Sunroof delete? too many headaches

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
CoconutFiasco

Sunroof delete? too many headaches

Post by CoconutFiasco »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a kit for eliminating my sunroof in my 1986 Grand Wagoneer? Its constantly causing problems, and the cons have far outweigh the pros at this point. I am ready to seal up the hole. I wanted to know if it was more complicated than just welding a piece of metal in, or if there was a kit, or if someone has done this and has tips to share.

Thanks!

tgreese

Re: Sunroof delete? too many headaches

Post by tgreese »

From what I've heard, it's difficult to repair a roof without warping the steel. Usual approach - I believe - is to take an entire roof skin from a donor vehicle and weld it to the roof perimeter in a manner similar to how the factory built the roof. I imagine it's a lot of labor, since that's a lot of weld distance to cover, and you'd need to skip weld around the perimeter. Possible it could be done with adhesive.

JMO - it's likely more practical to glue in or on a plug, possibly taken from a donor roof, for the existing sunroof. Won't be seamless, but it would keep out the water. Also possible you could turn it into a moon roof by gluing the existing glass in place.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

I've seen some interesting soft-top conversions - you've got a whole anyway. What about making a soft-top section over that part? Like what they did with the Wrangler Unlimiteds.

If it were me, I would keep the sunroof but like tgreese says, a donor roof is probably the best so that you don't see the ripples from welding in a patch panel.
My Stable:
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8, Auto, SelecTrac
1987 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), 4.0L I6, Auto, Selectrac
And a few more....

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

A good welder/ body person should be able to patch that hole without warping the roof.....notice I said good
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
CoconutFiasco

Post by CoconutFiasco »

I do like the idea of a softtop / canvas sunroof sort of thing. My main concern right now is stopping all the leaks. I know these things always kind of leak no matter what but I wanna at least try. I have my LJ to meet my emotional convertible needs so I think I am resolved to eliminate this sunroof. I will probably go with the plug idea like Tim said, using some combination of rivets and that really intense body sealer glue stuff. I am planning on just painting the roof white or off white anyways and the jeep is a good bit taller than me so it will be out of sight out of mind. Thanks for the help!

Moparmikeo

Post by Moparmikeo »

Not sure where you are located, but I have a roof available in SW PA - 60 miles south of Pittsburgh...
82 Wagoneer Limited, A/K/A "Roscoe"

Was: brown metallic/Nutmeg

Now: Turd brown house paint/Nutmeg