01 xj zone 3” lift install

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
dbx11

01 xj zone 3” lift install

Post by dbx11 »

Lifting a rust belt XJ ....
Almost finished, only broke a front track bar bolt, 4 of 6 rear shock bolts ! Soaked all with PBlaster and still broke em.. found out it’s typical to break the rear upper bolts and they make a fork type device with nuts tack welded on for reinstalling the nuts. If I had a long weekend and the knowledge I have now it could be accomplished in a long weekend!! The zone lift looks good and can’t wait to wheel it.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: 01 xj zone 3” lift install

Post by Stuka »

So happy I don't live in the rust belt. It makes rather easy jobs (like an XJ lift) so much harder. But congrats on getting it done.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
dbx11

Post by dbx11 »

Here it is, just need to button a few last things up and it will be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

Living in Michigan I feel your pain. I've done two or three XJ lifts and every time the shock bolts break and the rear leaf spring bolts are a bear. After the first one I learned to just get out the torch and cut the old leaf springs apart.

The track bar bolts aren't bad but the engineer who developed that lower track bar mount with the nut welded to a tab should have been laughed at since that makes it so much harder.

Sweet looking XJ though and it barely looks like a rust belt XJ.
1970 J4000 / Chevy Frankenstein in progress
Soon to be Lq4 6.0 and 4l80e on 35s

Topic author
dbx11

Post by dbx11 »

Thanks it’s a lot of work. Took the upper mount for the trackbar off since I had to drill a larger hole for the track bar and the castle nut almost made me mad. As for that lower one bolt I used a saws all with a diablo blade and it was off in a few minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
dbx11

Post by dbx11 »

So when lifting An XJ, buy an adjustable trackbar to center the axle And while your in there do the steering upgrade for the drag link/tie rod ends, and oh yeah, the transmission mount is probably bad so that must be changed to quiet down the clunk-clatter from the drive line so you can hear which side wheel bearings are bad.
For an XJ with 126k it runs fine. The zone lift is not too tight or soft it feels like a nice driver, haven’t put too many miles on it just yet still gotta few things to do and then it’ll be ready for summertime.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I have a 3" Zone lift kit here for my 91 XJ 2dr 5 speed. Oh, and all the parts to convert it to 4wd since it is 2wd. Came from California so no rust on this one and being 2wd it is not beat up.....Yet!
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Topic author
dbx11

Post by dbx11 »

Ok small update; rubicon express RE1600 is the trackbar and when you don’t use RE1665 (new frame side bracket)it comes loose....
Don’t think any damage was done just had the the pucker factor going bout 55mph
Got one on the way might put a pic up later When I get it cause it does look all new and clean.