Daily beater almost let me down

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Greenmachine

Daily beater almost let me down

Post by Greenmachine »

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD that I drive my 84 mile round trip to work and home every day. I have the green diesel programer on it and average about 26 miles to the gallon. I pretty much love the thing. It has gobs of power (seat of pants feel is more than my 06 LJ). Drives great and has so far been reliable. I have put in a lift pump in the tank and the program, replaced the rear control arms, oil and filter changes and tires and brakes (normal stuff). It is due a timing belt and water pump in 7,000 and I was going to do the serpentine belt and idler, tensioner pulleys at the same time. Last night I was on my way home and to pick up my 3 month old son and I started hearing a tink, tink, tink sound. It's hard to hear much over the engine and I had the radio turned up too so I am shocked I heard it. Pulled in at my folks house to pick up the boy and popped the hood. About had an eye took out by a piece of belt. Shut it off and got to looking and the idler pulley on the driver side top had aparenty puked it's bearing. It cut a couple ribs off the belt and the belt had flipped over to the other side of the pulley. The tink sound was apparently the belt ribs sticking up hitting something... Would have sucked to had the baby in the car and the belt to have let go after I picked him up and headed home. It was single digits yesterday..
1975 Cherokee S factory 360,t-18, 4" hellcreek, slot mags 33" bfg's, performer intake, and Fitech fuel injection.
1980 J10 304, 5 spd, 4" Superlift, 4.88 Gears, 35" Maxxis Big Horns
1961 fc-150 fishing truck (on hold)

Former Air Cav

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Daily beater almost let me down

Post by Stuka »

I seriously considered a CRD Liberty when we bought my Wifes. But there was so many horror stories with that engine, that I passed. Good to see yours is doing well for you!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Greenmachine

Post by Greenmachine »

They don't have the best reputation but plenty of good ones out there. Mine has 193,xxx on it. I had a 03 vw jetta diesel 5spd before as a daily beater (285,000 when I sold it). Overseas they use the 2.8 in everything so it is weird that here it got a bad rep. Kinda like mazda rotary engines I wonder if some of it was factory techs having no idea how to work on them (owned all three generations of those and a rx8). Had to take the air box off to get the belt around the crank but otherwise uneventful fix.... I would give anything if it was a 6 spd manual.
1975 Cherokee S factory 360,t-18, 4" hellcreek, slot mags 33" bfg's, performer intake, and Fitech fuel injection.
1980 J10 304, 5 spd, 4" Superlift, 4.88 Gears, 35" Maxxis Big Horns
1961 fc-150 fishing truck (on hold)

Former Air Cav

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, RX3/7/8 got bad reps because they were different. Especially the carb'ed versions which were very easily flooded.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ