'72 Wagoneer + other projects

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
FSJunkie

'72 Wagoneer + other projects

Post by FSJunkie »

I recognise alot of names from the now seemingly defunct IFSJA. Looks lik everyone is bailing to this site now.

And to think you could get rid of me that easily! :twisted:

Anyway, for those of you who I am not aquainted with, I'll just cut to the chase and post the pics and story. Since my Jeep has been in my family since it was new off the lot, I have parographs and parographs of stories and taled of its history, but for practicality, I'll stick to the basics and go from there if you wish for me to do so.

1972 Jeep Wagoneer "Custom" special ordered from the factory through Economy Motor Parts in Bishop, California and delivered May 5, 1972 for somewhere around $6400. Nearly every option: 360 V8, automatic transmission, power steering, skid plate group, H78-15 traction tires, air conditioning, HD cooling, HD electrical, custom cloth bucket seat interior, dealer installed oil and amp guages, and a spare tire carrier from Brian's Chuchua's Jeep catalog. Extras I have added include Monroe coil-over shocks making for the equivilent of the HD suspension package and 1 inch of lift. I have also carpeted the cargo area along with other drivability modifications ranging from extra sound and heat insulation to an improved carburetor off a 1984 Grand Wagoneer.

It is neither original nor restored. It is simply maintained. Much of what you see is original, including 90% of the paint, all of the chrome, the entire drivetrain (though rebuilt), and everything in the interior with the front seat fabric and vinyl and the rear seat fabric only exempt. This vehicle did see alot of hard towing and hauling heavy duty use several decades back and sat for a whole decade before I got it, so there has been some restoration work, but it is limited to paint touch ups on the grille areas, rims, etc. and cleaning or polishing the rest. Basically I just repair things as they wear out and need attention.

360 2bbl with a few descrete mods, THM400, Dana 20, Dana 30 closed knuckle front axle, dana 44 in back, both geared 3.31. Close to stock size modern radial tires.

Brand new, winter of 1972-73:

Fall 1978 with family:

Today:

---------------------------------------
My other projects include my parent's 1965 Rambler Ambassador that I care for. This is another car that has been in the family since it was new. Also a fully loaded and special ordered vehicle. This one has undergone a full restoration in our garage:

In the California redwoods, 1969:

Today, post resto:

Yes, that is the same 327 used in Jeeps. It is a Rambler engine dating back to 1956. The difference is this one has a Holley 4bbl and dual exhausts. :P

-------------------------
I have my own Ambassador, a 1973 Brougham. 360 4bbl, TC-727. It was once silvery-gold with a blue brocade interior. I plan on restoring it, adding wire wheels, a dark blue vinyl top, and hopping up the engine slightly. This car goes back four generations in my family. For now, the engine is siezed, but i see potential in this car. I have a weakness for large American automobiles anyway.

Last edited by FSJunkie on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.

j20owner

Re: I'm here, too. '72 Wagoneer

Post by j20owner »

Love the cheese grater on the Wag. The wife's commented "What the F&^( is that!?!?" to the Ambassador.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

rstep

Re: I'm here, too. '72 Wagoneer

Post by rstep »

very nice.glad you are here.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620