Little rant about private sellers for cars

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
candymancan

Little rant about private sellers for cars

Post by candymancan »

You know it's very frustrating buying a car from a private seller. I've noticed people hide things. They lie about titles they lie about the problems with the car they lie about a lot of stuff. I've been looking for another Jeep for like 2 months now and it's so hard to find because people have forged signatures on the titles people either. Don't have the titles. They refuse to take pictures of the frames or the floorboards or the engine bay. I've even had people who are in their thirties like me. Complain about having to get on the ground to take a picture of the frame. Or people who own these cars and don't even know what a sea channel. The frame is so I have to tell them. Take a picture of the sea channel in here and I show them a picture but they still don't get it.

The ones that really get me are the ones who live like 3 plus hours away who. Refuse? To. Take more? Than 1 or 2 pictures and tell me well come on over and look at it. Okay so i'm going to drive four hours to look at something that you can just show me a picture. And don't even get me on the people who have jeeps that are turning into dust and still Think their jeep is made Of gold.

I don't know it's just very frustrating I don't understand these sellers. It's like you've got a bunch of hillbillies who think that they have a gold mine for a Jeep that's worth nothing with a blown. Engine or bad frame or Or holes everywhere.

It's like just because you see wagon masters selling a wagoneer for $50000. They immediately think that their Jeep is worth that much money.

I don't know so I don't know if there's any sellers on here who are seeing this. But maybe you should be a little more honest with your cars
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

sierrablue

Re: Little rant about private sellers for cars

Post by sierrablue »

I guess I really don't understand why you're so upset. You're looking at the cheapest FSJ stuff--aka the stuff that's been beat into the ground, and not taken care of. Those sellers a) are more likely to hide/not mention stuff, b) less likely to have done a whole lot of work on it, and thus c) less likely to be willing to crawl underneath it. I'm 18, and I don't want to crawl underneath a truck sitting in the dirt if I don't have to. Additionally a lot of them aren't car people, let alone FSJ people, so you can't expect them to just KNOW what you're talking about. The "think they have gold" stuff--that's a pretty common thing. You know and like your stuff, and so you have a bias towards it and think it's better than it maybe is.

Additionally, if you say things like "sea channel" for "c channel", people aren't gonna have a clue what you're talking about. I had to read it 3 times before I knew what you meant.

I understand the frustration about the titles and advertising it as good when it's not, and I can kind of understand being upset about the prices for junk. I think you're forgetting though that these people have the stuff YOU want, and are not in any way obligated to cater to you or anything, as they're private sales, not public ones.

You're also complaining that everything is "junk", yet when it's been suggested by numerous people that you have 3 project Jeeps already, and should save up for something a little more up to your standards, you dismiss it. You've gotta pick a way to go.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I was on text to speach, it typed sea channle. im not an idiot.

And no ive talked to guys with better ones, theyre the same way. I mean i live on a farm, getting on the ground doesnt bother me. Youre 18 ? and cry about the dirt.. Do you wear panties too? Drinking that Trans Beer ? ? Seriously if youre gonna sell a car, take pics.

Nothing about my Jeeps are projects ? They are all fine and done, i could drive across the country with em. Litterally every part is replaced on my wagoneer just about. The ZJ's are fine, minus the transmission whining in one. Whats project about them ? The 4.0 is daily driven 200 miles a day, and the ZJ and wagoneer, i switch off daily driving. Litterally.

A rear main seal that keeps leaking, or it getting warmer than im used too due to this crappy radiator. Is hardly a beater project. All my Jeeps especially my ZJ's are in great condition. I never have to work on the ZJ's except the occasional thing , its just taken me years to get the wagoneer where it is.

My complaint is these hillbillies, forge signatures on titles, are too lazy to go to the DMV to get their title they lost, and for some reason cant squat and take a pic of the frame even through the wheel well, its frustrating as hell. Like i said im a man, not a girl who cries about laying in grass or dirt. Never seen so many whiney ass men who cant be bothered with a picture. Why would i drive 250 miles to look, when you can take a picture of the Jeep 20 feet outside your door ?

A lot of this stuff, is actually very illegal what they do on this title stuff

Hell some are too bothered to even open the door to take a pic for the interior lol, its amazing. But hey look at the way a lot of these people live, they live in filth. It shows their lazyness

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

candymancan wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:38 pm I was on text to speach, it typed sea channle. im not an idiot.

And no ive talked to guys with better ones, theyre the same way. I mean i live on a farm, getting on the ground doesnt bother me. Youre 18 ? and cry about the dirt.. Do you wear panties too? Drinking that Trans Beer ? ? Seriously if youre gonna sell a car, take pics.
Ok, and are you on text to speech when you're texting them? It adds confusion whether you actually know better or not.

Oh, I'm sorry. I literally said I'd rather not crawl around in the dirt if I don't have to. I have no problem with dirt; it's just not the most comfortable place in the world. Maybe I'm a lazy bum or maybe I've just spent enough time wrestling with the gas tank under there that I don't like it. I've done a similar amount of work on mine that you've done on yours, don't give me that BS. Did you give this ANY thought before you posted it????

As for the rest of this paragraph, are you freaking kidding me? a) my underwear is non of your business (and is not panties) b) I'm about as straight of a guy as they come, and c) I don't drink ANY beer, and I don't plan to. Unless now water is considered trans beer. Oh, and d) I have friends who ARE women who wear panties who are far more outgoing than I am. I'm not one of those guys who's afraid to get dirty or break a nail. And even if I was, that DOES NOT give you ANY right to disrespect me (and some of my friends who DO meet some of the criteria you mentioned) like this. I cannot believe you.

@Stuka, does this kind of attack fly?
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Additionally I did not call what you have now junk. I said it needed a lot of work. You've had a ton of little engine problems with it, including a lean condition that you haven't fixed, which will eventually beat a hole in your piston. And the 5.9 Limited has the transmission problems, and the 4.0 has all of those electrical problems and is generally worn out. I was pointing out that you already have huge projects, and you're looking for the cheapest project you can find that moves under its own power, which you've asked about, and several people (including me and tgreese) have said to just fix what you have and/or save up for something a little nicer
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

4.0 isnt worn out ? What electrical problems ? It drives 200 miles daily lol still gets 40 psi oil pressure at 400k still sounds and drives like it did 23 years ago.. Nothing is wrong with it. Ive never once posted about the 4.0. Ever.. not even on the Jeep.com forums lol

Just made one post the 5.9 with its whining transmission.

Ive looked at the pistons on my 360 theyre fine. It pings yea.. jist havent bothered to fix that yet.

But if you look at the amc forums.. lots of 360s ping. Aparently its a famous thing on those forums no one has been able to solve. So im not too sure this is quite the issie yet.

My 3 Jeeps.. i have no major problems to fix anymore..the 5.9s tranny.. I dont care about it shift fine still.. ill drive it till it needs a rebuild. The 4.0 absolutetly nothing nedds fixed on that cept a paint job.

The wagoneer.. ok i got a timing or lean issue.. Thats about it.. at this moment im tinkering with the damn thing.. and its boring. I litterally tokk my valve covers off to painy. and replaced the whiney power steering pump and painted the pullu.. because thats how bored i am lol.. a leaky rear main that finally stopped actually. And this possoble lean issue.. isnt major engine problems. The low oil pressure i fixed recently. It was that walmart oil.

I put the 5-40 euro mobile in and its never gone below 20 anymore. Not sure what was up with that walmart crap or maybe it was the stp oil filter.. no idea.. regardless.. this (major engine troubled 360) managed to pull 12,200 lbs combined weight (itself) Jeep and trailer 300 miles without any issues.. hardly a major issie with it.

I wanted a project to really get into.. like i did when i got my 90.. to put it simple.. my 3 Jeeps bore me with the tinkering nicknack crap.. if that makes sense ?

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

ppl THINK a quality rig is worth maybe $5,000 If that, to the " hillbilly shoppers masses" on forums too.
Ya, ppl are SO "entitled" to a low mile Garage Kept 100% OEM rig zero rust NO DENTS or repairs or mods for next to Nothing!!
And is why I've pretty much walked away from all aspects of forums buy/sell venues!!

OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

candymancan,
A couple of observations:
#1. I agree with you. People who are selling something need to be willing to provide information. If they are not, I've learned the hard way that is a dead giveaway for me to STEER CLEAR of the deception they are trying to sell. Especially when we are talking about motor vehicles which are required to have a certain level of integrity to pass State inspections, etc..
Yeah, society has become very lazy in the last 30 years. If they can't provide pictures to get me interested, even if I'm within 50 miles ... then they can sell it to somebody else.
#2. I understand a LOT more now that I know sierrablue is only 18 years old. This answers SOOOOOOO many questions that I have been kicking around about this guy. I know you will read this sierra, so try to have a modicum of humility and respect as you do ... but the fact is kid, there are members on here that literally have 3.5 to 4 x 18 years mechanical life experience that you do. Literally pulling wrenches 3 to 4 times as long as you have been alive breathing air. For us this isn't our first rodeo, and it's my opinion, from direct interaction with you ... that you need to adopt more humility, respect and self-control before you speak. Many times, you have been quite aggressive with your style of 'enlightening' all of us on here, only to be totally wrong with your statements. I know that you would benefit from taking a more ... OBSERVANT approach before you dazzle us all with your short lifetime of knowledge on every mechanical subject. Speaking from the heart, one member to another. So if you feel you need to report me to whoever, I don't care because, young man ... this needed to be said. I do not apologize for my advice to you. Hopefully you will read this and learn to give candymancan and ANY other member who has been on this forum and working on their own vehicles for 10 or 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 years ... the respect they deserve. Thanks kid.
78 FSJ AMC 360 Quadratrac