double triangulated front

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
huntingman2706217

double triangulated front

Post by huntingman2706217 »

Has anyone done one or seen it done and know it can be fit around the motor?? Im gonna be building 4 links front and rear this winter... i know i can get the rear right but would love to do the same up front... engine clearance is always the issue... thanks!

KJ Ryu

Re: double triangulated front

Post by KJ Ryu »

I keep looking at mine. I think it would require some serious bending to get around everything. I am not sure I need the front linked, though. My plan is to link the rear and try it out for awhile... if oil price ever recovers, that is.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

CODE 5337

Post by CODE 5337 »

What are you going to do with the steering, when it is double triangulated?
Put a little gravel in your travels, take a back road.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I should post pics... but there is a guy here in Colorado running a 3 link with track bar on the front of his J10 on 40's and a D60. Runs and works good.

I dunno why you would want double triangulated??

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

With double triangulated, you don't need a trac bar, which sometimes can be hard to position itself.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Blake wrote:I should post pics... but there is a guy here in Colorado running a 3 link with track bar on the front of his J10 on 40's and a D60. Runs and works good.

I dunno why you would want double triangulated??
I passed it once. Too much traffic to turn around and catch him. Would love to see pics.

I would just run hydraulic steering on mine. Wyoming doesn't inspect but, I would trailer it if going out of town. Stopping has never been a problem, though; thankfully.

I love the idea of 4-linking but, it seems like a whole lot of work for little gain on these trucks. The more I think about it and look at my truck, the more I think that just 4-linking the rear and staying with the SOA front D60 will be plenty for anything I will ever tackle in it.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

A triangulated front suspension with cross-over steering leads to Bump-steer. As the suspension travels the steering link doesn't move in the same axis [or in sync] and the front wheels will pull to the Left when the suspension drops and Right when it compresses. The greater the ravel the more severe the bump-steer. I believe the member here that is running the triangulated front suspension and says that his has minimal BS.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I'm running hyrdo assist and don't think I would have bump steer. I'm really thinking about getting one of those ruffstuff kits, grabbing some fox 3" coil overs and building mine up. I keep breaking front leaves and that is getting pricy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Bump steer has nothing to do with what assist you have. When the suspension compresses the distance between the pitman arm and the attachment point of the drag link decreases. The length of the link does not so it steers right and vicey versy.

A dropped pitman arm will help.

It happens with leaves too if there's no track arm so I wouldn't make my decision based on bump steer.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

SJTD wrote:Bump steer has nothing to do with what assist you have. When the suspension compresses the distance between the pitman arm and the attachment point of the drag link decreases. The length of the link does not so it steers right and vicey versy.

A dropped pitman arm will help.

It happens with leaves too if there's no track arm so I wouldn't make my decision based on bump steer.
Yes, the ideal setup is to have the pit-man arm tie-rod [steering link] length and angle to match the track link. So, that as the suspension travels the axle is pulled left and right at the same rate that the steering link would be. note: the different axis that I was referring to are the up/down axis of the axle vs the axis of the steering link. They are at right angles to each other and definitely affect steering.

CODE 5337

Post by CODE 5337 »

rocklaurence wrote:A triangulated front suspension with cross-over steering leads to Bump-steer. As the suspension travels the steering link doesn't move in the same axis [or in sync] and the front wheels will pull to the Left when the suspension drops and Right when it compresses. The greater the ravel the more severe the bump-steer. I believe the member here that is running the triangulated front suspension and says that his has minimal BS.
100% correct. Which leads to my question posted above.
Put a little gravel in your travels, take a back road.

BigJ200

Post by BigJ200 »

I built a 4 Link front coilover suspension on my J200. It works beautifully with zero bump steer. The reason is that the drag link is parallel with ground (almost). So under normal driving conditions, there is zero perceptible bump steer. I can let off the steering wheel at 50 mph on bumpy terrain with no movement.

If my drag link went up at an angle it could cause bump steer just like a leaf spring setup. And if you think about it, a 4 link is the same as a leaf spring suspension as far as suspension travel is concerned. They both move straight up and down.

American Vintage 4x4
"Where four wheel drives are a way of life"
www.AV4x4.com

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I see the crank pulley being hit by the drag link coming off a dune.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

BigJ200

Post by BigJ200 »

Not even close. Maybe if I jump off a building. :-bd
American Vintage 4x4
www.AV4x4.com

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Photo may be making it look closer, but for SnGs, crank your wheels hard right and hard left to see how it looks.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

BigJ200

Post by BigJ200 »

Yea, it's the photo angle. There's no possible way for it to hit up there. My passenger tire would have to be above my hood. And if that happens, I probably have bigger concerns.
American Vintage 4x4
www.AV4x4.com

orangecherokee

Post by orangecherokee »

I've done it but it's difficult. The lowers are my issue. Going from the outside of the tube you have to pull them to the inside of the frame if possible. I ended up putting them on the bottom of the frame. I split my uppers with the oil pan. Once again, not ideal but it works. The only other way is to put the mounts one the truss webbing after you beef the plate up.

This may sound crazy but I promise it can be done.

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I would love to be able to go to coil over's front and rear. How is it coming along? I know I cant be the only one interested in how you do this. Post up some more pics. :-bd
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition