4 inch lift springs in the front, what to do in post mount rear?

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
Nikkormat

4 inch lift springs in the front, what to do in post mount rear?

Post by Nikkormat »

Ok, 4 inch front springs are on there way! Thanks Jerry :-bd

But now this leaves me with the question of what to do in the rear. My 74 Cherokee has a post mount rear so besides lift springs (out of my price range for a post mount rig) I see only 4 options.

#1 Lift blocks and u bolts

#2 Shackle reversal, maybe with longer shackles.

#3 Add a leafs

#4 S10 rear leaves and Shackle reversal as I've asked about before, but then bushings become a problem.

#5 A combination of the above solutions.

The goal here is to be under $150 bucks. I've got all the tools to do the installation at home and a friend who owes me labor for pulling and installing his engine. The front springs are used, and should net me 4-5 inches of lift over what I have now or 3 inches above stock. So in the rear I would like 4 inches above stock so that it will sit level loaded. What's my best option? Are there any more cheap options? Any cheap junkyard solutions?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

68glad

Re: 4 inch lift springs in the front, what to do in post mount rear?

Post by 68glad »

Relocate spring mounts under frame.
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

carnuck

Re: 4 inch lift springs in the front, what to do in post mount rear?

Post by carnuck »

Flip the rear shackle and put angles shims between axle and springs to realign pinion angle.

I lifted my truck in the back with my engine hoist. Undid the shocks and used a prybar to flip the shackle without undoing the spring bolt (missing in this pic). Then I loaded the back of the truck while lowering it to keep the shackles from flipping back before the shocks were bolted back on. If you have a floor anchor, it's even easier to do.

Check my parts for sale near Seattle