FSJ Image Sharing Site? Any Interest?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

carnuck

Re: FSJ Image Sharing Site? Any Interest?

Post by carnuck »

Vancouver, WA or BC?
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
[ O o \\|// o O ]

Post by [ O o \\|// o O ] »

carnuck wrote:Vancouver, WA or BC?
WA. I've heard the V BC is a very beautiful city but I've never been there.

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Stuka wrote:
jaber wrote:
Grand_Wag_85 wrote:Back in the day there was a site called 'FSJworld' which was essentially what you're describing. It was like Cardomain but geared towards FSJ's.

Would be neat if you could pull it off.
I lost a crap load of pics when that one folded... :banghead:
Yeah it didn't last long. Don't think I ever did here the story as to why it died.
I lost a bunch too.

I think it might have had something to do with the whole FSJ Magazine thing.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Brizio

Post by Brizio »

[ O o \|// o O ] wrote:Wow, I thought my couple of thousand pictures were a lot, you've been busy. I'd love to see what you've collected. A large collection to start with will help generate interest and participation. You and I are going to be neighbors at the end of June or early July, my wife and I are moving to Vancouver. She's going to work at her brother's dental office and I'll be a full time student. I'll PM you my contact information.
Great I'll pm you back.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:
I lost a bunch too.

I think it might have had something to do with the whole FSJ Magazine thing.
I know it was tied to the magazine, but I thought it went down before the mag got bought out.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

jaber wrote:
Grand_Wag_85 wrote:Back in the day there was a site called 'FSJworld' which was essentially what you're describing. It was like Cardomain but geared towards FSJ's.

I lost a crap load of pics when that one folded... :banghead:
I did as well.
Never again for me.
I will stick with PhotoBucket.
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Don S

Post by Don S »

I use PhotoBucket and a few others for posting URLs But all my pictures are backed up on
external hard-drives and again on flash-drives and a few CDs.

So I never have lost a photo. I did Have a Flash-drive lose a small follder once but no problem due to multi back-up.

Have a good one.. Don S..

Topic author
[ O o \\|// o O ]

I did some calling around today and I'm going to get a bid on coding a site next week. Do you like Cardomain?
I've never really looked at the site before but I want the exact opposite for my site.
They're completely compartmentalized and the images are displayed in a very small portion of the screen with most of the page displaying ads or just left blank!
I want essentially a full screen of large thumb nails that are placed close together so a user can scroll through a ton of images quickly without all the junk.

Tell me what you think of these layouts. PM me if you have any other ideas.

Here's a typical Cardomain page. A lot of wasted gray space on the sides. Ads and links to other pages. Only the center 1/3 of the screen is thumbnails but they're large enough to see easily.

I like the scrolling style of Google's image search results pretty well.
This is Google's layout with a darker background than Google uses. I think even darker would be nice.

I like this format too with the constrained image sizes. I feel like can browse faster when the images are all formatted the same.

Topic author
[ O o \\|// o O ]

Don S wrote:..

I use PhotoBucket and a few others for posting URLs But all my pictures are backed up on
external hard-drives and again on flash-drives and a few CDs.

So I never have lost a photo. I did Have a Flash-drive lose a small follder once but no problem due to multi back-up.

Have a good one.. Don S..

What do you think about a community gallery? Not a storage site but an exchange site? If I can find a simple bulk uploader and a make members' images easily accessible to everyone else, would it be worth a try?

j2sax

Post by j2sax »

I like them in the reverse order... last best, google style second and Cardomain last.

ANything is better than nothing though! I agree about FB, though the images would be difficult once you got a bunch of them on there. It would be nice to catergorize them by make... J10's, 20's, Wagoneers, Cheros, FC's, etc... (Commando on Wagoneer frames :D )

Topic author
[ O o \\|// o O ]

j2sax wrote:I like them in the reverse order... last best, google style second and Cardomain last.

ANything is better than nothing though! I agree about FB, though the images would be difficult once you got a bunch of them on there. It would be nice to catergorize them by make... J10's, 20's, Wagoneers, Cheros, FC's, etc... (Commando on Wagoneer frames :D )
I think you're right about categories, I'm going to ask about it when I go talk to the coder. I doubt there's a way to do it automatically when bulk uploading but maybe a few users would be willing to help act as sorters. User added tags will help with searches too.

What's the story on the Commando on Wagoneer frames?
Last edited by [ O o \\|// o O ] on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The one thing to remember, if you create such a site, you have to be prepared to upkeep/pay for it for many many years. Its a big investment of mostly time.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
[ O o \\|// o O ]

Stuka wrote:The one thing to remember, if you create such a site, you have to be prepared to upkeep/pay for it for many many years. Its a big investment of mostly time.
That's why I want to make it as simple as possible. And hopefully I can find a few others that would like to help sort, tag and delete inappropriate images. I've just started checking but it seems like prices are lower than they were a few years ago.

bigwalton

Post by bigwalton »

I would think that there's a gallery add on that you could add to this forum site that would be what you're looking for. Why not have it right here beside the forum? Want to talk FSJ, come to the forums. Want to look at pictures all day, click on the gallery.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
'77 Cherokee S - EFI 401
'84 Alaskan Postal Scrambler
'18 JKU Rubi Recon
'01 XJ - kid's DD
'01 XJ - winter beater
'18 Renegade

Topic author
[ O o \\|// o O ]

bigwalton wrote:I would think that there's a gallery add on that you could add to this forum site that would be what you're looking for. Why not have it right here beside the forum? Want to talk FSJ, come to the forums. Want to look at pictures all day, click on the gallery.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I thought about that but i want full resolution and most sites seem to limit display sizes. I think it would be great to have a central location.