Computer Help

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Don S

Computer Help

Post by Don S »

Can anyone explain why the cookies installed in my computer changed. They used to be semi-identifiable like don_s@www.windowsmedia[1] or like don_s@gwamp[1] now they look like this 1P2UZAUD or WM90H551. The old cookies become an e-mail link to my e-mail box and the new style does not. How can I change them back into the old way?
If I dump the cookies I have to re-sign in to most of the sites I’m a member of including this one but not ifsja.org. Is there a way to dump cookies and remain signed in?

Any info would be appreciated.. Thanks.. Don S..

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Computer Help

Post by Stuka »

The name of the cookie is determined by the site that created it, so you do not have any control over it.

You can set your browser to prompt you if you want to save it or not, but that can get pretty aggravating these days as nearly every site has cookies for tracking and such.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Don S

Post by Don S »

Hundreds of sites changed their cookies in one day?

Have a good one.. Don S..

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Yup. Yahoo and MSN did because others were able to read the cookies and see where you had been, so your spam would be aimed towards those cookie info.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
Don S

Post by Don S »

carnuck wrote:Yup. Yahoo and MSN did because others were able to read the cookies and see where you had been, so your spam would be aimed towards those cookie info.
Thanks!
Well I hadn't thought of that. Over the years I didn't get much spam and still don't on two e-mail adresses but I get a ton on hotmail! :x ... I get zero spam on my AT&T site.
BTW... I noticed on one site I am a mod on a lot of people that spam use Yahoo.

Thanks again.. Don S..