step side long bed

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Hendo2.5

step side long bed

Post by Hendo2.5 »

I know they didn't come from the factory like this but I am wondering if anyone has seen one built. I have a 79 j10 long bed that i am restoring and the bed is pretty trashed. I thought i might try to rebuild it as a step side with the longer box but wanted to see what it might look like first. If anyone has a picture or link i would appreciate it. Also if anyone has an exploded diagram of the step side bed that would be appreciated. Thanks,

derf

Re: step side long bed

Post by derf »

You could look into a bed from an M715 military Jeep truck.

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

good idea. I think i would have more luck building one than finding one. That part of the reason i was asking about the parts diagram for the bed.

mud89

Post by mud89 »

Actually step side long beds did come from the factory for the years 62-67 , gladiators J300 and J3000, same bed length than the later jtrucks but the wheelbase was different from a J20 or a j10 long bed though so it's not a perfect fit
You'll find a parts diagram in this book, section 31, figures are at the beginning
http://oljeep.com/parts_man/62-73_FSJ_P ... g_w_bm.pdf
J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

Thanks! i came across this thread while i was researching.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=137248

I always thought that if I wanted to shorten the frame it had to be done in the center but saw this comment:

"the same frame rails are used for the short and long beds. If you look under the truck, you'll see the holes that mount the springs further forward. The extra length is cut off the ends of the frame rails. All the extra length comes off the rear of the frame rails. Take a close look at the frame and you'll see how they did it.

So, if you change to the '78 short bed length, the frame mods will be fairly easy."

does anyone know if that's true?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Correct, the extra length is at the end of the frame. The wheel base difference is because the spring mounts moved. On a SWB they are farther forward before the frame starts to curve up. On a LWB they mount on the frame after it curves up, and the mounts themselves are at an angle.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

Stuka wrote:Correct, the extra length is at the end of the frame. The wheel base difference is because the spring mounts moved. On a SWB they are farther forward before the frame starts to curve up. On a LWB they mount on the frame after it curves up, and the mounts themselves are at an angle.
Thanks for confirming. I see that the front spring mount on my LWB is at a bit of an angle and wouldnt be if i moved it forward. Would that mess up the suspension geometry?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

You could end up with the front mount being lower. I have not had a LWB and SWB side by side to actually measure the differences.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

I’m just thinking through the process of moving the spring and shock mounts. Im not sure they would survive the removal process well enough to be welded back on properly. I’ve identified the parts on the diagrams but haven’t found anyone online selling them. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks