Jeep talking to Wagonmaster about new Wagoneer

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Jeep talking to Wagonmaster about new Wagoneer

Post by srobertsfsj »

For those of you that Facebook there is a group called "Wagoneers In The Spotlight". The made a post today that I found interesting. I don't know much about Wagonmaster but maybe there is hope for the new GW.

Here is the post:

"Leon & Chip Miller (Wagonmaster) hosted Jeep's Product Planning Team yesterday. Chip put the call out - Jeep's looking for input on the new GW: What original details of the Grand Wagoneer should ALWAYS be kept?"

If you do post on facebook, here is a chance to make your feelings known! :)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wagoneers ... 4821831250
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

jaber
Vendor

Re: Jeep talking to Wagonmaster about new Wagoneer

Post by jaber »

Thanks for the heads up. I have an acct, but dont visit it but once every other week. Just cant get into it like I do these Jeep sites... ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The suggestions in the comments are a bit laughable, but its neat to hear that Jeep cares. In regards to the comments, it would never sell if it had leaf springs. And frames are a thing of the past, uni-frames are far more rigid and a lot lighter. Chances are it will be based on the Grand Cherokee platform, which is an awesome platform. They drive exceptionally well.

Well I would like to see is a grill that resembles a grand wagoneers, a hood with the raised center like an FSJ, have the sides of the body have at least some contour to resemble FSJ's, and small pillars to give the great visibility that FSJ's are known for. Although with todays crash standards that may be hard to do.

But honestly, whatever they do release the average FSJ'er will most likely hate it, and if they do like it, chances are they wont be able to afford it. Grand Wagoneers were one of the most expensive SUV's of their time. A new one will probably cost in the 45-55k range to slot in above the Grand Cherokee. Or roughly double the cost of a '91 Grand Wagoneer when it was new.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

BGW

Post by BGW »

Honestly, I'm kind of a Chryco hater in remission. Their old stuff is awesome, but the past 10 years or so (30 years for their cars) have just sucked. I do have hope for the company under new ownership. I'm peeved that they're using the GW name, but I would actually be okay with it if they make the GW unique. I'm sick of three cars that are exactly the same having different names. I just hope that the new GW has bold, iconic styling, and doesn't look like everything else on the road. Oh, and I really hope they have a new engine to put in it, or they've fixed the problems with the engines in their small pool to pull from.
1991 GWag, 98K, Silver Star Metallic, Cordovan interior

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

BGW wrote:Honestly, I'm kind of a Chryco hater in remission. Their old stuff is awesome, but the past 10 years or so (30 years for their cars) have just sucked. I do have hope for the company under new ownership. I'm peeved that they're using the GW name, but I would actually be okay with it if they make the GW unique. I'm sick of three cars that are exactly the same having different names. I just hope that the new GW has bold, iconic styling, and doesn't look like everything else on the road. Oh, and I really hope they have a new engine to put in it, or they've fixed the problems with the engines in their small pool to pull from.
The Pentastar had some initial issues with the valve guides breaking inside the head, but those have been fixed. Its otherwise a great engine. And I do not have any real issues with the Hemi outside of the fact that its a single cam engine. I much prefer fords Ford approach of using a DOHC, 32 valve setup on their 5.0 V8.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

lindel

Post by lindel »

I would be ok with them keeping some of the FSJ lines intact. The hood, some of the styling points on the sides, etc.

I understand them basing it on the Grand Cherokee platform (aka Durango), but I'd would like for them to "personalize" it a bit and bring back some noticeable Waggie fingerprints.
Lindel

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I am sure Leon has plenty to say about FSJs. Jeep wants in our heads. The J12 at Ouray was no mistake.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Carolinaboy

Post by Carolinaboy »

If Jeep wants to do it right this time they should stuff a diesel in it!
1989 GW 6.2 diesel 700r4/np208/4.30's 4" lift 33's

letank

Post by letank »

Stuka wrote: <snip>
But honestly, whatever they do release the average FSJ'er will most likely hate it, and if they do like it, chances are they wont be able to afford it. <snip>
Ah, Ah, Ah.... so true.... but may be in 10 years we can afford it.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

letank wrote:
Stuka wrote: <snip>
But honestly, whatever they do release the average FSJ'er will most likely hate it, and if they do like it, chances are they wont be able to afford it. <snip>
Ah, Ah, Ah.... so true.... but may be in 10 years we can afford it.

Haha! I said the same thing about the H2 ten years ago. I don't care what people say, I still like them, just hate that I STILL can't afford a 10 year old one!

I'm hoping for solid axles in the new GW or Jeep truck. I know it's pretty much a pipe dream, but still, I hope. With a move to a lower cost of living and possible new career, I might find myself in the market.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Polarfire

Post by Polarfire »

With regards to the one-off show vehicles that we've seen from Jeep (ala the Nukizer, J12 and Mighty FC) I feel that at least some people at Jeep feel the same way as us however, when it comes to the production models I'm still not sure those same people at Jeep have the pull to make what we would like actually happen. What I'm most afraid will happen is just an elongated Grand Cherokee with woodgrain on the sides and a lot of electronic doodads and highend interior and call it a Grand Wagoneer.

Brizio

Post by Brizio »

Hopeful they came out with something good...