Is it worth converting from a York to Sanden?

Area for stock and aftermarket air conditioning.

Topic author
The PIG Smith

Is it worth converting from a York to Sanden?

Post by The PIG Smith »

My 1986 J20 needs an A/C compressor, or least the clutch needs replaced and I do not know the condition of the compressor.
The plan is to replace the entire compressor.
My '86 360 is equipped with a York style compressor.
I understand that the '89 and up Sanden compressors are more efficient and take less power to operate.
I have an AMC V8 Sanden compressor mount, however, I have lost most if not all of the hardware.
I could take steel rod and thread the ends to make my own mounting hardware.

There is no question, that I will be taking my rig to a A/C shop to get the system looked over, repaired, converted and filled with R134a.
I could just replace the York compressor and let the shop to the rest and be done with it.
From what I remember there were goofy adapters from the old school A/C lines to the fittings on the Sanden compressor.
I have an excellent hydraulic hose shop in town and could get new line made with the proper fittings.

My question to the group, is replacing the York with a Sanden worth the effort?
Will the Sanden compressor cool any better than the York?
The AMC 360 gets crappy gas mileage as it is, but would a Sanden compressor ease that any?

My goal is next year to take my J20 on some long distance trips, maybe even do the HotRod PowerTour.
From what I have seen online, the folks on the HotRod PowerTour this year that did not have A/C were really uncomfortable.
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

devildog80

Re: Is it worth converting from a York to Sanden?

Post by devildog80 »

I would imagine either brand compressor will pull 15 or so hp, but have heard some owners just like the Sanden over the York as a personal preference.

Maybe the look under the hood?

Maybe mounting space?

Maybe they have Sanden on other vehicles so can interchange?

I have a York on my '84 GW, and unless the case goes bad, I will keep it and run it.

When it craps out, I will fix it, and probably rebuild it myself if needed. You tube videos DIY!

Just need to bring it up to current freon code when I get to that point.

Like any make/model/size vehicles we all choose to purchase and drive, for our intended uses, each compressor brand is a quality product and will do the job as designed.

Just my $.02
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Sanden's are more efficient. Way less rotating mass, and just a better design.

As to whether its worth converting, not sure. I guess if you have to buy a compressor anyway, and assuming you have the required bracket (they are different), then it may be worthwhile. I bet the sanden is cheaper to buy too, as yorks are becoming less common.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Stuka wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:27 pm Sanden's are more efficient. Way less rotating mass, and just a better design.

As to whether its worth converting, not sure. I guess if you have to buy a compressor anyway, and assuming you have the required bracket (they are different), then it may be worthwhile. I bet the sanden is cheaper to buy too, as yorks are becoming less common.
Stuka is right correct, Saden sd7h (the old sd508 style) is a much better compressor , less torque to start, rarely see one fail, rarely cause a vibration.

to convert a york to sanden you can purchase a mounting plate that bolts to the york mount , comes two ways fixed or adjustable (to tension drive belt), if your hoses need a service valve with 134a fittings those easy to come by in either tube-o or #8 and #10 .
If you need pictures and part # probably can give UAC part #
Cheers, Ed