Best Jeep XJ forum?

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Johnzi10

Best Jeep XJ forum?

Post by Johnzi10 »

Trusting the Jeep community to point me in the right direction. Mostly want stock tech. Thanks!
2020 Cherokee Limited v6. Wife’s Jeep
2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo Daughters Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee “the Ghost”
1989 Grand Wagoneer my Covid mental health medicine

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Best Jeep XJ forum?

Post by Stuka »

Back when I owned an XJ, I used NAXJ for all my XJ needs.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Stuka wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:41 pm Back when I owned an XJ, I used NAXJ for all my XJ needs.
That is were I go.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Still use Naxja for all my XJ/MJ needs, watch some of those guys though. A bunch are good but there's alot of hacks on there that don't know BEEP
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Anvil-3

Post by Anvil-3 »

NAXJA is still full of great info. Activity definitely slowed down especially on local chapters over the past few years. Still would be my go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Grand Wagoneer - under the knife

gte636p

Post by gte636p »

Stuka wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:41 pm Back when I owned an XJ, I used NAXJ for all my XJ needs.
We were supposed to get rid of our XJ's?
Just a few jeeps ranging from '41 to '18.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

gte636p wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:33 pm
We were supposed to get rid of our XJ's?
Admittedly, I miss it. But it wasn't reliable enough for my wife to go to work every day. But I would not object to having another.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

My 98 XJ will not die! 2” lift, stock select trac with ABS, rare bird! Hate the electric gremlins though.(locks,dash,speakers,etc)
2020 Cherokee Limited v6. Wife’s Jeep
2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo Daughters Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee “the Ghost”
1989 Grand Wagoneer my Covid mental health medicine

Anvil-3

Post by Anvil-3 »

Johnzi10 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:09 pm My 98 XJ will not die! 2” lift, stock select trac with ABS, rare bird! Hate the electric gremlins though.(locks,dash,speakers,etc)
my old 2000 had the same issues, flopped it once on a trail and it fixed everything, just had to push out a dent or two. Highly recommend
1989 Grand Wagoneer - under the knife

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I'd vote against NAXJA. It's the largest XJ forum around but definitely not as friendly as the FSJ forums. Heaven forbid you ask a question that someone else asked once 13 years ago you'll get blasted for not searching.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Thats XJ owners for ya.. NO offense to them on here lol.. but even in real life.. i noticed the wrangler and XJ owners... are.. a special kind of snob
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

candymancan wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:42 pm Thats XJ owners for ya.. NO offense to them on here lol.. but even in real life.. i noticed the wrangler and XJ owners... are.. a special kind of snob
The XJs and the older Wranglers certainly have a cult following...I'm not convinced it's not a 2.5/4.0 engine thing.

The people with the newer Wranglers tend to be better about that kind of stuff tho.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I have owned a few XJ's through out the years. I finally had a 2dr drop in my lap. I just converted it to 4wd and added a 3" lift and 31x10.5x15's. Maybe you just need a SJ to keep things real... If I need info for the XJ I go to NAXJ too.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Looks a lot like ours! OK, my parents'.

It was my mom's first car--my uncle didn't care between the XJ and the SJ my grandpa had. My mom got to choose, and she said it would've been the SJ, only the XJ was identical to one on a folder she'd wanted when she was in elementary school, so she chose the XJ.

Fast forward a couple of years, and my grandpa got sick of the 2.5. Sells the XJ and buys my mom the ZJ.

A few years later, just after they got married, my parents tracked down that exact XJ. It was beat to death, but they restored it. My dad put multiport injection on it off a '93 as well as the Wrangler pulley system, and it runs SO well now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

ghcoe wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:41 pm I have owned a few XJ's through out the years. I finally had a 2dr drop in my lap. I just converted it to 4wd and added a 3" lift and 31x10.5x15's. Maybe you just need a SJ to keep things real... If I need info for the XJ I go to NAXJ too.
Looks really clean. 2dr's are a rare bread these days.
2017 JKU Rubicon

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

sierrablue wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:47 pm Looks a lot like ours! OK, my parents'.

It was my mom's first car--my uncle didn't care between the XJ and the SJ my grandpa had. My mom got to choose, and she said it would've been the SJ, only the XJ was identical to one on a folder she'd wanted when she was in elementary school, so she chose the XJ.

Fast forward a couple of years, and my grandpa got sick of the 2.5. Sells the XJ and buys my mom the ZJ.

A few years later, just after they got married, my parents tracked down that exact XJ. It was beat to death, but they restored it. My dad put multiport injection on it off a '93 as well as the Wrangler pulley system, and it runs SO well now.
Yeah, those 2.5 carbureted motors were dogs for power. The FI really woke them up though. My first XJ had the 2.8 V6. I test drove a FI 2.5 and it would do circles around the V6.

Cool story.
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Stuka wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:48 am
ghcoe wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:41 pm I have owned a few XJ's through out the years. I finally had a 2dr drop in my lap. I just converted it to 4wd and added a 3" lift and 31x10.5x15's. Maybe you just need a SJ to keep things real... If I need info for the XJ I go to NAXJ too.
I always kept my eye out for a clean 2dr. If they were in my price range, they were beat up, if they were clean, they were way too much.

I local thrift store chain takes in autos for donations. I stopped to look at this one because it was cheap enough and looked great on the outside. The interior look great too. I thought to myself something is not right at this price, then it dawned on me. Looked under the frontend and sure enough it was only 2wd, so I purchased it for a steal and exactly what I wanted. 4.0 Sport, roll up windows, AC, 5sp, full gauges with tack (most had idiot lights and no tack), California car so no rust, 2wd so not beat up on the trails.

I just got done with the 4x4 conversion. Changed out the Dana 35 in back to a Chrysler 8.25 and installed a high pinion front axle. With the axle swap I dropped from 3.07 (manual gearing) to 3.55 (automatic gearing) put the rpm nearly the same place as with the stock wheels with the 31's.
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

ghcoe wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:37 pm
sierrablue wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:47 pm Looks a lot like ours! OK, my parents'.

Yeah, those 2.5 carbureted motors were dogs for power. The FI really woke them up though. My first XJ had the 2.8 V6. I test drove a FI 2.5 and it would do circles around the V6.

Cool story.
Now it's got the 4.0 throttle body and a header and 2.5" exhaust...it makes SO much more power than it used to. And it fires right up every time now. Only change I'd make is I'd make it a 5-speed, but my mom says no, so our search for an overdrive auto for that thing continues. Well and a turbo would be awesome... Window sticker says 3.73 gears but based on the tach at speed it's gotta be 4.56s. If you're not on pavement you can spin the tires pretty easily, although it's not advisable with the BFGs that dig a lot.

I've heard that those 2.8s are...not what one might call the best engines in the world. It's kind of funny--the Fiero guys prefer the 2.8 (the 2.5 in the Fieros had bad intake manifold designs due to a tiny engine bay), and the XJ guys prefer the 2.5.

Thank you! It's one XJ that's sure not changing hands any time soon.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

ghcoe wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:53 pm
Stuka wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:48 am
I always kept my eye out for a clean 2dr. If they were in my price range, they were beat up, if they were clean, they were way too much.

I local thrift store chain takes in autos for donations. I stopped to look at this one because it was cheap enough and looked great on the outside. The interior look great too. I thought to myself something is not right at this price, then it dawned on me. Looked under the frontend and sure enough it was only 2wd, so I purchased it for a steal and exactly what I wanted. 4.0 Sport, roll up windows, AC, 5sp, full gauges with tack (most had idiot lights and no tack), California car so no rust, 2wd so not beat up on the trails.

I just got done with the 4x4 conversion. Changed out the Dana 35 in back to a Chrysler 8.25 and installed a high pinion front axle. With the axle swap I dropped from 3.07 (manual gearing) to 3.55 (automatic gearing) put the rpm nearly the same place as with the stock wheels with the 31's.
Nice, that's such a great find. And the conversion to 4wd is really easy.
2017 JKU Rubicon