2bbl 2300 series sniper efi

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Srdayflyer

2bbl 2300 series sniper efi

Post by Srdayflyer »

Just bit the bullet on a holly system now just waiting for it to be deluvered
here are the parts needed for a stock 360 with a mild rv cam installed , these were the parts recommended by holley technician tecnical support
they recommend that -6 or 3/8 fuel supply and return lines be used as numerous drivability issues arise especially if a 3/8 return line is not used.

1. sniper kit p/n 550-849K
2. hyper spark distributor p/n 565-308
3. hyper spark coil p/n 556-153
4. hyper spark coil driver p/n 556-150

I modified the fuel sender fuel pickup and return fuel lines
i will post a complete set of pictures when i begin the installation so others will have a better idea of what is involved :👀:

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Re: 2bbl 2300 series sniper efi

Post by Srdayflyer »

Update, have been waiting for shipment from holley to arrive, parts are dribbling in due to back orders ,waiting on sniper coil driver and sniper distributor.
Received sniper kit and coil , and will show modified fuel sender in 2 different fuel tanks, I have 2 fuel tanks that were cracked and cut them open to better fit modified sender the best possible way.the tanks have different internal baffling, so the fit for fuel pic up is different. , stay tuned

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

I didn't know they had come out with a 2 barrel system, cool!
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

started the installation this weekend, started with modification of the fuel sending unit. having spoken to holly tech, and the issues that some have encountered by not having the sniper fuel control returning fuel thru 3/8 id line to the tank.see attached pictures of the modified sender, and what it looks like in the fuel tank, one item of note, there are 2 styles of fuel tanks both look the same on the outside but internally are different in regards to the fuel sump pickup wells. my modified my pickup to be 3/8ths of and inch above the bottom of the tank

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

20211009_123416 (1).jpg
there are 2 styles of fuel tank sumps this shows the improper fuel sender
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

20211009_123400.jpg
20211009_142028.jpg
this is the other style fuel sump
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

20211009_123533.jpg
20211009_131521.jpg

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I didn't know they added that baffle to later years. I ran out of fuel in my '75 multiple times by just driving downhill.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

there are 3 style fuel tanks used in fsj vehicles, the early style has no internal fuel baffle provision, if you are below 1/4 full you may incur fuel starvation when going down steep grades , to my findings these tanks were used up to 73-74,then as shown the high baffle from 74-79/80, then the low baffle from 80 till production stopped. the only sender available i have seen available as shown when installed in a high baffle tank may not show low qty levels as the probe float rides on the baffle, see picture, i want to thank Patrick Curtis FSJ Cherokee driver who supplied me the tank cut ups , to prototype the sender, no useable tanks were cut up support this project ,the attached pictures show the sender drilled to 3/8th"for the new lines and were soldered in place and the sender installed in the tank mockup showing it extended to 3/8th" from the bottom of the tank in the other picture shows how short the sender is without the internal fuel strainer. having removed the fuel tank to install a spring lift kit i replaced the fuel tank vent check valves and fuel strainer only to have to flush the tank to remove broken parts from the above mentioned parts the sniper kit comes with 2 fuel filters 1 10 micron and 1 100 micron external mounted. and that is the primary reason to extend the fuel pickup line to the bottom of the tank, i am now working on the fuel pump installation, if you have any questions send me and e-mail

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

i am posting the fuel pump mount bracket that i made from 1/8 4x5 plate that i am going to rubber isolate from the spare tire cross member to minimize noise and vibration from the cab and the pump,the holley instructions recommend that the pump be mounted near the fuel tank along with the fuel filters the combined length of the pump assembly with the filters as shown in the instructions is 15" long and allows no logical place to put it i will keep thing moving https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/postin ... 51355ef5d1#

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I really like using these housing brackets from 86-90 f150’s if you can find them. Really makes the pump quiet. Unfortunately the only way to get a new one is attached to a new $500 pump :banghead: and the pump is only $50 if you buy it separately :roll:
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

i have the isolators they just arent in the picture, stay tuned

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

having looked at many options to mount the fuel pump to have a solid and protected location away from exhaust heat ,having chosen the cross member where the spare tire mounts. the fuel pump is isolated from the frame using rubber washers between the cross member amd the mounting plate and the attaching bolt and the mounting plate

jfwolverine

Post by jfwolverine »

I posed this question on my own thread but no one has responded so maybe you can help me.

I have the same setup as you and am stuck. For the Hyperspark ignition box: Where did you connect the switched 12v for the Hyperspark? I'm not an electrical guy so I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around how when the key is turned the Hyperspark/Sniper system goes into action?

I had the Sniper on before my rebuild of the engine and it worked fine. Since rebuilding the engine I've also purchased the HS Ignition and Coil. I've followed the directions but for the life of me can't figure out which wire to connect the Sniper and HS ignition box to from the key.

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

I had to trim 2 inches from the fuel tank shroud so that i can run the fuel lines directly streight out from the fuel sender and then connect to formed tubing and the fuel filters, see the attached pics for the before/after shroud trimming.

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

trimmed shroud

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

started to route fuel lines today using 3/8 galvanized exterior/copper plated interior fuel line , there is a 6" rubber fuel line from the fuel sender to the return hard line,secured the hard line to the fueltank shroud

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

continuing with the installation , in-order to accomodate the new 3/8 fuel lines at the fuel qty sender i found that the retaining nut (plastic) interferes with the new fuel lines causing them to chaffe against the cargo floor, to allow more room, i installed the nut ,marked the area where the fuel lines come from outside the tank and trimmed it with a dremmel tool ( about 1/8 inch) this allows proper clearances ,see the completed connections

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

i fabrcated a bracket to support the primary fuel filter secured in place with an adel clamp. on the back side i spot welded a nut so that going forward when changing the fuel filter it is easier to remove the filter,i also used a 3" piece of 5/8 i.d. radiator hose to prevent hose chaffing and insulate that section from heat and used high pressure hose clamps

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

fuel filter to fuel pump is streight forward ,i used anti-sieze compound on all screw thread fastners