What Do 'Yuse Guys Like to Rebuild Besides FSJ's?

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Kowpie

What Do 'Yuse Guys Like to Rebuild Besides FSJ's?

Post by Kowpie »

Just curious what other projects are out there? I finished my CJ a while ago, then restored an '83 Suzuki LT50 that I bought for my kids back in '85. All three of my kids rode the snot out of it, then the two grandsons rode it hard for years. Before the two granddaughters got it a few years back I restored it. Then, I always loved 3-wheelers so I found this '85 Honda 200s in a dairy farmer's bone pile down the road, got it for $50.00 and brought it home for a resurrection. Gosh, you think early FSJ parts are tough to come by!!! Try getting stuff for those evil 3-wheelers that the government had to protect us from! I sure am glad they have our best interests at heart :roll: Now I'm working on the J truck.
20200615_183228.2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'65 Wagoneer, 230 OHC, IFS, Column Shift T90/D20
'73 J4000, 6000#, 258, T18/D20, 33", full disc.
'79 CJ7, 304, T18/D20, 35", 4.56, SOA, shackle reversal.

will e

Re: What Do 'Yuse Guys Like to Rebuild Besides FSJ's?

Post by will e »

I have a 73 Mustang I have owned for most of my life. It's my second car and I have put a bit of time and energy into it. It would be a lot nicer if I had never got into Jeeping. For the past decade or so the Jeep's been my only hobby (that and backpacking) so it has taken pretty much all of my hobby money...

The mustang.
1973 Convertible. It was repainted back in the early 90's. Paints still in decent shape since it is garage parked.
351 Cleveland with the 4v closed chamber heads. It has a ford 'experimental' Tri power manifold. I picked it up on Ebay at the turn of the century.
Mallory ignition, a built c6 tranny, gear vendors OD and 3.50 gears in the Limited Slip 9". It was 'fast' when I built it but newer cars are much much faster now But with hooker headers and glass packs it has a sound to it that is hard to beat. I also have subframe connectors and some Shelby style traction bars.

I need to spend some time and money on it. I'm mostly done with the Jeep so that won't be as much of a sink hole as it has been. :)

Last edited by will e on Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

bigun

Post by bigun »

Love or have to work on?
I need to investigate the reason why the 440 looses oil pressure when hot, I mean it goes from 60 PSI to zero on a mechanical guage
I need to figure out the fuel problem on the IHC 882 tractor hopefully it's just a filter problem
How many do you want?
91 D-150 Dodge has a fuel/ electronics problem and now the motor seems to be locked up.
Jeepster floor boards repaired, fuel system,brakes front and rear diff replaced (I may just turn it into a 2 wheel drive) Black Bart and I have been on th look out for an automatic transmission to go behind the Odd fire V6 because my knee doesn't do clutches anymore. First I need to get it registered in my name, and that could be some fun.
I would love to do something with the 1952 L-110 IHC just not sure what
Of course I should mention my 1964 F-100 short wide bed high school ride, I haven't been up to look at it in years so no telling what kind of shape it's in
the same with my 67 mustang although I am tempted to sell it to my nephew with the proviso his neither his mom nor his older sister get their hands on it
Do you need more?

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I love all the '50-'80s cars and trucks. Last year I sold my 1984 J10, '80 CJ and my 1968 Torino. I still have a lot of vehicles on my Bucket-list but I also replace my own house roofs [hardest physical work Ive ever done], remodel kitchens and bath rooms.
Im dying to get a '60s Ford with vertical head lights --Comet-Fairlane-Galaxy
Last edited by rocklaurence on Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

will e

Post by will e »

Geeze Bigun, you make me glad I only have space for a few cars.
Rocklaurence, you sold a 68 Torino! Was it the fastback model? And I do love the old fords with the vertical head lights.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

It was a coup w/o the center bar and 302 CID with aircon. I bought it because it had little rust but couldn't invest the time and money because of the horizontal lights.. It was one year too late

will e

Post by will e »

The Torino's are under appreciated. They are a handsome car with good balance.

bigun

Post by bigun »

will e wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:06 am Geeze Bigun, you make me glad I only have space for a few cars.
80 acres!
Just got rid of a 88 F350 dual cab dually rear axle 4x4 460 5 speed manual that has been sitting in the yard for over ten years gave the guy a down payment and drove it home with the idea of using it as a tow rig. As usual life got in the way, Knee will not handle a clutch, BlackBart brought this guy by who wanted a F-350 for a Cummins swap had him go pay off the $750 I owed and he drug it out of here, it does seem a little strange not to see iit in the yard though.
I didn't list "The Great Pumpkin" MH, my 4 Wheel cabover camper, or my 60s 16 foot camp trailer, dad's 68 Chrysler wagons
And of course Crom but he is over at BlackBart's

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

bigun wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:17 pm
will e wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:06 am Geeze Bigun, you make me glad I only have space for a few cars.
80 acres!
Just got rid of a 88 F350 dual cab dually rear axle 4x4 460 5 speed manual that has been sitting in the yard for over ten years gave the guy a down payment and drove it home with the idea of using it as a tow rig. As usual life got in the way, Knee will not handle a clutch, BlackBart brought this guy by who wanted a F-350 for a Cummins swap had him go pay off the $750 I owed and he drug it out of here, it does seem a little strange not to see iit in the yard though.
I didn't list "The Great Pumpkin" MH, my 4 Wheel cabover camper, or my 60s 16 foot camp trailer, dad's 68 Chrysler wagons
And of course Crom but he is over at BlackBart's
Sounds like a great garden, bigun! One day I hope to plant one like it too...some Willys Wagons and Trucks, some J-Trucks, and older Wagoneers, maybe even a couple of old Internationals and 55 F-100 or two as well.
One day, one day, haha.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

will e

Post by will e »

I would be in a world of car trouble if I had 80 acres. ;) In order to have 4 cars (two daily drivers) and two hobby cars (the Jeep and the Mustang) I end up parking either the Jeep or Mustang at my Mom's house. She has a 3 car garage too and I get to use the single side. The down side is I can't work on them when they are at mom's house (I did an oil change on the mustang but I can't do any heavy duty stuff). So the Mustang hasn't received much love. The other problem is when the weather is nice enough to work on the cars, it's nice enough to go wheeling. So I tend to do that. Now it's hot and the idea of this old guy working in a hot garage isn't enticing.

letank

Post by letank »

Ha, Ha, one daughter has the 74 on the side of her home... add 4 running off road motorcycles in a storage container in the freight part of town... 3 adult kids over 30 years of age... life is never dull... As for 80 acres... well 20 would be enough. I would built a barn to house all the projects... ... but with this constant threat of wildfires... I have been holding up on buying land / property where it is affordable and where no AC is needed in the summer... I can deal with cold
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

bigun

Post by bigun »

will e wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:25 am I would be in a world of car trouble if I had 80 acres. ;) In order to have 4 cars (two daily drivers) and two hobby cars (the Jeep and the Mustang) I end up parking either the Jeep or Mustang at my Mom's house. She has a 3 car garage too and I get to use the single side. The down side is I can't work on them when they are at mom's house (I did an oil change on the mustang but I can't do any heavy duty stuff). So the Mustang hasn't received much love. The other problem is when the weather is nice enough to work on the cars, it's nice enough to go wheeling. So I tend to do that. Now it's hot and the idea of this old guy working in a hot garage isn't enticing.
Ahh But see you do have a place to work on them, I don't. One of three things I miss about the house in town is the old three sided equipment shed with grease pit although it was pretty much useless for me since I had to crouch knees on against one wall and back against the other to use it. The other stuff I miss is our garden soil years of rototilling animal manure(Chicken, cow, horse, goat) had turned it into black gold , I also miss the irrigation well.
Moved because the housing project 500 homes on 50 acres had turn into a hell hole cops and EMS, running code day and night, dad decided we needed to get my brothers kids out of there, so they moved out here. I like it I can spot anybody before they get to the house plus they have to come down a 2 mile dirt road to get to the end of the driveway, and the last neighbor and his wife keep an eye on traffic.

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

I have a 1925 REO four door sedan that is missing the rear doors. My plan at some point is to convert the sedan body to a pickup cab by moving the rear panel forward behind the front seat. I will then make an authentic looking box for the rear and place a Speedwagon emblem on the radiator. As far as I know REO did not make a Speedwagon on a light chassis, I hope to fool others with it.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

will e

Post by will e »

threepiece wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:02 pm I have a 1925 REO four door sedan that is missing the rear doors. My plan at some point is to convert the sedan body to a pickup cab by moving the rear panel forward behind the front seat. I will then make an authentic looking box for the rear and place a Speedwagon emblem on the radiator. As far as I know REO did not make a Speedwagon on a light chassis, I hope to fool others with it.
Let's see some pics!

Come on guys, if you're going to talk about other projects you know we love pictures!

letank

Post by letank »

pict... here we go for death valley trip with the DR350

much older In the sierras with the DR400

and Moab with the XR350 , yes solo and not sure about gas use... so I carried some extra gas

and back to FSJ

Michel

will e

Post by will e »

That's what I am talking about Michel. Thanks for sharing!

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

I tried to post a picture of the old Seybold paper shear that I bought from the scrap yard last winter. My J20 is visible in the background. The indication was that the file/image was too large. I should investigation how to reduce it.

The paper shear machine was about 100 years old and weighed 9000 lbs. I removed all of the powertrain from it including several gears on 4” diameter shafts, a 530 lb. cast iron flywheel and a large crank pin on a 4” shaft. My intention is to make a kinetic log splitter but I might instead make a power hammer if I happen to need it more than a splitter at the time.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

letank

Post by letank »

will e wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:02 pm That's what I am talking about Michel. Thanks for sharing!
love your stang, very nice set up
Michel

letank

Post by letank »

threepiece wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:20 pm I tried to post a picture of the old Seybold paper shear that I bought from the scrap yard last winter. My J20 is visible in the background. The indication was that the file/image was too large. I should investigation how to reduce it.

The paper shear machine was about 100 years old and weighed 9000 lbs. I removed all of the powertrain from it including several gears on 4” diameter shafts, a 530 lb. cast iron flywheel and a large crank pin on a 4” shaft. My intention is to make a kinetic log splitter but I might instead make a power hammer if I happen to need it more than a splitter at the time.
you have to use a third party set up... many choices... imgur seems good, I use ggle, but it seems to be too demanding lately

trolling the net

Michel

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

letank, the shear in the picture you posted looks very much like the one I bought. I can see the large diameter gear on the left side, the horizontal shaft supported by three bearings with the crank pin in the middle and the large turnbuckles on each side all look identical to mine. I don’t see the flywheel on this one, mine is about 3.5’ in diameter and weighs over 500 lbs.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.