Craftsman warranty

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
candymancan

Craftsman warranty

Post by candymancan »

Anyone else try to exchange tools for the lifetime warranty. I jist turned in a 1.2 inch. 3/8 ratchet made in usa old ones but they just dont hold the ratchet anymore.

And also another 3/8 and two 1/4 ratchets.. and a 6 inch philips screw driver. Same issue they dont hold the ratchet anymore

They didnt give TOO much trouble in lowes.. but funny enough they wanted receipts for 3 of them lol. Like i can pull out a receipt from 15+ years ago hah.

So they gave me those socket wrenchs.. and said they will deal with it. With their craftsman distributor.

In ace hardware though my beam style torque wrenchs they aparently wont exchange.. ajd craftsman told me to kick rocks.. funny

I wonder if anyone has sued them yet for not honoring the lifetime warranty.

Have you guys had issues doing exchanges ?

I managed get a 72 and 120 tooth 3/8 and 1/4 drive too each i mean.. they didnt care. As long as they matched the size.

The new wrenchs dont feel as heavy duty as my old ones.. id like to have kept the old ones. But the tab to switch rotation didnt hold anymore.. and they didnt ratchet very well either.. just spinning in circle unless i angled them
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

sierrablue

Re: Craftsman warranty

Post by sierrablue »

My dad hd that with his 1/4" ratchet. Brought it into Ace and they were like "Well they don't make that model anymore--you'll have to go through Craftsman directly." No receipts or anything but he went through Craftsman and they gave him a new one. Exactly the same as the new ones Ace has, but had to wait another week and a half, meanwhile it's useless 🙄

Probably doesn't matter if they're made cheaper--they still have to replace it for free when you break it/wear it out.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

runuover86gw

Post by runuover86gw »

I am pretty sure the torque wrenches only have a 1 year limited warranty. At least that is what I recall from my time in the Air Force. A large part of my career I was working in metrology and that was one of the many items we calibrated. And part of that was keeping an eye on warranties and anything like that for test measurement equipment.

On a side note, I have had issues with some of the newer craftsman ratchets also. I have a set of the sockets and ratchets that have the center portion opened, can't remember the technical term off the top of my head. But I have had the 1/4" ratchet go out on me twice now.
Josh's Classic Custom Auto Electronics LLC, Owner/Founder
https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits
1986 GW 360/NP229/TF727/Dana 44's
1986 Comanche
1979 Wagoneer Limited 360/Quadra-Trac/Turbo 400/Dana 44's

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Ya i had afeeling the new ones would suck . Two of those i turned in. A 1.4 and 3.8 were newerish within the last 6 years and they stopped holding/ratcheting. Just spin unless i angle it.

But even those old school ones were doing that too.

So at least i have working ones now i guess.. Do you know how frustrating it was doing my rear main seal and valve covers and exhaust manifold with ratchets that didnt work.. very

I have the receipt for the new ones.. if these go bad ill exchange em again. Its interesting you say your 1.4 inch went out twice.. i too turned in two newerish 1.4 ratchets.. both stopped holding and ratcheting.

I did kinda sneak my way to the 72 and 120 tooth ratchets though.. all lowes cared about was if they were 3.8 or 1.4 or 1.2. Not the tooth count. So itll be interesting to see how these 1.4 and 3.8 120 tooth ratchets work.

I do already miss my old school ones though.. they more solid.. heavy.. and i liked how they didnt shine with that slippery chrome vanadium coating new wrenchs have

letank

Post by letank »

my 40ish year old snap on 3/8 ratchet bit the dust... I always miss the truck! I suspect that the ball has lost some of its roundness... it works on the light duty, but skip when you reach higher torque
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea my craftsman would only (torque tur if i angled it.. And the flipper on some. Where you change directions.. would not hold and allow it to jist spin.. id have to hold that with my thumb for the wrench to tighten or losen bolts. Was annoying

So far these new craftsman wrenchs are working great.. Used 4 of em today . SOOO we will see on longetivity.

My really old craftsman that i turned in. Were from the 70-80s and they actually had grease fittings on them lol..

Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

I had made in USA craftsman screw driver that I used as general poker / pry bar / screw driver / paint key etc.
Held up well to many years of abuse. Unfortunatley it met it's untimely demise after using it to try and punch a spare tire lock with an 8 pound sledge lol.

I called Craftsman and they had me fill out a warranty claim. Sent me a made in China replacement, which is what I expected.

Broke the first day I used it. (Was using it to bend back a piece of rusted sheet metal)

Didn't bother getting a replacement, but they seem to stand behind their hand tools.

My dad got me a Craftsman torque wrench for Christmas. Only time will tell if it holds up or not, but seems to do alright.
1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist