to daily it. May just have to give up the Rubicon idea and settle for a standard unlimited for a quality daily.

tedlovesjeeps71

For a DD, the extra expense/premium for a Rubicon would be hard for me to justify. Now maybe if it were a JKU Rubicon where so many more were made and should soon be flooding the market as the JL takes root, I'd think prices will eventually come down. Should be a lot of JK mall-crawled rubicons to choose from.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Yes, but I don't want a JK. Those are everywhere :). I want an LJ.

tedlovesjeeps71

I can dig that. I guess I'm on the fence for an LJ DD. If you needed the ability (bad roads/weather) I could justify the premium on a Ruby LJ. Plus they will eventually have a collector value so it's kinda an investment.
But even a well kept non-ruby LJ would serve fine as a DD and probably gain value in the decades to come, much like the Scrambler.
I hope you find something you like.

cpfeifffer

Post by cpfeifffer »

Here you go:

https://expeditionportal.com/expo-class ... 800-miles/

1978 Cherokee Chief
5.3L L33, 4L60E, Atlas II 5.0

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

That is one clean LJ. Well, minus all the rusty stuff because TJ's didn't have everything coated from the factory. I have a friend that bought an '06 Rubicon new, and the knuckles and drive shafts were already covered in rust.

WAY too expensive though.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tedlovesjeeps71

Stuka wrote:That is one clean LJ. Well, minus all the rusty stuff because TJ's didn't have everything coated from the factory. I have a friend that bought an '06 Rubicon new, and the knuckles and drive shafts were already covered in rust.

WAY too expensive though.
I remember seeing TJs for the first time (back then) and noticing the same thing. I remember wondering how so many made it through without being painted. Weird.

VA-AMCjeep

Post by VA-AMCjeep »

I've daily driven my 04 LJ for like 10 years now. Without the back seat I use it like a little pickup truck. I do wish it was about a foot longer like a cj8, so i could put full size lumber in it without having the glass on the hardtop up. But it's a nice running little jeep, that's not really little. Nearly all 2004s are autos and every lj got a rear Dana 44 and 4.0 stock.
1984 j10 LWB
2004 LJ

tedlovesjeeps71

VA-AMCjeep wrote:I've daily driven my 04 LJ for like 10 years now. Without the back seat I use it like a little pickup truck. I do wish it was about a foot longer like a cj8, so i could put full size lumber in it without having the glass on the hardtop up. But it's a nice running little jeep, that's not really little. Nearly all 2004s are autos and every lj got a rear Dana 44 and 4.0 stock.
When I have the full hardtop on my Scrambler there is still no way to get full length lumber in it without the glass up. Now with the halfcab it becomes much less an issue. Image

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Update:

After quite a few months of searching, I finally found my unicorn. Will minus the Rubicon option. But I made that sacrifice since this one was such a gem.

2006 Jeep TJ Unlimited
46k original miles
4.0L six speed manual
Maybe the third owner
Basically brand new tinted bestop supertop nx
Immaculate interior
3.5" rubicon express springs
33x10.50x15 bfg all terrains on Ion Alloy wheels
Window tinting
Front seat covers

Was of course not keen on all the chrome tube items, so I yanked those off quickly. Had an old CJ pro comp front bumper, so I threw that on till I can get one I want.

Paint is in much better shape than all the others I have looked at. Rides and drives smooth. Although after checking the tire pressure, someone had these things at 40 psi! Yikes! Dropped to 28 all around. Much nicer ride.

Chrome delete:

Interior:
ImageImageImage

Engine:

Already have a list of items to change/add of course.....

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Very nice, congrats on finally finding one!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ