Wing window - broken door structure between door skins

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
gte636p

Wing window - broken door structure between door skins

Post by gte636p »

Hopefully the tile makes a little sense? I've tried searching, but my terms seem to be wrong.

I'm in the process of replacing the door seals and want to replace the wing windows. Unfortunately, the metal tabs that set the width of the window channel are broken on all 4 doors I have access to where the tab meets the outer door skin. The easy solution would be to weld the tabs back together, but I'm pretty certain I'd blow through the sheet metal. Has anyone fixed this differently?

Would some metal bent to the same shape and some panel adhesive get the job done as well??

Links to threads I couldn't find would be appreciated as well.
Just a few jeeps ranging from '41 to '18.

Theodore

Re: Wing window - broken door structure between door skins

Post by Theodore »

Subscribing - am in the research phase heading toward vent window seal replacement this spring. Vent window division bar seal is damaged on our 90 GW.
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

thej10guy

Post by thej10guy »

I’m not entirely sure what I would do in your situation. I would assume bending up a new piece and then using panel bonding adhesive would work but I’m not 100% sure. The struggle would be clamping the piece so it cures. It would be doable though. I think that is what I would do if I were in your position but that is just me. Interested to see what others say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1983 Jeep J10 Honcho SWB 5.3 4l60E NP241C viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22361
1979 Jeep J10 LWB (project/parts truck)
1989 GMC Jimmy (project)
Jeep Lover for life :fsj:

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

This issue is common and is caused by the strap for slamming the door shut. I remove my door straps to prevent this from happening. I repaired mine by welding them over. I dont think a strap and epoxy will work.

runuover86gw

Post by runuover86gw »

rocklaurence wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:29 am This issue is common and is caused by the strap for slamming the door shut. I remove my door straps to prevent this from happening. I repaired mine by welding them over. I dont think a strap and epoxy will work.
Are you talking about the interior door handle straps? I just want to make sure I am understanding you properly. I have my GW torn apart right now and I want to do as much preventative type work on while it is at this stage to make the work last as long as I can. I am all about preventative work instead of reactive work.
Josh's Classic Custom Auto Electronics LLC, Owner/Founder
https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits
1986 GW 360/NP229/TF727/Dana 44's
1986 Comanche
1979 Wagoneer Limited 360/Quadra-Trac/Turbo 400/Dana 44's

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yes, exactly. Those straps have very little support and it stresses the sheet metal between the inner/outer skin. I use the arm rest exclusively to pull the door closed

letank

Post by letank »

As noted by Rocklaurence, the strap was removed on the latter years, confirming that the strap was doing some damage.

Or Chryco decided to save 4 straps, beauty caps and screws to speed up the chain!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
gte636p

Post by gte636p »

So, welding it is. Do you provide some extra material to bulk it up or just back with copper and tack away?

My problem area is right at the exterior door skin. The jeep was painted right before I got it, so there's not much room for error.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

It is thin in that area. I used .025 wire with gas. I had to repaint the inner door sill and both my doors were torn at the cross-over brace and a few inches back-two tears.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

i replaced my wing window seals a few months ago if you sent me some pics i could assess what you have and can give you better alternatives for repair and replacement, the tabs being mentioned were broken on the drivers side, the most used door in the waggy, it was found to be the major source of my door rattle, had to weld and finish grind, if welding is required using a mig or tig welder is recommended as as little heat is transferred to the area , along with a heat sink (wet towel) around the surrounding area to prevent paint damage , the new seal covered the repair without noticing the repair

Topic author
gte636p

Post by gte636p »

I'm moving REALLY slow on this project and still haven't done anything to address the doors.

Just finished putting the lift on, it only took about a year or so. The windows may get more attention around Thanksgiving??

It's really sad, so many other projects cut in line and this one sits.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

my drivers side straps were completely broken passener side only partially cracked after i removed the window tracks nd vent window removed, i used my mig welder set on spot welding so not to burn thru,warping, and minimum grinding , if not repaired the door rattles, and vent window and door windor have lots of play