1997 TJ ABS wiring repair

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
srob3

1997 TJ ABS wiring repair

Post by srob3 »

Mouse I guess chewed up right at the plug by booster. I’m ready to sell the Jeep but have no idea how to repair this? Is there a tool for these plugs? Open to any advice or solution.
Sid
Knoxville, TNImage
1978 J10 in pieces still
1975 Cherokee S

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: 1997 TJ ABS wiring repair

Post by Stuka »

There is a tool for those. One to allow the wires to slide out. Another to crimp on new ends.

To fix this, you basically need to cut off the bad parts, and then crimp on new ends and slide them into the plug. Its a quick job, but you need the tool and the ends. I know those ends are used all over the place across multiple makes, but I do not have their part number handy. But I bet a place like WireCare or something would know, and have the parts and tools.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

sirrus
Vendor

Re: 1997 TJ ABS wiring repair

Post by sirrus »

I don't know the name of that connector, but sometimes you can use something like awl or superthin screwdriver to carefully bend the tang on the terminal and slide it out of connector housing. With some connectors like weatherpack you have to use the special release tool

As for repair, that depends on how much wire there is between chewed up spot and crimped terminal and your soldering skills. If there is enough length (like 0.4 inch) you can cut out chewed up part and solder it together. Then put some thin heat shrink over solder spot and slide terminals back into connector.

So best case you don't any special tools, just an awl and soldering iron.
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy