96 GC limited 5.2 I need front drive shaft help

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
ShagWagon

96 GC limited 5.2 I need front drive shaft help

Post by ShagWagon »

My wife acquired me this jeep and the front drive shaft Is blown up at the front.

It’s a 09/95 so all the wrecking yards are telling me it’s a special. None have one unless it’s ordered from who knows for $125+Shipping

It seems a new one is $500+

I think this rebuild kit for $88 might work https://www.quadratec.com/products/52425_0903.htm but I’m not sure If it’s the right kit, and I’ve never rebuilt one but not afraid to try. And I’m not sure the one on this is the right one or not. It has some wrecking yard markings on it and could be the reason it blew up on the PO.

Or hoping one of you guys knows what I have and has one lying around somewhere in good shape for real cheap or knows where I can get one.

Or can guide me somehow to proceed In a correct manner without spending more than the thing was bought for lol.

Thanks.
Last edited by ShagWagon on Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

letank

Re: 96 GC limited 5.2 I need front drive shaft help

Post by letank »

did you check picknpull dot com, they have a few here in cal, of course it is pick and pull, no shipping
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

letank wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:47 am did you check picknpull dot com, they have a few here in cal, of course it is pick and pull, no shipping
Appearantly it’s a special one made for 1/2 a year so it would be hard to find even in the best wrecking lot. I ended up ordering one for $150 total. Way more than I wanted to pay.

It was beyond rebuilding. So if the one I ordered goes bad I guess I will rebuild it.

I’ve never installed one so I ask for help. Looks like just bolt it in and go I suppose. 30lb on the front bolts and 20lbs tork on the back joint bolts.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

letank

Post by letank »

ShagWagon wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:56 pm
letank wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:47 am did you check picknpull dot com, they have a few here in cal, of course it is pick and pull, no shipping
Appearantly it’s a special one made for 1/2 a year so it would be hard to find even in the best wrecking lot. I ended up ordering one for $150 total. Way more than I wanted to pay.

It was beyond rebuilding. So if the one I ordered goes bad I guess I will rebuild it.

I’ve never installed one so I ask for help. Looks like just bolt it in and go I suppose. 30lb on the front bolts and 20lbs tork on the back joint bolts.
not too sure about the GC, but on FSJ it is always a drag to loosen one bolt because something will be in the way, so you may have to park on a flat spot or choke the wheels and be able to put the TC in neutral to rotate the driveshaft to reach all 4 bolts. Being a new shaft, if balancing, aka vibration are an issue, you can rotate the shaft by half a turn
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

The 96 Zj 5.2s used the 93-95 style quadratrac 249s. The 97-98s used newer updated 249s. If i were a betting man id bet that a 95 drive shaft would work just fine in that .

150$ is overpriced.. you could pull a transfercase and drive shaft for less than that in a pick n pull
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)