mixing spring lifts?

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
Xplitive

mixing spring lifts?

Post by Xplitive »

hello, recently installed front rancho 44044 springs for a 2.5" lift in the front. Outside of using a block to lift, have been trying to find a set of rear springs to complete the suspension lift. Does anyone make a 2.5" rear spring besides the BJ/Alcan offering?
I do plan to tow with the waggy and these trips would be anywhere from dump runs with a small trailer (often) to pulling a car on a trailer (occassionally).
Would putting the 4" BDS (4408) spring on the rear cause problems? I've read people have used them towing. Comparing the specs between the rancho and BDS front spring, they look quite a bit different so I'd be worried using the BDS rear with the rancho front would create a stink bug stance and driveline issues.

Note my question is about the rear but here are the front spring specs in inches I've found (which may be suspect):
Rancho 44044 BDS 4402
eye to eye 43.65 44.5
free height 10.13 looks like 8"
length center - rear 24.88 22.875
length center - front 22.5 25.375

BDS 4408 rear specs out as
eye to eye 53.625
free height 9.625
length cr 31.5
length cf 26.5
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: mixing spring lifts?

Post by rocklaurence »

You could go with a shackle, block combo' and a tow bag setup for approx the same money as a good set of rear springs.

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I was looking into Rancho springs and ran into the same predicament as you... what to do in the rear? The BDS list will give you the stink bug look. You can't compare the free height of front and rear springs because the front is spring under and the rear is spring over. If it were me, I'd call up Alcan(or even BJ's) and get a rear spring pack. If you get it from Alcan, you can get it made to 2.5"

If you want to go a cheaper option, you can get an add a leaf from Rusty's in the rear. It will stiffen up your rear suspension but it will help with towing and it's only $70. If you want to get a full pack, you can do that later on.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-suspe ... -pair.html
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Couple of questions on eye to eye measurements and free height. Essentially, I am trying to find a brand that has a front set that specs out close to the Rancho. I'd then try to buy the rear in hopes of having it be close (ie level).
When comparing springs, should the eye to eye be relatively close? I imagine if not, then the spring bends upon installation giving you a bigger arc or ie lift. However, seems like it would be pretty difficult to install trying to bend a steel spring.

Called rough country to get the specs on their 3" kit with front and rear spring backs. The front seems relatively close to the Rancho with the exception of the free height. the rear has a much bigger eye to eye measurement than the BDS so that has me scratching my head. All of Rough Country have less free height.

Rough Country
(front) / (rear)
eye to eye 44.5" / 58"
Height 7.5" / 7.75"
Center Front 24.6 / 31.5"
Center Rear 23.3 / 26.5

Their shocks in the kit have 9" of travel

if I'm thinking this through correctly, the stock rear is about 55" eye to eye. so when installed, the rear leaf 58" eye to eye puts the extra 3 or so inches of length into an arc and should increase the height . As far as design theory.. hmm.

eeeh, afte a bit of research.. looks like I need to find out how they took the measurement. I asked eye to eye but more than likely its measured along the curve.
Erik

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Trying to determine lift just from those dimensions isn't going to work. You would need the spring rate, weight of truck on the axle, free height and thickness of the spring.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Think what I was really trying to do is find an existing lift that nearly matched the Ranchos to take the rears but there are too many variables in how they are measured and probably built.

ugh..

Does anyone have experience with General Spring KC or Eaton? Or a recommendation for a stock replacement?

Think I am going to try two avenues. Stock replacement style with a block or see if they can assemble one with 2" lift. If the price isn't that much different from Alcan, then I'll wait the 4-6 weeks to have a set built.
Erik

Jeff from Iowa

Post by Jeff from Iowa »

Buy a set of 4 and be done with it.
90 Fsj. 5.3, 4l65,241. 4" lift, Custom valved Bilstien 5125 Shocks, Dakota Digital Dash, Bjs Radiator, Bjs aluminum tank,Viper remote start, power door locks, one touch rear window. Ac, Cruise, tow haul all work as they should. Fully restored oem wheels.

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Jeff from Iowa wrote:Buy a set of 4 and be done with it.
this is good advice. Just for everyone else who could reference this thread here is what I ended up with, excuse listing the prices but I always try to gauge what I should be paying and this may help someone else:

Advanced has two discount codes, TRT30 and TRT41. At the time of the Rancho 44044 purchase I did not know about the TRT41 code and used the TRT30, total cost was $324 shipped for a pair. Rock auto is pretty similarly priced and the TRT41 could have made the purchase even better.

The rear General Spring KC seem to be high quality and ride really nice in the few miles I've logged around the local area (no plates yet). 5160 shot peened and heat treated steel, was the first place that knew what was in it and how made. Ordered on Monday and arrived on Friday. Cost is $550 shipped for me, inlcuding the labor of the extra leaf and installation. it sits nicely with rancho fronts. I think the advantage with General Spring is they can custom build and the price is the same. While he gave me an up to two weeks for my order and 4-6 weeks for a custom set, they were well under that time. As a note, they can build military wrap rears, all the same price. if I knew how to spec out leafs better, I would try them again. There was $40 in u bolts that I'm not counting, I didn't end up needing them and I either gave them wrong dimensions or they bent them wrong. I'll check again and see what happened.

For shocks, I debated across some 9" travel BDS shocks for around $90, 10" Gabriels for about $80, and 8" travel Rancho 9000's for $80 (after TRT41 code) the waggy came with some parts, among them a pair of older Rancho 9000's that seemed to be in good shape and the right length. These were put into service on the rear. Cost N/A. At that point, I realized that everything was a best guess and the only way to have some guarantee in ride and comfort was adjustable shocks. So the Ranchos got the nod. While these aren't as extreme for offroading, the waggy will spend most of its time on the road and thats were I wanted the best manners. The fronts are Rancho 999118 and cost $80 each shipped. It rides and drives great and at the moment am on full soft all around.

After adding everything up, its tough to beat a good 4" kit. it could use another inch or so and best guess is I'll settle out at a 2" lift. I'm running 31 Kumhos AT51 bought through jegs, these priced out at $524 shipped but had a $120 rebate which I'm still waiting on. So final price is $404 shipped. My buddy mounted the tires at the hobby shop for $8 use of the machine, stems were $5 and we had to take them to a local shop for balancing since none of the weights at the hobby shop would fit. The balancing cost was $32 for all 4.

Erik

Jeff from Iowa

Post by Jeff from Iowa »

Alcans are only 550 or 595 a set and that is including new u bolts. They could have made you 2 inch or 4 inch or whatever you spec.

I have 4 inch and my 31.5s rub badly on the rear on off camber on my property.
90 Fsj. 5.3, 4l65,241. 4" lift, Custom valved Bilstien 5125 Shocks, Dakota Digital Dash, Bjs Radiator, Bjs aluminum tank,Viper remote start, power door locks, one touch rear window. Ac, Cruise, tow haul all work as they should. Fully restored oem wheels.

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Jeff from Iowa wrote:Alcans are only 550 or 595 a set and that is including new u bolts. They could have made you 2 inch or 4 inch or whatever you spec.

Did that price include shipping? Granted each location could be different cost, just trying to give people an idea. Are the Alcans military wrap rear? It didn't look like it when I skimmed pictures members posted, just something for people to consider. Again, I think General Spring is definitely a competitor if someone knows how to spec out the leaf spring properly.
Erik

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Your rig looks really good with your lift. FWIW, my rear Alcans were $575 for the rears... I believe. The springs on my Jeep on not military wrap but the springs on my truck are. That being said, it sounds like General Spring has a quality product, is easy to work with and got you your springs in a timely manner. Keep us updated on what you think of them!
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Lumpskie wrote:Your rig looks really good with your lift.
thanks, it's pretty eerie how many times I refer to all the threads you've done to yours for advice!
Erik

Jeff from Iowa

Post by Jeff from Iowa »

Xplitive wrote:
Jeff from Iowa wrote:Alcans are only 550 or 595 a set and that is including new u bolts. They could have made you 2 inch or 4 inch or whatever you spec.

Did that price include shipping? Granted each location could be different cost, just trying to give people an idea. Are the Alcans military wrap rear? It didn't look like it when I skimmed pictures members posted, just something for people to consider. Again, I think General Spring is definitely a competitor if someone knows how to spec out the leaf spring properly.

What are you trying to give people a idea of? How to make a simple job of ordering 4 springs overly complicated? Why? Its not like you got them for half the price, heck you don't even have the lift you actually want if I read all your posts correctly.

Shipping? I don't remember if they are 1200 shipped or not, you could easily call them and ask yourself if you really care. I just ordered them and paid and they showed up soon after.

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

I think you're jumping to conclusions.
Erik

Jeff from Iowa

Post by Jeff from Iowa »

Xplitive wrote:I think you're jumping to conclusions.

possibly, since its damn near impossible to follow your post without taking down notes and adding and subtracting.

But it seems you said general springs were 550 plus 40 in u bolts which equals 590... the same as alcan or more than most any other spring set out there commonly made for wagoneers.

Im still unsure of what point your trying to make? Been following trying to figure out if you found some super secret better riding lift spring.

Ive removed a set of bjs or something springs that were 1000 miles old when I got my wagoneer and installed Alcans and they ride the same. So now Im going considering buying some sky jacker soft ride and see if they ride soft or not or remove a leaf from the front of one of my two sets of front springs. Mine rides rough as he!! on a few roads around my house with expansion joints across the road every 20 feet.

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

oh my gosh, I'm sorry you didn't like my post. Would you like me to edit it for better understanding?

The main take away is that you can get 44044s for a decent price with TRT41; however, finding a rear spring is not that easy. Enter General Spring, a good option in my opinion. And yes, it does ride well, especially with Rancho 9000s - again opinion.
Erik