Educate me - youtube and tv shows

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
kjandb

Educate me - youtube and tv shows

Post by kjandb »

I'm completely green to anything automotive repair. I know...great idea to start with a fsj.

Got a few good buddies who have helped me with the basics. And of course this forum has been invaluable.

What sources should I be using to learn more? I subscribed to motortrend and am almost all the way through roadkill garage and roadkill, those seem to be the most educational.

Spent a lot of time on youtube with anything fsj related.

What else would you suggest? Any shows, channels, or even books I'm missing out on?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

'71 Wagoneer - 4" BJ's Leaf Lift - early 360 - Avocado Mist ???
S Idaho

sierrablue

Re: Educate me - youtube and tv shows

Post by sierrablue »

While I don't suggest that you build effectively tanks like they do, Fab Rats and Matt's Off-Road Recovery have some good stuff, as does Trail Mater. Fab Rats is going to give you more technical knowledge than the other two, but they all have their moments. Trail Mater's stuff is the most stock of these guys.

If you want the basics, and a decent understanding of basic car stuff (not 4x4 and modified), Hagerty has some really good stuff.

I've been trying to get away from watching the car stuff on YouTube so much just because there's more to me than that, and they burn a ton of gas for no real reason. It's one thing to have an older daily driver and to drive it, but I just can't get behind burning hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of gas a week just to prove that you can crawl up a specific rock. That's just me personally--I'm not saying they're bad people I'm merely saying that I don't understand.

I knew some about cars, but when I got to be 15 and working on getting a daily driver ready for when I got my license (conveniently from a time perspective, it was 2020 so I had TONS of spare time), I would read these FSJ forums for hours, and research all kinds of different mods and such. I also got a lot of info from my dad, and when I replace broken stuff, I usually end up taking it apart, so I understand how it all goes together.

The '71 and doing a bunch of research on what I'm working on/what to upgrade to on the '71 has probably been the most educational for me. It's a little bit complicated, but since it's still got a carb, and everything's mechanical, and there aren't plastic covers everywhere, it's a lot easier to work on and learn from. First hand experience, with the guidance of someone who already understands it (or a factory service manual) is the best way to get better at it IMO. Ask lots of questions (yes people get annoyed, although more frequently they just ignore you in my experience), do your own work on the Jeep.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Do you have the factory service manual (TSM/FSM)?

If you want to learn about cars generally, I'd suggest a text book for automotive tech. https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Techn ... 1428311491 Don't buy the current edition - instead look for older (obsolete!) textbooks at used book stores and online. Alibris has plenty of obsolete textbooks for just a few dollars.

https://www.alibris.com/Modern-Automoti ... atches=119 Sort by price.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

kjandb wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:47 pm I'm completely green to anything automotive repair. I know...great idea to start with a fsj.

Got a few good buddies who have helped me with the basics. And of course this forum has been invaluable.

What sources should I be using to learn more? I subscribed to motortrend and am almost all the way through roadkill garage and roadkill, those seem to be the most educational.

Spent a lot of time on youtube with anything fsj related.

What else would you suggest? Any shows, channels, or even books I'm missing out on?

Engine Masters is great for engine theory and such on motortrend.

YouTube is the better choice for How-To though, or just more details on repairs.

Few channels I like on YouTube:
  • Flying Sparks Garage
  • Hagerty Channel. Specifically Stay Tuned (Tony from HotRod Garage) and Will it Run.
  • Sarah-n-tuned. She is very detail oriented and was done some great builds
  • The Dirthead Shed. This is Dave from Dirt Everyday (Which has been canceled :( )
  • Dirt Lifestyle. Nate builds some great rigs. And he also goes into the "why" some things should be done a certain way
  • As noted above, Fab Rats and Matt's Offroad are fun channels to watch. Along with Trail Mater
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Wherever you are located, perhaps on your drives around your area, look for others working on similar projects like yours, and stop by.

Some are a little cautious, and will be a little stand offish, but others will gladly hand you a wrench and guide you through busting your knuckles, towards getting you educated on what to do and why.

Hands on is the best experience for me.

Myself, I am in AZ, far east PHX Metro valley area by Superstition Mountains, and you are welcome to come by and tinker when I am working on my rig.

I do not have a large toolbox stuffed with nice name brand tools, or a big clean shop to work in, but the 4 or 5 tool boxes I do have, and the tools I use, I get done what I need to do, out in my driveway and garage when needed.

Lots of variety on things to do, some of it technical, electrical, basic grunt work, paint & body, and mechanical.

I am by no means a master mechanic, and rely on others on this and other forums for advice, and some you tube, but grew up turning wrenches on family farm/ranch, so basic tool knowledge is good.

If your in my neck of the woods, PM me and we can get together. and certain we will learn things from each other to help on our own projects.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Kowpie

Post by Kowpie »

First of all, good choice to start working on! You will learn about GM, Ford, AMC, and Mopar all wrapped up in a neat package. All references above are great sources of information. The technical service manual has been a life saver, get one of those, this is a must have. I'm old school and have to have paper in my hands so I found an original, tattered, greasy copy of one on flea bay. Additionally, I have used a book by Moses Ludel that is for CJ's but almost all of the drive train stuff applies, I have used it almost as much as the TSM. It is called Jeep CJ Rebuilders Manual. A couple of the utube channels I like are Restored and Vice Grip Garage. These guys are super simple and revive the worst of the worst but do it in a simple manner and explain what is is they do. Like Devil Dog above, I'm in southern Oregon. Stop by anytime you are on your way south on Interstate 5. Jeep folks love to talk Jeeps! But most of all, you are on the right forum. Good folks here. Ask questions!
TSM.jpg
Moses.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'65 Wagoneer, 230 OHC, IFS, Column Shift T90/D20
'73 J4000, 6000#, 258, T18/D20, 33", full disc.
'79 CJ7, 304, T18/D20, 35", 4.56, SOA, shackle reversal.

Theodore

Post by Theodore »

A few add’l I’ve used:

- BleepinJeep - many of Matt’s early videos are how-to’s on a myriad of Jeeps that can be translated to FSJs
- OldIronOffroad - has a great TBI installation video on a Scout
- Dr Bobs Last Chance Garage - FSJ doors/windows- etc.
- BJs Off-road - has quite a few FSJ how-to’s
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

Topic author
kjandb

Post by kjandb »

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

My YouTube watchlist is now full and I ordered the automotive tech book.

The Ludel book looks great but I might wait to find one on ebay for a better deal - around $50 now.

And luckily my '71 came with a pristine grease free TSM. At first the PO didn't include it in the sale but pulled it out after realizing my skill level and felt bad for me

S Idaho

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If you want cheap, try brick and mortar used book stores. Or the swap meet. You won't find the exact title you want, but you may find books that will help you. Also your local public library.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

YouTube is a great resource.

I like watching "will it run" style videos. This content basically consists of trouble shooting an old car and getting it running, which is what most of us shade tree mechanics spend our time doing.

NoNonsenseKnowHow has a great channel. Very educational on VEHICLE PARTS AND SYSTEMS. Important because it can save you a ton of money knowing how a system works and repairing it v.s. replacing more than necessary.

Take a starter for example. You can buy a replacement for $200, but what if the cause of a stuck starter is just corrosion on the Bendix? With a little foundational knowledge, you can repair it for cheap.

Anyways, getting off my soap box. I have only recently gotten into this point in my mechanics journey.

As TGreese mentioned, the TSM is a great vehicle specific resource.

I also buy literature off Amazon from time to time relating to specific automotive topics. This method is a little costly, but you can really nerd out some awesome learning material.

Reading levels range from Automotive Repair For Dummies to How to Rebuild GM LS-Series Engines.

David Vizard has some awesome books on horsepower building and performance theory.

Good luck, and kudos for pursuing knowledge!

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist

Topic author
kjandb

Post by kjandb »

Ask and you shall receive!

Local FSJ enthusiast put this on Craigslist for "free to a good home". A lot of good Jeep folks out there willing to help...feeling very grateful. I assured him I'd "pay it forward" when I was done with it.

I am curious now what type of literature jeep put out. I have the 1967-1971 service manual which has been helpful, but this new 1972 seems to be much more detailed with way better pictures. I just got it a few hours ago, so I could be wrong. Is there a single year TSM from 72 and on?

ImageImage

Sent using Tapatalk

S Idaho

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The TSMs get much better as the years go by. The '82 TSM is more than three times the pages of the '72 TSM. The Kaiser-era TSMs seem to not change much from the '62 FSJ introduction, and are rather poor IMO. It seems clear that AMC had a punchlist of things to upgrade for Jeep, and the '72 TSM is the first fully-revised TSM under AMC leadership.

Jeep recycles illustrations a lot in these years, so don't be put off if the drawing in the TSM differs somewhat from what you see. The concept should be the same, even if it differs in detail. Also, these books were written for the Service Managers and Mechanics (now Technicians) at the dealerships, and they assume a level of understanding. They won't teach you stuff these dealership readers were expected to know already.

The '72 TSM should help you a lot with a '71, since the '71-72-73 Wagoneers are basically unchanged. These are all pretty much the late Kaiser Wagoneer with AMC V8 engines. Big changes came for the CJ and Commando in '72, but not for the FSJs. The '72 TSM has unique wiring diagrams with line drawings of the actual harness which you may or may not find helpful. Certainly better than the poor wiring schematic from the Kaiser years. In '73, they went back to the traditional schematic diagram, likely in response to feedback from the '72 revision. '73 was the first year for the GM column in FSJs, which affects the wiring diagram some; also first year for optional Quadratrac.

Most years under AMC get an all-new TSM, specifically for that year. Look on the Tom Collins site and you'll find the '74, '76, '77, '78 and '79 TSMs. The pace of change slowed in the '80s; I think that '83 was the first year for a supplement to the '82 manual, and not an all-new book. IIRC there is an '84-87ish book? and one more after that? Look at BJ's if you are curious; they have all the TSMs for sale as paper copy.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

As TIm said, the latter TSM have fixed some of the typos from the prior editions and also but not the least made some debugging a lot better to diagnose faults and issues with our dinosaurs.

The paper edition of the 78 (3 volumes) is much better than the paper edition for the 74 (1 volume)

And as usual, search from your browser with the proper keywords will get you a lot of goodies.

Also do not forget to save the search result(s) or the webpage on your computer, some websites disappear and a lot of good pictures are gone... the internet archives website save some, in the way back machine!

https://web.archive.org/

it is a lot more with radio, TV, books....

https://archive.org/about/
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)