96 XJ Let me down tonight ...

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Fast79Chief

96 XJ Let me down tonight ...

Post by Fast79Chief »

So here I sit, waiting for a tow truck. Seems the Neutral Safety switch has done me in again. Seems i get around 3 years out of these switches.
Well the mechanic will get it up in the air tomorrow and fix it hopefully.
Here I sit, broken hearted ... thought I was driving home, but only farted.
lol
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

letank

Re: 96 XJ Let me down tonight ...

Post by letank »

aaaaack, sorry about your delay for going home, it seems that at some point we ought to find a way to run those beasts with basic wiring... this is what I had to do last week to move the last project.... battery + to coil and gas can between my legs with a hand pump to get the gas to the carb... this engine was running so well... next step is to get rid of the mouse turds...

btw, the cps is always a suspect after all these years
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

My moms 4.0 has broken down a couple times thanks to the crank shaft position sensor on the top of the transmission. They fail and the ones sold in stores are junk. Was terrivle when it happened too.. all the electrical in the jeep goes haywire. The dash cluster goes insaine the needles go up and down up and down. And the engine predetonates and missfires.

Gatta love electronics

My 5.9 hasnt had that issue yet though but i have had s neutral safety switch go bad. But all it did was cause the reverse lights to not turn on when i backup.

I have spare pcms for both Jeeps because thats another thing that goes bad are the obd2 computers
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

From my experience with the CPS, they do NOT like being oil soaked. Causes premature failure guaranteed. As we all know the 4L engine came off the assembly line with leaking valve covers. Fix the valve cover and buy OEM cps and it will last. I've owned probably 20 jeeps with 4.0s and yet to have a NSS issue. You're right about it doing some crazy stuff when the cps starts to go. Tell tale sign it has failed is the tach wont move when you crank it over.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Rudys78J10

Post by Rudys78J10 »

4.0? Guessing manual? If you pop glove box open to see fuse panel, is the bottom left fuse empty? If so, put in a 15a. Will get you home.