GW Brake Booster In A CJ?

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
SJTD

GW Brake Booster In A CJ?

Post by SJTD »

Got an '85 CJ with 33's that could use better brakes.

Will the booster and MC from an'84 GW fit in the CJ with a 4.0 head, intake and FI. I think it's a dual diaphragm.

Was going to sell the parts but had this thought. Can't take a look because the parts are here and the Jeep is there. Thought I'd ask before I taking them home with me to check.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: GW Brake Booster In A CJ?

Post by Stuka »

Doubt it will clear the intake. The 4.0 intake hits the booster on FSJs, and they are wider than CJs.

I think you would have to go after market. There are several small diameter dual diaphragm boosters out there. I think willwood has one, among others.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I was afraid of that. What did the Wranglers use for power brakes?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Not to mention the master cylinder reservoir would hit the hood, hard.

Do you have power or manual brakes now? The answer makes a big difference.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Topic author
SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Nonpower.

My quest is mainly to get rid of the GW parts. If it was an easy mod to put them in the CJ I'd keep them. Guess I'll post them in the parts forum.
Sic friatur crustulum

billygoat

Post by billygoat »

I put a single diaphragm booster in a CJ with a 360 in it - no idea what a 4.0L head conversion looks like under the hood.
The thing to remember is the CJ uses a linkage on the booster to drop it down (hood clearence), so the rod on the GW booster was too long, I cut it and put the bolt flat back on in the correct length, I had the measurement because my CJ8 had factory power brakes - the booster was shot, and NO ONE sold replacements