not fsj related, buy still jeep related

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
the odd one

not fsj related, buy still jeep related

Post by the odd one »

So, my pops has an old 74 CJ5, he has always wanted to get a new motor for it, even though the little straight 6 has been so reliable all these years (still all original motor), he has always wanted to get a v8 for it, and I think I may have sourced a good motor for it, I found an old 351 Windsor for it

If you were my pop a how would you feel getting a 351 Windsor for your jeep?

AwesomeJ10

Re: not fsj related, buy still jeep related

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

If it isn't broke, don't fix it...

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

the odd one wrote:So, my pops has an old 74 CJ5, he has always wanted to get a new motor for it, even though the little straight 6 has been so reliable all these years (still all original motor), he has always wanted to get a v8 for it, and I think I may have sourced a good motor for it, I found an old 351 Windsor for it

If you were my pop a how would you feel getting a 351 Windsor for your jeep?

I suggest you ask this question on the intermediate forum of the early CJ-5 board (intermediates are '72-75 models).

The Ford engine is a pretty easy swap into a CJ, but I'd use an AMC engine, either a 4.0L inline six with the excellent Mopar TBI or an AMC V8. Both of these are easier than the Ford. One frame tower changes for the V8, and the 4.0L basically drops in and will give you a big power boost. Just because you have an engine does not make it a good swap. If you have a 3-speed transmission, it's a T-14 and not strong enough for V8 power IMO. You could upgrade to the T-15 used with the V8s or one of several 4-speed truck transmissions, like the T-18.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I agree with Tim, a 4.0 would wake it up, and you would have the MPGs to run all day. My '74 CJ5 came factory with the 304 and its thirsty. The 4.0 is a VERY reliable engine and he'll get 3-400K out of it. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

CJ5's with V8's are death traps. Even a strong i6 is really too much engine for the short wheelbase and narrow axles. Although that year CJ is more stable than the first gen models.

What do you guys use it for?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Stuka wrote:CJ5's with V8's are death traps. Even a strong i6 is really too much engine for the short wheelbase and narrow axles. Although that year CJ is more stable than the first gen models.

What do you guys use it for?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
Heh. Stuka you have a gift for hyperbole.

True - a V8 is a lot of engine for that chassis. But swappers had been putting small block V8s in CJs for more than a decade before Jeep got around to offering it.

The chassis design is primitive, though the '72-75 is somewhat improved over the original. The design depends a lot on stiff springs and a flexible chassis to give you some flex and acceptable body roll. Do a spring over with soft springs and it will flop.

When I was 20 in 1973, my only car was a '73 CJ-5 with a 304 V8, fully equipped PS/PB every HD option, 4.27 axles. The 304 was strong then and it seemed like a hot rod. And I drove it at California freeway speeds back and forth to work, and all over the SoCal desert and local mountains.

I think it would be fine ... but don't lift it more than an inch or two, and keep the tire size down. A CJ will run 31s with no lift, and you can run 33s with minimal lift. And don't run a hard top! It's amazing how much a hard top changes the handling of a CJ-5. Soft top or topless only!
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

lol, I guess the death trap bit is a bit overboard. It depends what else has been done to it, and engine the engine is a stock 150hp 304, or 350hp SBC.

And admittedly, I have only driven one bone stock CJ, and it was a gutless '82 with 2.73 gears. The others I have driven have been lifted. The V8 ones could lift the front driver side tire off the ground if you launched it from a stop. And that was mostly because they were lifted which makes it easier to do. And a few of them have had lockers in back, which really makes them quirky on the road.

So, yeah it will be fine for cruising around and if not lifted. I just know more than one person that really wanted a V8, put one in, and then did not like how it behaved with the extra power.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I moved this to General Other Jeep Related Chat section. Thanks
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
the odd one

Post by the odd one »

sorry for posting it hear i didnt realize that this place had cj boards

but i will answer a question though first, but thank you for swapping it over

but its not to much of a daily driver, my dad is a trucker, so it doesnt go anywhere very often, but we do go out from time to time and go play or go fishing, but he has always wanted to put a v8 of some sort in it, and nothing to much of a plain jane v8, he has been looking at an old chevy motor out of my grandpas truck, its a 350 with some double hump heads on it with some other goodies hidden inside it, and he always wanted to really turn it into project

because the story behind this jeep is, my grandparents bought it back in 76 i believe and he has owned it ever since, he used to go skiing all winter long in it with his brother who had passed away in 92, this thing has been rolled 3 times, i grew up in that little old jeep, we went camping and sure as hell my dad took us 4 wheeling quite often in it, then things went south for a little while and had to parked for about 12 years, then we rebuilt the motor and got it on the road again for him, and i learned how to drive stick with this old gal, and my dad has been trying to do something with it since, he has lent it to me a couple of time when i had nothing to drive, and he has done so much for me already and the only reason i was thinking this motor would turn it into a fun project is because its some thing different, its something along the lines he was looking for, and i thought it would be a really good idea to take it apart and blue print (balance, fine tune) everything to make sure it was perfect and just surprise him with it

just something to give back to my pops for everything he has done for me over the years

but hey if worse comes to worse with that motor and he doesnt want it, there are to other cars sitting around that can be turned into a fun crazy little projects, either the old Rambler or the Mustang

Regular

Post by Regular »

My CJ had a old rebuilt 304 with a holley and a T15. It ran fantastic. It was fast and I was completely satisfied until it dropped a valve through a piston on an over-rev. I then went hunting for a cheap 360, which is easy to find. I ended up finding a 401 (twice the price) to mate to a T18 I had the shed. The great thing was that I didn't have to drill a hole for the swap. I just fit like factory. I did have the driveshafts adjusted about 1 inch in length. I did have to get a bell housing to fit the T18.

Point is: if you stick with AMC stuff, it bolts in pretty easy. I see nothing wrong with a straight six either. The V8s are very thirsty, but if it's not a daily driver the extra fun is worth it.

I would try to find a cheap 360 to throw in it.
1978 Wagoneer 360 2V/TH400/QT/D44s... z code...{currently building her a 401 like she's supposed to have! :) }
1973 CJ5 401 Holley/T18A/D20/D30/D44, 4" lift, 34"LTBs, swiss cheese body...{awaiting an engine rebuild due to spun main bearing :( }

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

This one has a warmed over 401 and the stock 3 speed. When you dumped the clutch it was all over the road...
It was a lot of fun to drive, but impractical for what I do. and very thirsty.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/