Topic preview when hovering the mouse over it?

Area to ask questions or post comments related to this forum.

Topic author
JeepsAndGuns

Topic preview when hovering the mouse over it?

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

This is the first forum I have been on for a very long time that doesnt give a short preview of the thread when you hover the mouse over the title. Is there any way to add this? Or is it already here but turned off? I kinda looked through the user controll panel, but could have overlooked it.
79 Cherokee Cheif. MPFI 401, T18/D20, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
93 YJ. 4.0, 5 Speed, SYE, hydroboost, WJ knuckles/brakes, 8.8 rear, OME 2.5in lift, warn M10000 winch. 31x10.50's
99 WJ limited. 4.0, auto, 2wd, stock.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Topic preview when hovering the mouse over it?

Post by Stuka »

Most big forums run vBulletin, which has that functionality built in. PHPBB does not have it built in. By default it will tell you if there are unread post or not. There is a mod to put that functionality in here, it just makes updating the forum in the future a bit more of a pain.

And *if* this site was to become "The" FSJ forum, then I would quite possibly make the conversion over the vBulletin. But have to wait and see if that comes to pass or not.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

Stuka wrote: And *if* this site was to become "The" FSJ forum, then I would quite possibly make the conversion over the vBulletin. But have to wait and see if that comes to pass or not.
With the new post count doubling whenever the mothership catches a cold,
I'd say the odds are pretty good. Thanks for your work keeping this site up and running. :-bd
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

Topic author
JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

OK, I wasnt for sure. I didnt know if it was a option I had to turn on or if it was built into the forum.

Another thing I just noticed, is there no new post icons/bold text? I just noticed when I came here this morning, all the new posts that were made were not in bold, or had any type of a colored box or anything to show they had new posts in them.

Last thing I noticed is that every time I click on a link, it opens it in the current window, instead of opening it in a new tab. This is the first site I have had do this also.

But like mentioned, thanks for the site, I am in no way bashing it, simply asking noob questions about it. I guess this is the first forum I have been on thats this software. Its laid out differently and takes a little getting used to and learning it.
93 YJ. 4.0, 5 Speed, SYE, hydroboost, WJ knuckles/brakes, 8.8 rear, OME 2.5in lift, warn M10000 winch. 31x10.50's

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Topics with new post, or topics that you have not read at all should be red. While ones that you have red will turn blue. Are you not seeing any post show up in red?

The link opening in the current window is one of the dumber design choices by the PHPBB team. And they have a reason for it, but it is by far the most request change that I see show up. It is possible to mod the forum to do it, but its some pretty heavy changes.
2017 JKU Rubicon

The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

Stuka wrote:And *if* this site was to become "The" FSJ forum, then I would quite possibly make the conversion over the vBulletin. But have to wait and see if that comes to pass or not.
I never get tired of saying this and I hope you never get tired of us telling you...
...Thank you for providing this wonderful place for us 'Mothership' refugees.
Regardless of what make, model, of the forum software you choose to use, this is a most awesome place.
Thank you very much!
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

JeepsAndGuns wrote: Last thing I noticed is that every time I click on a link, it opens it in the current window, instead of opening it in a new tab. This is the first site I have had do this also.
Tap the scroll wheel to open the link in a new tab.
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

If you go to open a link you read before (text color will be darker blue, new posts are pale blue) look for a litle red arrowhead Image which will take you to the newest post. Your best bet is click on "view new posts" (on the "arrow down" pull down tab top right) and open a "main" list of all the pages of new posts right away. This allows you to open them with a right click (chosing option "open in a background" or "new tab")
After about 10 minutes they all get marked as read unless you set it differently in your options (where you can set your browser to open all new links in a new tab too)
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

68glad

Post by 68glad »

Another vote toward the op's topic. It'll come in due time though.
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Topic author
JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

Last night after making that post, I found the button to mark all forums read, and clear all board cookies. I came back today and now I see the new posts in red and older in blue. Before they were all red. Maybe I just hit a glitch?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

JeepsAndGuns wrote:Last night after making that post, I found the button to mark all forums read, and clear all board cookies. I came back today and now I see the new posts in red and older in blue. Before they were all red. Maybe I just hit a glitch?
Well, if you have never read any of them, they will all be red. So I think it was correct.
2017 JKU Rubicon

pyro

Post by pyro »

I vote for donations towards vBulletin!
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Topic author
JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

Ok, came back today and all the posts are still red from when I had last hit the "mark forums read" button. Will I need to hit this button every time before I leave the site?

husker77

Post by husker77 »

If there were new posts in the thread it will be red, also the subforum title will be red if there are any new posts to the threads in that category. I would assume that people posted in the threads while you were away and the forum is showing you that.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

If the threads had new post, they will be red again. If the thread did not have new post, then it should still be blue.

Are you viewing these all from the same computer?
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

Yes, same computer, my home computer.
To be a little more discriptive, yes, I understand threads with new posts will be red. What I mean, is, lets say right now I hit the mark forum read button. I leave and come back tomorrow. All threads with new posts since I was on last will be highlighted red. I get done reading and posting in the threads I want, then leave. I come back tomorrow and all the posts from yesterday and today are still red. The ones I read, but have no new posts are blue, but all the ones I didnt read are still red. Its like the forum is not automaticly clearing (or marking it as read, however its called) when I leave the forums.
Does that make any sense? Right now I am having to manually click the mark forums read button before I leave the site every night.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ok, I think I know what you mean. And I think it is functioning as it should.

Here is the way it works.

The forum tracks any thread you have read. However, it keeps track of the time that you last viewed that thread. If there has been a post after that time, it will mark it as unread, as you have not read the newest post. If you have not read the post, its going to stay red.

If you want to mark them as all read each day, you only have to push a single button to do that, at the bottom of the page, on the left is a "mark all forums read" button.

The way IFSJA worked (Which I actually did not like personally) is if I just went into a forum area, it would then mark those as "seen". Which means if I went in to read a thread, then backed back out, they were not all marked as seen. It did not track if they had actually been read or not.
2017 JKU Rubicon

husker77

Post by husker77 »

There is also a "mark forum read" button under your username at the top of the page also when you are on the main page.

Topic author
JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

Yea I'll just use the mark forum read button each time I leave, since I dont go through and read each and every single thread/post.
On my computer when on ifsja, if I read a thread, it would be marked as read, but the forum itself would not get marked untill I left the site completely for a few min.
I dont have a problem clicking the button each time before I leave. There is one other forum I also have to do this to. So no biggie.