Buying new a/c compressor how do i get ALL of the pag oil out ?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Re: Buying new a/c compressor how do i get ALL of the pag oil out ?

Post by candymancan »

How do i get the oil out if the head And case ? I thought you just unscrew the hex bolt on the side/middle of the pump and drain it from there and thats it. Sorry for so many questions. Just wanna do this right
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

You turn the shaft with the inlet and outlet ports open and pointing down so it pumps the oil out. Might not be much oil in there but you never know. Could put a little of your new stuff in there to rinse it out.

If you want to purge the pump, connect both hoses, crack one valve to let some gas in, close it, let it sit for a while to let the gases mix and warm up, crack the fill plug to let most of it out, tighten it, crack a fitting to the head to let the gas out of the cylinder if it didn't leak pas the piston into the case. Repeat as many times as you want then recharge.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well i got my new comoressor.. took my old one off..

Now i know why it seized haha.. 0 fluid came out of it.. and looking inside.. its bone dry..

Sooo im gonna fill my new compressor to capacity from the charts i read online. I believe its about 4.5 oz of mineral oil

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

God damnit man.. figures ones i flush the oil and install it the high and low fittings dont even fit... lol the ones on my jeep are huge and the ones on this are hakf the size for the nuts.. wtf.. it said this was a sanden 508 style and for 89-91 wagoneers.

Whatever.

I even tried te take off the back plate on mine and this ine.. and its a 4-5 piston compressor and mine was like 6-7 or something. I was hoping i could just swap the back plate eith the larger fittings.. but i guess not lol

So annoying.

Has anyone replaced their compressor before ? Whicj one did you get ?? At this point ill buy anything that fits.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well success. My a.c is working now.

I had to buy TWO compressirs.. first ine the fittings were tiny.. not fat 5/8th ends.. the 2nd compressir also supposedky for grand wagoneers was too long.... wtf. It kept hitting my intake manifold

So since theyre both 508s i just swapled the rear head on the shirter one since the longer one had the correct sized fittings.

I hooked the lines up and when i was turning the king valve on the low side to open the system the valve gasket tore... so when i was filling the system up it was leaking slow bubbles and oil out if the valve... god damnit. Thankfully these valves have caps with o rings. I put a new o ring in the cao and screwed the cap on and it stopped the leak. Its dry.. since it was a small bubble leak i think itll be ok.. nothing under great pressure.

I only put two cans.. 24oz.. system takes 32.. i think my sysyem was 100% empty... the air is cold.. but not like ice box box.. and the inspection glass is white with some bubbles. So i think it needs a 3rd can.. but 3 cans is 36oz.. thats 4 oz more thsn the sysyem capacity.. so i think ima stick with 2 cans. 24oz.. and refill with the 3rd when the air is not cild anymore.

Jeep is also running HOT now with the w.c on. Its about 215f now. Is that normal when the oc is on idle in traffic ?