Saving Luther a 78 J10 Golden Eagle

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

akguy09

Re: Saving Luther a 78 J10 Golden Eagle

Post by akguy09 »

Collectors plates in CO has no impact on my insurance
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
rangrbob

Post by rangrbob »

Here are a few more progress pictures of the body work my painter sent me. Lots of wet sanding and another primer coat. The parts are getting closer to the color stage. :)
IMG_3908a.jpg
IMG_3909a.jpg
IMG_3911a.jpg
IMG_3912a.jpg
IMG_3914a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
rangrbob

Post by rangrbob »

Paint progress (CONT)
IMG_3915a.jpg
IMG_3916a.jpg
IMG_3917a.jpg
IMG_3918a.jpg
IMG_3919a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
rangrbob

Post by rangrbob »

Picked up the front bumper from the chrome shop a few weeks back. They turned out very nice.
IMG_0320a.jpg
IMG_1296a.jpg
IMG_1298a.jpg

Topic author
rangrbob

Post by rangrbob »

I also cleaned up a couple gauge clusters. It took some work to get them nice and straight. A heat gun, flat stock steel, and some clamps did the trick. For the chrome surround, I decided to use adhesive backed 1/4" chrome auto trim. The truck came with the engine turned version, but I'm torn on which version to use.
IMG_0706a.jpg
IMG_0702a.jpg
IMG_0703a.jpg
IMG_0708a.jpg
IMG_0707a.jpg

Topic author
rangrbob

Post by rangrbob »

Today, I continued working on my rear bumper, and installed some 3M non-slip tape.
IMG_1533a.jpg
IMG_1535a.jpg

Topic author
rangrbob

Post by rangrbob »

Not much progress. I've run out of things to do while waiting for the body to get back from paint. I did clean up and paint the J10 emblems though, and started work on my headliner.
IMG_1590a.jpg
IMG_1597a.jpg
For the headliner, I used a wire brush to remove the old flaking paint and vacuumed it, then used SEM vinyl dye to match the new interior. It's too bad that there is some damage from what must have been a gun rack that was installed at some point. I do have an idea on how to make it look better though.
IMG_1582a.jpg
IMG_1584a.jpg
IMG_1586a.jpg

Mopar_guy

Post by Mopar_guy »

If that's vinyl on the headliner, ask the detail guys at new/used car dealers around you for a place that does their interior repairs. It's usually a guy with a van that goes around to different places. They're pretty good at fixing stuff like that.
83 Cherokee Laredo

Topic author
rangrbob

Post by rangrbob »

Mopar_guy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:37 am If that's vinyl on the headliner, ask the detail guys at new/used car dealers around you for a place that does their interior repairs. It's usually a guy with a van that goes around to different places. They're pretty good at fixing stuff like that.
Thanks. There is a local Fibernew guy I’ve contacted before. The headliner is a pressed cardboard, so I’m not sure if he can do much, but it's worth asking.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I've re-furbished 3 truck headliners and had good success using Fiberglass resin to seal and harden the cardboard. Then using the vinyl paint like you did. Ive also been able to patch the areas in the corners with new board before laminating everything with the resin. However, the last one I did was sooo crispy from age and heat that after sealing and patching it it cracked in several places during re-installation. I started a video on it but have posted it yet.

SOLSAKS

Post by SOLSAKS »

great build with great work.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

When we did the custom headliner for mine, we used a brush to get all the old glue and foam off, and then took some fabric and headliner adhesive (can be found at most auto parts stores), and glued it directly to the boards this time. Then we cut out the holes we wanted in the fabric.

Also, on the gauge cluster faces--if you haven't decided already, I'd go with the black bezel over the chrome one, personally.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
rangrbob

Post by rangrbob »

This is the inspiration for my restoration. I found this picture on the web.
78GEa.jpg
Yesterday, I added a couple little flush mount vents on the headliner to cover up the damaged areas, and had the idea to add some led lights behind them. Although, I may change my mind and cover the second one I have with some tan headliner material from Joann fabric.
IMG_1621a.jpg
IMG_1622a.jpg
IMG_1626a.jpg

Mopar_guy

Post by Mopar_guy »

Good idea! Looks good.
83 Cherokee Laredo

Topic author
rangrbob

Post by rangrbob »

sierrablue wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:12 pm When we did the custom headliner for mine, we used a brush to get all the old glue and foam off, and then took some fabric and headliner adhesive (can be found at most auto parts stores), and glued it directly to the boards this time. Then we cut out the holes we wanted in the fabric.

Also, on the gauge cluster faces--if you haven't decided already, I'd go with the black bezel over the chrome one, personally.
SOLSAKS wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:31 pm great build with great work.
Thanks SOLKAS. This build kind of snowballed into a much bigger project than I wanted, but I think it’s coming along nicely.

Sierrablue,

Even though the truck came with the engine turned bezel, I’m leaning towards the black one.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

It does look really good!

Please tell me that you're going to have the black accents on your razor grille. It always bugs me when they refinish them and then don't bother to repaint it. I won't hate you or the truck if you don't, but it always bothers me a lot
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
rangrbob

Post by rangrbob »

sierrablue wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:34 pm It does look really good!

Please tell me that you're going to have the black accents on your razor grille. It always bugs me when they refinish them and then don't bother to repaint it. I won't hate you or the truck if you don't, but it always bothers me a lot
I absolutely do plan on repainting the accents on the grill as it came originally.

Topic author
rangrbob

Post by rangrbob »

Today I was finally able to get back into this thread. :) I've been documenting the build over on IFSJA too.

https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-kic ... lden-eagle

I'm going to jump ahead to the truck's current state instead of trying to post a years worth of updates. Luther is getting very close to being finished. The truck still needs the graphics and a few other things before I can put a fork in it, and call this project complete. You can follow the link above to see what's been going on if you want.
IMG_2885a.jpg
IMG_2886a.jpg
IMG_2889a.jpg

Topic author
rangrbob

Post by rangrbob »

One current project is that I've been fabricating a spare tire mount for the bed.
IMG_2929a.jpg
IMG_2930a.jpg
IMG_2932a.jpg
IMG_2933a.jpg
IMG_2952a.jpg

Topic author
rangrbob

Post by rangrbob »

A few more pictures of the tire mount.
IMG_2944a.jpg
This will be a locking bar to deter theft. It will be lockable.
IMG_2945a.jpg
IMG_2947a.jpg
What it will look like with tire mounted. It does sit straight once the lug nuts are tight.
IMG_2935a.jpg